Options

Raw Images using 7D

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited September 26, 2010 in Cameras
I do quite a lot of motor sport photography and I have always been in the habit of shooting raw using my 40D. With a 4GB card I was able to get around 300 images.
I have just noticed on my new 7D using a same 4GB card and I see the maximum is 150 images.
I also use trhe continuous mode so it would appear I am going to be kept going changing cards and at the same time investing in more cards as I usually shoot around the 1500 images on a good shoot. Has anyone any views on this or advice.
Cheers
Bob

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited September 21, 2010
    I noticed the same thing when I started using my 7D. I've started buying 8GB cards to supplement the 4's I already had.

If you're planning to buy more cards, why not switch to 8GB cards? That will put you back at the same number of images that you were getting on 4GB cards with your 40D.

--- Denise
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    canon400d wrote: »
    I do quite a lot of motor sport photography and I have always been in the habit of shooting raw using my 40D. With a 4GB card I was able to get around 300 images.
    I have just noticed on my new 7D using a same 4GB card and I see the maximum is 150 images.
    I also use trhe continuous mode so it would appear I am going to be kept going changing cards and at the same time investing in more cards as I usually shoot around the 1500 images on a good shoot. Has anyone any views on this or advice.
    Cheers
    Bob

18mp images take a lot of data. I was using 8gb cards and just this day went to 16gb. with my two 7Ds.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    You may experiment with JPG settings like Picture style, highlight tone priority, light optimizer, i find it very useful when i have less memory and lots of photos to shoot. 7D's jpgs are very nice straight out of camera (atleast for my use). I have Kingston 16gb 133x cards and they might be little slow for your use.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2010
    I bought a Transcend 32GB 400x UDMA card for $109 at Amazon. I can take 2.2k photos or something ridiculous on it (in jpeg). Memory is cheap -- Get a 16GB or 32GB card, but since you do motorsports make sure they are fast -- none of that 133x stuff.
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    I use fast 16 gb cards
  • Options
    paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    There are two schools of thought about this. (1) get big cards so you don't have to keep swapping them. (2) Stick with smaller cards so that if one fails, you lose fewer images. that pretty well sums up the choice. With a 50D, which is intermediate in RAW file size between your two cameras, I use an 8GB most of the time and keep my fingers crossed, because I have never had a card fail. (I have used almost exclusively SanDisk, for what that limited experience is worth). However, I shoot fewer per day than you do.
  • Options
    paddler4 wrote: »
    There are two schools of thought about this. (1) get big cards so you don't have to keep swapping them. (2) Stick with smaller cards so that if one fails, you lose fewer images. that pretty well sums up the choice. With a 50D, which is intermediate in RAW file size between your two cameras, I use an 8GB most of the time and keep my fingers crossed, because I have never had a card fail. (I have used almost exclusively SanDisk, for what that limited experience is worth). However, I shoot fewer per day than you do.

Thanks ever so much for all the input on this subject. I have numerous Sandisk Extreme 4gb 30mb cards and the reason I went for the 4gb was in case one of the cards failed. However, I am so pleased to say I have never had a failed card. Having said that I will now probably get one.
    I will go for the Sandisk 8gb 60mb cards just in case one of them fails. Although it would be great to use a 16gb knowing I could get around 600 images without changing the card. I do know from past experience I have lost many a good shot on a card change over.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    Thanks ever so much for all the input on this subject. I have numerous Sandisk Extreme 4gb 30mb cards and the reason I went for the 4gb was in case one of the cards failed. However, I am so pleased to say I have never had a failed card. Having said that I will now probably get one.
    I will go for the Sandisk 8gb 60mb cards just in case one of them fails. Although it would be great to use a 16gb knowing I could get around 600 images without changing the card. I do know from past experience I have lost many a good shot on a card change over.
    Cheers
    Bob

Why wait until a card is chocko full? There's gotta be a break or a few in the events, change your card to a fresh one when the card that's in doesn't have what you estimate you'll need to complete the event, even though it's not full.ne_nau.gif

I have a Sandisk Extreme 8GB 60mbs UDMA, and it is very greasy.:D

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    You can use 2nd slot for other 8gb card, but you have to buy one more 7D. Kidding ;)

I hope you are enjoying 7D, i totally love mine!
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2010
    paddler4 wrote: »
    There are two schools of thought about this. (1) get big cards so you don't have to keep swapping them. (2) Stick with smaller cards so that if one fails, you lose fewer images. that pretty well sums up the choice.

For most people, after you buy your first camera this isn't a choice, but the way it works out anyway. For my first DSLR I bought a set of 1GB cards 5 years ago, then 2GB and 4GB as prices fell. Then, when I got the 7D, I needed to buy 8GB cards. But as is probably the case with most people, buying big new cards did not mean stopping the use of my older cards, which means that as a matter of course, I have a mix of large and small cards providing a range of options for volume or safety.
  • Options
    NeilL wrote: »
    Why wait until a card is chocko full? There's gotta be a break or a few in the events, change your card to a fresh one when the card that's in doesn't have what you estimate you'll need to complete the event, even though it's not full.ne_nau.gif

I have a Sandisk Extreme 8GB 60mbs UDMA, and it is very greasy.:D

Neil

Thanks Neil. I have just ordered a Sandisk Extreme 8gb 60mbs and I take it when you say it is very greasy you are pleased with it!! Should I find a big difference between this card and the 4gb 30mbs I have been using with my 40D. If this is so I am beginning to think I will be needing a few more 8gb cards.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    You can use 2nd slot for other 8gb card, but you have to buy one more 7D. Kidding ;)

I hope you are enjoying 7D, i totally love mine!

