Options

Scanned 35mm film& review

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited September 21, 2010 in Technique
I recently tried to get an Epson all in one to scan, print, copy, direct print to CDs, but was only mediocre at these tasks so back it went.

Used the store credit to get a Canon 9000f scanner. I have some old 35mm film negatives shot with a point and shoot. So I thought I would give the 9000f a trial go at scanning a negative.

I found the 9000f a breeze to set up and use. Software seems to have a lot of advanced adjustment options, yet easy to use. I found the regular image, photo, etc. scans easy fast and great detail, and good color.

The negative holder and process to scan the film was easy as well. If you use the higher settings IE: 4800 or 9600 resolutions you will have time for coffee. :D The one test scan I did at 4800 created a 90 MB file. The resolution was enough to print a 12X18 at about 350 ppi.

Boy howdy that 35mm negative had a ton of dust and spots!! I didn't spend an excessive amount of time on it but in CS5 the content aware healing brush made short work of the big stuff.

Here is the result.

Sam

Comments

• Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2010
    Thanks for the information. Looks like it did a nice job on that picture (so far as one call tell from a small web image, at least).

Does it come with holders for 120 or 220 film as well?
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,848 moderator
    According to Canon the 9000F scanner, "Supports the Medium Format up to a maximum of 6 x 22cm."

The included accessories contain a medium format film guide as well as a medium format retainer sheet, which I don't understand as I don't have the scanner.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    It comes with holders for 35mm film negatives, 35mm slides, and 120 film negatives.

While the example I posted was a first attempt, and done pretty quickly I have more detail than the original print shows.

I think the biggest issue is the negative was shot with a small point and shoot, and on full auto, so who knows what the settings were. Hand held with no clue as to camera shake, or shutter speed. (Yes I took the image)

I am going to see if I can find a nice clean 120 negative to scan. Got one? :D

Sam