Options

Looking for a Camera Backpack

mud390mud390 Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
edited September 24, 2010 in Accessories
I'm looking for a camera backpack. I need to be able to carry a D80 with a couple of zooms, 2 primes, 1 flash, and a few odds and ends. Here's the catch, I want to be able to carry my tripod on the bag. I don't need a laptop sleeve. I'd like to be able to access at least the body with a lens attached, but it's not a deal breaker. I also don't want the bag to be enormous. I'm using a Lowepro Slingshot 200 right now and like it, but it really wears on my shoulder and neck on those long days. I looked at a Tamrac Evolution a couple days ago and it seemed alright. Any ideas?!

Kris

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2010
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    mud390 wrote: »
    I'm looking for a camera backpack. I need to be able to carry a D80 with a couple of zooms, 2 primes, 1 flash, and a few odds and ends. Here's the catch, I want to be able to carry my tripod on the bag. I don't need a laptop sleeve. I'd like to be able to access at least the body with a lens attached, but it's not a deal breaker. I also don't want the bag to be enormous. I'm using a Lowepro Slingshot 200 right now and like it, but it really wears on my shoulder and neck on those long days. I looked at a Tamrac Evolution a couple days ago and it seemed alright. Any ideas?!

Kris

I built a belt system using a Military 3" (or are they4") webbed pistol belt with matching suspenders.
    on this I put 2 LowePro 75AW's, in them I carry 1 flash , 1d300 with lens attached: 1body + 18-70 (or 70-200 or 18-200), 2nd body will have the sigma 50-500 with lens hood reversed.
    my Giottos tripod and monopod both came with shoulder straps....so everything is accessible without ever removing the belt system from my body.......so everything I carry is very secure. I have plenty of room for several extra batteries for both cams and flash, I also have lowepro's memory card pouch (DMC-Z) attached to the outside of each 75AW....normally carrying 12 - 8gb cards at all times.........

I have used the slingshots prior tro building the above belt system....even with a slingshot on for a 500-750 mile MC ride I never had any shoulder pain or tiredness from the slingshots.......I changed to the belt system because I could not wear my camelback hydration pack with the slingshot and for long rides that is a must.............

Good luck.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    zentricksterzentrickster Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
  • Options
    KevinhooaKevinhooa Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited September 24, 2010
    Kind of different than the shoulder slings your talking about, but a snowboard company called Burton has started making several different backpacks to carry camera gear and they've been getting great reviews. I used their Zoom pack for a couple years and it was tough as nails and just upgraded to the new zoom this past winter and it's got some great new features. Just my 2 cents. :D

http://www.burton.com/mens-bags-luggage-packs/mens-bags-luggage-packs,default,sc.html

It's under the Photo Bags tab.
    Kevin H. (Owls Flight)

There seems to be less and less garden in this state.