EXERCISE: Night shooting

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
edited October 5, 2010 in Street and Documentary
The streets look different at night. Here's a chance to hone your night shooting skills. Exposure, white balance, motion blur and noise are all potential problems, but you can also use them creatively.

The ground rules are:

1. Outdoors, single night shot.
2. No flash or tripod/monopod--use available light.
3. Should include people.

As usual, this is not a contest, just a chance to share your experience and learn. Post your best shot in this thread no later than 4 October 2010.

Comments

• TrackerTracker Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2010
    My first purposeful attempt at Street & PJ
    C&C welcome--I want to learn.

1016137040_uqU6v-L-2.jpg
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2010
    M4-P & Delta 1600 pushed to 3200

1012635198_Qqz3u-XL.jpg
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    Patti wrote: »
    Delta 1600 pushed to 3200

1012635198_Qqz3u-XL.jpg
    I like it. Nice push.
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    Tracker wrote: »
    My first purposeful attempt at Street & PJ
    C&C welcome--I want to learn.

1016137040_uqU6v-L-2.jpg

The three children running is a great scene. However, everything in the photograph distracts me. Usually motion should help with the feel of the shot, but this shot just feels tense and blurry.

Can you attempt this again with a larger aperture?
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    Patti--Just wow--aside from the awesome night shot the comp is outstanding. Bravo.

Tracker, good job for jumping in--I am with Damon on this one.

You are both waaaaaay ahead of me. I mucked up my first attempt. I was going to ask for helpe and as I started typing a new thread to ask for help, I looked at my EXIF and think I know what I did wrong.
    Will try again.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • misterbmisterb Banned Posts: 601 Major grins
    I plan on hitting 42nd Street and Times Square.. pretty sure there's lots of lights there! nod.gif

Cool.. I get dizzy just looking.. :D

I don't know how far I can push the E-30 ISO-wise. ne_nau.gif

I know my E-520 was ok up to like ISO 800, maybe the new camera and LR3 noise reduction will allow me to go up to ISO 1600 and maintain a decent image.

Only way to find out is to get out and shoot some pics!
    damonff wrote: »
    The three children running is a great scene. However, everything in the photograph distracts me. Usually motion should help with the feel of the shot, but this shot just feels tense and blurry.

Can you attempt this again with a larger aperture?
    shot at Shutter priority AE, 1/30 sec, f/3.2, ISO 2500

Although I was there for the purpose of Street/PJ, the 3 runners were spontaneous and appeared before I had a chance to check settings, so I panned and hoped for the best. Are you saying the comp is OK, but shooting a "fixed" shot with a larger aperture and "freezing" the runners would have been better? It was pretty dark.

I first cropped the RR xing out thinking the pic was too busy, but decided to leave it as I thought it was part of the story.

Thanks for the insights. Back to the drawing board.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins

1012635198_Qqz3u-S.jpg

love it
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    shot at Shutter priority AE, 1/30 sec, f/3.2, ISO 2500

Although I was there for the purpose of Street/PJ, the 3 runners were spontaneous and appeared before I had a chance to check settings, so I panned and hoped for the best. Are you saying the comp is OK, but shooting a "fixed" shot with a larger aperture and "freezing" the runners would have been better? It was pretty dark.

I first cropped the RR xing out thinking the pic was too busy, but decided to leave it as I thought it was part of the story.

Thanks for the insights. Back to the drawing board.

I think you've done well. The shot is slightly too fuzzy but the idea is very good and extra points for seeing something and simply reacting. I would normally keep the ISO at 3200 and operate in manual mode, but if you're not comfortable with that, Aperture mode would be the second option.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited September 23, 2010
    michswiss wrote: »
    I think you've done well. The shot is slightly too fuzzy but the idea is very good and extra points for seeing something and simply reacting.

I agree. In retrospect, it might have been more interesting if you had been able to get more of the railroad crossing into the frame at the left. But it's tough to see it all when you're reacting to the moment.

I went out last night for a first stab at this exercise, but the results were underwhelming. rolleyes1.gif I have a long way to go.
    Patti--Just wow--aside from the awesome night shot the comp is outstanding. Bravo.
    Qarik wrote: »
    love it

Thanks Liz & Qarik. Looking forward to your shots.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer

patti hinton photography
    Richard wrote: »
    I agree. In retrospect, it might have been more interesting if you had been able to get more of the railroad crossing into the frame at the left. But it's tough to see it all when you're reacting to the moment.

