Options

Need help ASAP

emeraldroseemeraldrose Registered Users Posts: 324 Major grins
edited September 20, 2010 in Weddings
I'm not sure if this is the right forum so feel free to move if it's not, but I have a question I need answered quickly as something just came up.

If someone, say photographer A was hired to do a wedding and hired photographer B to help out and photograph knowing that only Photographer A would be able to sell the photographs, who owns the copyright to photographer B's images? Is photographer B allowed to use the images in their portfolio as long as they're not trying to sell the images?
thanks

Comments

• Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2010
    Here is my second shooter contract:

1. [FONT=Arial Narrow, sans-serif]Photos taken by Second Shooter at all events booked by Heather Dunn shall remain the copyright property of the second shooter. [/FONT]
    2. [FONT=Arial Narrow, sans-serif]The Second Shooter will not offer any of the photos he/ she takes at Ambience Photography booked events for sale to the client or others.[/FONT]
    3. [FONT=Arial Narrow, sans-serif]The second shooter is responsible for their own equipment and files.[/FONT]
    4. [FONT=Arial Narrow, sans-serif]The second shooter will provide Heather the culled RAW files from the event within 1 week.[/FONT]
    5. [FONT=Arial Narrow, sans-serif]The second shooter will wear professional looking clothes (black, comfortable, & professional) and arrive on time as agreed for each event. [/FONT]
    6. [FONT=Arial Narrow, sans-serif]The second shooter will have photo credit for any photos they take. Photo credit will be in the keywords of the photo and / or caption of the blog. However all the photos offered to clients will be under the copyright umbrella of Ambience Photography and Heather Dunn.[/FONT]
    7. [FONT=Arial Narrow, sans-serif]The Second Shooter agrees not to discuss or disclose any financial details of any kind with the client. The Second shooter must refer all questions to Ambience Photography.[/FONT]
    8. [FONT=Arial Narrow, sans-serif]The Second shooter agrees to not promote his or her studio work at any time while working for Ambience Photography. Failure to meet this standard will result in termination of partnership and all future weddings will be canceled with no compensation. The Associate also agrees to promote Ambience Photography through the passing out of business cards while working for Ambience Photography.[/FONT]
    9. [FONT=Arial Narrow, sans-serif]The Associate and/or Assistant may use any of the images captured on the wedding day for their own promotional use only after Ambience Photography has released all of the images to the client.[/FONT]

Obviously not everything works for everyone, but that is what I do. Good luck!
  • Options
    emeraldroseemeraldrose Registered Users Posts: 324 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2010
    thanks heather that's what I'm used to as well.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2010
    I'm not sure if this is the right forum so feel free to move if it's not, but I have a question I need answered quickly as something just came up.

If someone, say photographer A was hired to do a wedding and hired photographer B to help out and photograph knowing that only Photographer A would be able to sell the photographs, who owns the copyright to photographer B's images? Is photographer B allowed to use the images in their portfolio as long as they're not trying to sell the images?
    thanks
    Just put whatever you want in your contract, and if the bride signs it then it's her problem if she also signs something that conflicts with the other photographer's contract. Not your problem at all.

Of course, if you want to be professional about it, don't wait till the wedding for things to blow up. Sit down with the bride and ask her to contact the other photographer and make sure things are cool. That's just good business, lol...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum