Options

Beginner Portable Studio Light Suggestions

HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
edited November 23, 2010 in Accessories
Hi all --

I'm working on my x-mas list a bit and one of the things I'd like to include is a starter lighting setup. I'm thinking something with a couple of strobes, softboxes, stands, etc. Honestly I don't know anything about them to know what to ask for. I don't want over the top expensive, but I'm not looking at going to cheap, where I'll regret the gear as I become more familiar with using it.

I was eyeballing this Elinchrom setup:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/674263-REG/Elinchrom_EL_20815KIT_D_Lite_IT_400Ws_2_Light.html

But I knowing of lighting brands. I hear people taking of Alien bees, but i don't know how they compare.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Camera: Nikon D4
Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2010
    "Portable".

Are you a Strobist reader? If not... strobist.blogspot.com. Read the "101" posts.

You can do a LOT with a couple of speedlights which are infinitely more portable than studio strobes. Have a read and see what you think - tons of information there to digest :D
  • Options
    InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2010
    I also think Strobist is a site you should check out. Its awesome!
  • Options
    20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    Another Strobist vote as there can be some pretty great results accomplished with just a two flash set up, one on camera(sync cord) and the other on a stand.

Check out this video from JACOBthePHOTOGRAPHER.

http://www.youtube.com/user/JACOBthePHOTOGRAPHER#p/u/7/tQKqj4W0QWI
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • Options
    HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    The strobist information is very interesting, and granted i'm still going through it, but it brings up another question. So far a lot of the material seems to show the bonus of using a speedlight is trying to save money. I'm coming across a lot of DIY tips and trying to save a buck.

Granted, I'm not made of money, yet I'm not a huge DIY kind of person. From a portability stand point I can see that not having to need a battery pack with you helps a great deal with portability. However, whats the flip side to the argument? When does the more powerful strobes and gear start to shine?
    Camera: Nikon D4
    Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
    Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2010
    Helvegr wrote: »
    Hi all --

I'm working on my x-mas list a bit and one of the things I'd like to include is a starter lighting setup. I'm thinking something with a couple of strobes, softboxes, stands, etc. Honestly I don't know anything about them to know what to ask for. I don't want over the top expensive, but I'm not looking at going to cheap, where I'll regret the gear as I become more familiar with using it.

I was eyeballing this Elinchrom setup:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/674263-REG/Elinchrom_EL_20815KIT_D_Lite_IT_400Ws_2_Light.html

But I knowing of lighting brands. I hear people taking of Alien bees, but i don't know how they compare.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Remeber that with Elinchrom you are paying a lot for the name alone.........Alien Bees are made by Paul Buff in Nashville Tn.........they make quality gear that has been used backstage at several prestigious awards show in Hollywood.......this year alone....academy Awards and Golden globes I noticed them when they showed the stars getting shots before coming to the stage........they do not cost a lot (for what you are getting) but the customer service from the Paul Buff companies is second to none........not all of us that shoot with speedlights are trying to save a buck or 2 ....my Nikon SB900 run just under $500 each...but I get built in wireless and I can control the flash from the camera..........or you can go the Vivatar 285HV route (they were the workhorse of the flash industry for over 30 yrs) and have a powerful and reliable speedlight to work with.......most people using speedlights are shooting portraits and are usually in locations that would be hard to get studio flashes to and they would take very heavy (Paul Buff Vagabond weighing in at approx 35#) battery packs in to that location...so speedlights and enuff AA batteries or a Quantum or an Al Jacobs Black Box Battery (this will be replacing all my quantums ) to get the job done.

Here is my thoughts on flashes, as it was put to me over 30 yrs ago by Peter Gowland (never heard of him then Google his name :~} ).......buy the best flash you can afford, get the most power you can afford, keep the model the same for all the units you buy. This way it won't matter what flash is your main, fill or background flash...........buy as many (2-4) that you can afford.....but most of all get the most power you can afford, because you can always dial down a flash or add ND filters to it if you need to cut the power down........but that unit will not produce more than it max power rating no matter what you do to it.........so if you only have 200 watts and you need 800 watts you're sunk..........I have been using White Lightning 5000's (Very early Paul Buff flash units, way before Alien Bees) for over 25 yrs and I have had to turn down jobs that required more powerful lighting than I have.....or I have had to rent the gear........

The more powerful units shine...when you need MORE POWER and super fast recycle times and very consistent color temp........a speedlight can take upto 10 seconds to totally recharge the firing capacitor.....some
    studio strobes can recharge in less than a second......I am talking shooting both (speedlight or studio flash) at full manual power...........

And Paul Buff is intro'ing a new powerpack for his lights that is extremely small but still powerful so he may be putting his own Vagabond system into obsolescence in the very near future..........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2010
    Is there anything light specific about these battery packs? The main specs between a Vagabond and other companies doesn't seem like much, but the prices range from about $300 for the Vagabond though $1600 for the Profoto. They all seem to be about the same. Then there are non-Photographic systems like Black & Decker that are billed for starting your car or running AC applicances while camping. Again the total capacity (AmpHours) are comparable, and those can be as cheap as $150 or so. I haven't found a clear difference in what you get between options.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2010
    Those Elinchrome are Portable, but not for locations without power. I see nothing that says they support battery packs.

