Options

Problems registering Domain Name

steve.maksymyksteve.maksymyk Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited October 29, 2010 in SmugMug Support
Just registered my domain name www.stevemaksymykphotography.com through godaddy.com -> and I'm trying to get this to point to stevemaksymyk.smugmug.com. I've followed the godaddy tutorial, and changed the CNAME alias for www to stevemaksymyk.smugmug.com, waited overnight and my smugmug site still doesn't accept this as the domain in the control panel.

I get this error, which I know is a common one

That hostname doesn't resolve to SmugMug's CNAME (domains.smugmug.com). See our help section on custom hostnames.

Wondering if there are other setting in godaddy that i need to select?

Steve

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2010
    Just registered my domain name www.stevemaksymykphotography.com through godaddy.com -> and I'm trying to get this to point to stevemaksymyk.smugmug.com. I've followed the godaddy tutorial, and changed the CNAME alias for www to stevemaksymyk.smugmug.com, waited overnight and my smugmug site still doesn't accept this as the domain in the control panel.

I get this error, which I know is a common one

That hostname doesn't resolve to SmugMug's CNAME (domains.smugmug.com). See our help section on custom hostnames.

Wondering if there are other setting in godaddy that i need to select?

Steve
    You are not supposed to set the CNAME to stevemaksymyk.smugmug.com. Follow the instructions here: http://www.smugmug.com/help/professional-accounts.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    jfriend wrote: »
    You are not supposed to set the CNAME to stevemaksymyk.smugmug.com. Follow the instructions here: http://www.smugmug.com/help/professional-accounts.

I've literally followed the directions to a t - still getting "That hostname doesn't resolve to SmugMug's CNAME (domains.smugmug.com). See our help section on custom hostnames."

I've also just deleted my CNAME for www in godaddy.com - and it still doesn't work. Any tips?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    I've literally followed the directions to a t - still getting "That hostname doesn't resolve to SmugMug's CNAME (domains.smugmug.com). See our help section on custom hostnames."

I've also just deleted my CNAME for www in godaddy.com - and it still doesn't work. Any tips?
    Yes. Let our world-famous Support Heroes help you! Please write our Support Heroes and we'll sort you out asap.
  • Options
    changed the CNAME alias for www to stevemaksymyk.smugmug.com

:nah it needs to point to domains.smugmug.com thanks.
  • Options
    Andy wrote: »
    :nah it needs to point to domains.smugmug.com thanks.

thanks, that worked, it should work in 24-48 hrs or so the msg says! Thanks!
  • Options
    Dx3PhotographyDx3Photography Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2010
    I'm having the same problem. What is my Alias name supposed to be? www?

Alias name:
    Points to host name:

???

Thanks,
    Jonny
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2010
    I'm having the same problem. What is my Alias name supposed to be? www?

Alias name:
    Points to host name:

???

Thanks,
    Jonny
    CNAME alias www to domains.smugmug.com

Please write our Support Heroes if you want or need any personal help, we have Support Heroes standing by :D