I went out last night for a first stab at this exercise, but the results were underwhelming. rolleyes1.gif I have a long way to go.

+1 here. It's so tough to grab the perfect shot on the fly. I think you've done well under the circumstances.
    From an armchair quarterback standpoint, more of the crossing with the boys running toward it would have been perfect provided they weren't playing chicken with that oncoming train approaching eek7.gif

patti hinton photography
    damonff wrote: »
    I like it. Nice push.

Thanks Damon. I'm going to try some more.

patti hinton photography
    noob question. "1600 pushed to 3200"? I'm assuming it means you shot it at ISO 1600 and used exposure adjustment PP to simulate 3200.
    Tracker,
    I exposed and shot 1600 ASA film as though it was 3200ASA then had the lab develop it as though it was 3200 film. Hope that explains it well.

patti hinton photography
    Tracker,
    I exposed and shot 1600 ASA film as though it was 3200ASA then had the lab develop it as though it was 3200 film. Hope that explains it well.

OK. I knew you could do that with film. I was thinking the original source was digital. Thanks. :D
    edited September 24, 2010
    Ok.. here's my contribution to "Night Shooting" (shot at ISO 3200 at F2.8 or 3.5) with Image Stabilization On, Noise Reduction on High.

Shot in and around 42nd Street and Times Square (I like the area that's closed to traffic- very cool.)

The guy on the right was actually a "photo-hustler" that had a rolling cart with laptop/printer/frames/and templates.. NYC "ThugMug" mwink.gif @ $20.00 per 8x10!

1020013933_3QzZu-XL-2.jpg
    #1 is your best shot. He's a player or likes to think he is. I can imagine the lines he gives the ladies. Laughing.gif

patti hinton photography
    #1 is your best shot. He's a player or likes to think he is. I can imagine the lines he gives the ladies. Laughing.gif

It's funny but I thought the same thing! :D

That one will be my keeper for this thread.. I just realized only 1 image is required in the first post by Richard.
    very cool, misterb. Did you shoot it 150mm?
    very cool, misterb. Did you shoot it 150mm?

54mm 1/160th @ f 3.5 ISO 3200 Noise Reduction on, Image Stabilization on.
  • desertfischdesertfisch Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited September 25, 2010
    Waiting on the train.
    After seeing what has gone before I just hope this measures up. Shot at ISO 3200, 1/80th, f 2.8

1021075695_kHS5A-L.jpg

Sony a550, 50mm f1.4

www.desertfisch.smugmug.com
    can't sing, can't draw, so here it is.
    After seeing what has gone before I just hope this measures up. Shot at ISO 3200, 1/80th, f 2.8

Sony a550, 50mm f1.4

www.desertfisch.smugmug.com

I was hammered once for trying a shot through louvres, but it's really tempting to try. The exposure is well done and the train approaching with the lone person facing away is nice. It's the frame created under the station name with, bushes, that doesn't work. It separates your subjects and attracts the eye.
    Here's my night shot. Trying to deal with backlighting is always fun.
    1021212513_PMAEP-XL.jpg
    It is fun but you've mastered it here Jenn. I really like this one. The contrast of the isolated man in darkness and the brightness of the interacting people in the background plus the person on the left appearing to observe him without engaging him strike me as a visual expression of the sadness and the isolating effects of depression. It's quite a social statement to me.

patti hinton photography
    It is fun but you've mastered it here Jenn. I really like this one. The contrast of the isolated man in darkness and the brightness of the interacting people in the background plus the person on the left appearing to observe him without engaging him strike me as a visual expression of the sadness and the isolating effects of depression. It's quite a social statement to me.

He looks like a castaway.. detached, disengaged, a fringe-dweller who never really got his break.. all alone. Or, maybe he likes it that way..

:D
    Just a castaway, an island lost at sea-o
    Another lonely day, no one here but me-o ...

Sorry, it just jumped into my head after your castaway reference Bob. ne_nau.gif

patti hinton photography
    I love the Police!

Thanks Patti, it was very late at night and part of a funeral. Clothes were being burnt on the sidewalk. I'm known on this corner and I sat with them and watched for 30 minutes before taking this shot. It was inappropriate to attribute "fun" to the shot. It was more about technique.
    misterb wrote: »
    He looks like a castaway.. detached, disengaged, a fringe-dweller who never really got his break.. all alone. Or, maybe he likes it that way..

:D

MrB. You are flippant.