Thanks Awais I follow you quite a lot on Dgrin and I know you are enjoying your 7D by the remarks you have been making. I don't consider myself in your league but I am sure I will enjoy my 7D once I get all these finer points ironed out from my 40D which I would recommend to anyone.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    I use 2g, 4g, and 8g cards. Next one I buy will be a 16g. The files are indeed big, but oh-so-worth-it!
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    Bob, how large are the prints you are making from your racing photos?

On a 7D, you can shoot mRAW and get almost twice as many files per card. Unless you really, really need 18MPixels, this might work for you. I shoot my family snapshots in mRAW, and only use the full size RAW when I need it. Just a thought, and cheaper than replacing all your CF cards.

Don't any of the previous posters ever shoot mRAW?

I think one 16Gb card will hold a whole days worth of mRAW files, too. My 7D shows 888 mRAW files on a 16Gb card, so maybe you'll need two cards for 1500 images, but that is a lot better than trying to juggle 4Gb cards.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Bob, how large are the prints you are making from your racing photos?

On a 7D, you can shoot mRAW and get almost twice as many files per card. Unless you really, really need 18MPixels, this might work for you. I shoot my family snapshots in mRAW, and only use the full size RAW when I need it. Just a thought, and cheaper than replacing all your CF cards.

I think one 16Gb card will hold a whole days worth of mRAW files, too. My 7D shows 888 mRAW files on a 16Gb card, so maybe you'll need two cards for 1500 images, but that is a lot better than trying to juggle 4Gb cards.

Thanks Pathfinder, the prints vary in size. I don't really need to use 18MP. What you have said is certainly food for thought and I will change to mRaw and give it a try. I can forsee juggling 4gb cards would create a problem and the 8gb card I have ordered is £38.99p so to order more would be damned expensive.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    Thanks Neil. I have just ordered a Sandisk Extreme 8gb 60mbs and I take it when you say it is very greasy you are pleased with it!! Should I find a big difference between this card and the 4gb 30mbs I have been using with my 40D. If this is so I am beginning to think I will be needing a few more 8gb cards.
    Cheers
    Bob

I've got a 40D, but I'm seeing a few comments from 7D owners that a fast 8GB card is good with it.

Neil

• Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    Memory is so cheap these days that I prefer to always shoot full 21megapixel raw shots on my 5D. When I got my first DSLR, the Canon 10D the 256Mb card I got at the same time was well over $300

Now I have a few fast 8Gb and 4gb sandisk extreme's for everyday shooting, (about 30gb in total) and 3 very cheap (the cheapest I could find, trancend and adata) 16gb cards for when I'm going away and need extra storage or am shooting video.

I've never had a card go bad on me, nor have any of my shooting buddies, but I've certainly missed moments when the card fills up and you don't realise it. So I suggest buying the largest card that's still economical (the 32gb's were still overpriced last time I looked)
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    jogle wrote: »
    I've certainly missed moments when the card fills up and you don't realise it.

And what about the shots you (= me) miss when you don't have a card in the camera in the first place?!!!eek7.gifwink:Drolleyes1.gif

Neil

• Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2010
    NeilL wrote: »
    And what about the shots you (= me) miss when you don't have a card in the camera in the first place?!!!eek7.gifwink:Drolleyes1.gif

Neil

Turning off the option that lets you shoot without a card in stops that from happening accidentally. But I keep my old cards (the 1gb and smaller) tucked away in the lining of my camera bags for when I forget my normal set of cards.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    jogle wrote: »
    Turning off the option that lets you shoot without a card in stops that from happening accidentally.

Yep, James, I'll get round to that eventually!:D

Neil

• Options
    pathfinder wrote: »

Nope...paid for 18mp and I gonna use 18mp. You just never know shooting wildlife when you are going to want/need it.

That would be like going out with a 70-200 instead of a 100-400 and hope you get close enough.:D
  • Options
    Ric Grupe wrote: »
    Nope...paid for 18mp and I gonna use 18mp. You just never know shooting wildlife when you are going to want/need it.

That would be like going out with a 70-200 instead of a 100-400 and hope you get close enough.:D

Just received my 8gb card and it certainly works well in continuous in the 7D. I am awfie tempted to purchase a 16gb but I would be terrified it packs up on me so I may take Pathfinders advice for the time being.
    Tell me Ric what is the exact benefits from shooting Raw and mRaw. I know the size of the pixels are different but is the difference only for the size of prints at the end of the day or does it show in the quality of the photo? Hope I have made myself clear.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    I have 3 of these, LINK
    In jpg, I get about 2000 shots per card with the 7D, 1800 with the 5DMKII.
    They aren't real fast, but they have been very good to me.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    edited September 26, 2010
    davev wrote: »
    I have 3 of these, LINK
    In jpg, I get about 2000 shots per card with the 7D, 1800 with the 5DMKII.
    They aren't real fast, but they have been very good to me.

Thanks for that Dave.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    Just received my 8gb card and it certainly works well in continuous in the 7D. I am awfie tempted to purchase a 16gb but I would be terrified it packs up on me so I may take Pathfinders advice for the time being.
    Tell me Ric what is the exact benefits from shooting Raw and mRaw. I know the size of the pixels are different but is the difference only for the size of prints at the end of the day or does it show in the quality of the photo? Hope I have made myself clear.
    Cheers
    Bob

More data in full size file allows for more flexibility in composition via crop while processing image. This may not matter to you for what you are doing...it does matter to me.:D
  • Options
    Ric Grupe wrote: »
    More data in full size file allows for more flexibility in composition via crop while processing image. This may not matter to you for what you are doing...it does matter to me.:D

Thanks for that Ric I appreciate what you say and I am sure you are right it won't matter to me taking photos of motor rallying through the forests etc etc.
    Cheers
    Bob