As far as the Vagabond vs Profoto battery kits, really no difference except the Vagabond has outlets vs the Profoto that has connectors specifically for their light heads. So one is for mono lights the other is for pack lights, 2 completely different beasts. You could use a Vagabond with the standard Profoto pack requiring 120-220V (not using their battery pack, just the original power pack for the lights) and it should work the same as spending the$$$$ for their battery pack.

You can also DIY your own portable power. Buy an Inverter (MUST be pure sine wave, not the cheap kinds that will fry your lights) and a deep cycle marine battery and you're off. I did my own for about $350 and has about 3x the capacity of the Vagabond.
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    Is there anything light specific about these battery packs? The main specs between a Vagabond and other companies doesn't seem like much, but the prices range from about $300 for the Vagabond though $1600 for the Profoto. They all seem to be about the same. Then there are non-Photographic systems like Black & Decker that are billed for starting your car or running AC applicances while camping. Again the total capacity (AmpHours) are comparable, and those can be as cheap as $150 or so. I haven't found a clear difference in what you get between options.

the difference is in the kind, type of wave produced by the power supply....the vagabonds are a current-controlled, pure sine wave power source.
    B/D and other non photographic power supplies are not and will damage the lights
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,904 moderator
    edited November 23, 2010
    Many of the digitally controlled electronic flash units require either true "mains" power from an outlet or specially designed portable power that is tailored to the specific needs of the digital flashes.

Analog controlled flashes are usually fine with either mains power or portable power as long as the power is from a "true" or "pure" sine wave inverter. "Modified" sine wave inverters should not be used with any flash because they contain too much digital power noise (dirty power) and too little RMS power per volt (after accounting for the loss that occurs in high-draw units like flash units.)

Manufacturers may not warrant their flashes if they are used with a power source that damages the flash, so your safest recourse is to use a manufacturer recommended power supply for their flash units. If you use other power supplies, than the recommended power supplies, it could be a costly gamble whether they are safe and you might be liable for damages to the flash units.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,904 moderator
    edited November 23, 2010
    I should add that my preference is to use battery powered flashes in remote situations. I have both handle bracket flashes and hot shoe flashes (speedlights/speedlites) that I can mount and fire into umbrellas for my most portable situations.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    Three speedlights ($300)
    Three lightstands with umbrella/hotshoe holders ($100)
    Portable setup to go anywhere with that fits in a bookbag? (priceless)

I carry two lightstands with umbrellas and the rest goes in the bag. I definitely got my inspiration from the strobist. :)

76050_10150312480650618_706940617_15302978_7745060_n.jpg
    (that's two SB600s stacked on top of each other and RF602 remote flash receivers/trigger)

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    I use my SBs outside during the middle of the day and never have problems...? I charge all the batteries together and have never run out or had issues at a wedding or an outdoor shoot. Reflectors are alright if you have extra hands but I'm sure you have a solution for that since I'm guessing you've had plenty of experience with outdoor shoots (guessing from your responses) :D

The AB would need a power source outside too, remember that. Rechargeable double A's are a dime a dozen everywhere (well, $20 including charger).

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2010
    richy wrote: »
    How do the flashes do for power? I have seen people show that you need 4 580 ii's to equal one AB800. This is something I keep looking at but AB charge insane shipping costs. I considered the whole strobist flashes route but I keep falling back to just using some reflectors. My usage would be mostly outdoors so I am following this with interest :) there are some semi decent flashes to be had for 40-50usd and one ab800 buys 5 of them at least! Plus no need for battery packs, just the higher recharge time (5-7 seconds for a cheap flash, 2-3 for a decent flash or 1 second for an ab). I should add this is one area I've never really played with. I am happy using flash for fill or sunset shots but I normally try to stick to natural light otherwise so pleasec any schooling is much appreciated!

As to power and recharge time......if you move away from AA batts including rechargable one and go with a battery pack...ie.....Quantum or Al Jacobs Black box....they cut recycle times waaaay down and now there are cables for the SB900 nikon flash and Al Jacobs has made sure his power backs will work properly with them........
    I prefer the use of a powerpack over AA batteries of any type.

AB shipping for an AB 1600 is only 9.87......if you were talking Vagabond batteries...yes they will be higher that is an actual sealed battery....cannnot get a shipping price as they are on backorder, but yes they are higher due to the fact that they are usually considered as hazardous since they have a 12v battery ( it is either a lead acid or gel sealed battery and i do not remeber which) ......vagabond mini is also only 9.42 and it has dang near the same power as the original....
    the above shipping prices are to me in wichita ks...gonna be higher or lower depending on where you are located....but I have never had to pay insane shipping for anything I have purchased from Palu buff...I never bought the vagabond system but I am looking heavily at the newest addition as it is quite small......

As to off camera location flashes...i still recommend sunpack 533 to 622 great handle mount flashes...powerful as heck but need a quantum or al jacobs type of battery pack for the best recycle times........or
    Vivatar 285HV with a quantum or al jacobs battery pack...I just do not like using AA batts..I do carrry them as back ups just in case......
    HT H some............................