Options

Candle Workshop

gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
edited August 13, 2005 in Holy Macro
A couple of weeks ago my daughters and I visted a candle workshop in Cheshire, for a quid each you could make your own candles:

To save time they pre-prepare the wicks for you using racks
29784013-L.jpg

and dip them to this stage
29784001-L.jpg

At this point we take over, dipping in wax then cold water to build them up
29784000-L.jpg

Then choose your colours
29784002-L.jpg

and dip again
29784004-L.jpg

The guy in charge didn't trust us to twist :rolleyes so he did this bit for us
29784009-L.jpg

Bobs yer uncle, 4 candles!
29784010-L.jpg

Oh yeah! and then you have to have a chocolate shake and think about how you could have done it better :D
29783997-L.jpg

Click on the pics for exif

comments and critiqiues always welcomed :thumb

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005
    excellent series - compos, exposures, very creative use of dof, and your daughter is a gem.

and milkshakes! 1drink.gif
  • Options
    MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005
    Excellent series Gubbs, very well done! clap.gifthumb.gif

AJ
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005
    Very cool Gubbs, but what the heck is a quid????? lol3.gif

Ed
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005
    I echo what everyone else has said so far. Great series Gubbs, I really enjoyed seeing these.
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005
    I would have to agree with all the previous comments, especially about the DOF. It really made the shots even more interesting.

Nick
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005
    I just looked up "quid" in my handy dandy dictionary. The definition is: noun, piece of tobacco to be chewed.

Don't know what to think about a country where they want a chunk of chewing tobacco for a candle, but I know what to think about the photos! Top notch. The one of your daughter will be a real keepsake.

Sam
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    I just looked up "quid" in my handy dandy dictionary. The definition is: noun, piece of tobacco to be chewed.
    Sam

quid:pound :: buck:dollar

money3.gif
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005
    Excellent stuff Gubbs. Love them all.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005
    ehughes wrote:
    Very cool Gubbs, but what the heck is a quid????? lol3.gif

Ed
    just a little short of a squid and does not smell as bad --you know those english --very good post and story Gubbs thumb.gifclap
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2005
    Thanks for all the comments... thumb.gif

Ed and Sam, You got me wondering about the "quid" and why pennies were represented by "d"?? then of coure there's the monkey and the pony ne_nau.gif so after a bit of googling I came up with this

quid = one pound (£1) or a number of pounds sterling. Plural uses singular form, eg., 'Fifteen quid is all I want for it..', or 'I won five hundred quid on the horses yesterday..'. The slang money expression 'quid' seems first to have appeared in late 1600's England, when it originally meant a guinea (and according to Brewer's 1870 dictionary, a sovereign) and later transferred to mean a pound in the 1700's. In older times the plural form of quids was also used, although nowadays only very young children would mistakenly use the word 'quids'. Usage is now generally confined to 'quid' regardless of quantity, although the plural survives in the expression 'quids in', meaning 'in profit', used particularly when expressing surprise at having benefited from an unexpectedly good financial outcome, for example enjoying night out at the local pub and winning more than the cost of the evening in a raffle. Traditional reference sources of word and slang origins (Partridge, OED, Brewer, Shadwell, Cassells, etc) suggest that the slang 'quid' for pound is probably derived from the Latin 'quid', meaning 'what', particularly in the expression 'quid pro quo', meaning to exchange something for something else (loosely 'what for which'), and rather like the use of the word 'wherewithal', to mean money. However a more interesting origin (thanks for prompt, KG) is that the 'quid' might well derive, additionally or even alternately, from the now closed-down Quidhampton paper mill, at Quidhampton near Salisbury in Wiltshire, South-West England, which apparently many years ago manufactured the special paper for the production of banknotes. Indeed the use of the 'quid' slang word for money seems to have begun (many sources suggest the late 1600's) around the time that banknotes first appeared in England (The Bank of England issued its first banknotes in 1694). The secrecy and security surrounding banknote paper production might explain on one hand why such an obvious possible derivation has been overlooked by all the main etymological reference sources, but on the other hand it rather begs the question as to how such a little-known secret fact could have prompted the widespread adoption of the slang in the first place. Watch this space..

Which I found here ... interesting stuff rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    aurafloraauraflora Registered Users Posts: 471 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2005
    These are wonderful photos and I enjoyed viewing the colorful and creative process of candle making.

Your choice of DOF is great as well as your angles.

Michal
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2005
    Hi Gubbs,
    Thanks for the series, quite interesting and looks like fun. The events are well displayed with your photos. Makes me want to go make some candles. I need a clone to work for me so I can play all day:D.

Thanks for sharing,
    Chris

I like the expression you caught on your daughter. Very natural and pleasing.

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    edited August 13, 2005
    I need a clone to work for me so I can play all day:D.
    Don't we all rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for comments Michal & Chris, much apreciated thumb.gif
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 13, 2005
    Bob's yer uncle!!! rolleyes1.gif Haven't heard that in years.

Excellent series Gubbereeno and your daughter (?) is beautiful. thumb.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited August 13, 2005
    fun stuff!

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2005
    Very cool series and story. Not to mention some very fine looking finished products.