Options

college drama student headshots

VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
edited September 28, 2010 in People
Here is my first attempt...but first here is a bit of the behind the scenes story..

all of my clients have come to me via someone that knows me, or a friend, or one of my family members, so I just HAD to ask this gal how she found me, she goes to school in Tucson which is 90 miles from me. She asked around and was recommended to another photographer.

Well this other gal is a young woman that used to compete with my daughter in pageants, I have known her for 10 years and I recently did a number of jobs for her, some paid and one just for fun, she is a part time model. After my last shoot with her, she suddenly hung out her shingle, I had no idea!

Well, on her website, on her personal page is a photo I took of her, it was a GREAT photo, and in teeny letters she had my name on the bottom of it. The student saw this after looking all through her site, googled me, looked at my work and called ME! I was sooo flattered !!
Anyway, this is my first try for an actor's head shot, she had guidelines from her teacher for us to go by. Sexy look, young innocent look, and on and on.

first here is the photo my student found that led her to me

813373287_up96m-M.jpg

1 This is my favorite, the young innocent look.1024123769_3KMR3-L.jpg

1024123874_mvSTf-L.jpg

1024091810_ApiqK-L.jpg

1024091920_FytyE-L.jpg

1024092000_3NkqJ-L.jpg
Trudy
www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700

Comments

• Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2010
    Well I would say that is quite the flattering story and these portraits are magnificent!
    My favorite is number one as well.....
    Congratulations to you!
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    Thanks Reyv ! You made my day!
    Trudy

NIKON D700
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    Really like #2. Beautiful girl.
  • Options
    kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are awesome ;)!
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    3&4 work the best as submission shots (ie casting calls) IMO. I'd decenter the landscape shot - it's actually an interesting and different look from her, but dead center takes away from that (I'd probably move it way to the right, possibly cutting into her hair and leaving lots of negative space on the left). I'm also not sure about the chopped arm in #5 - I'd probably crop it way in and lose it entirely. I keep going back and forth on 1 - the challenging expression is interesting but, especially centered like that, it seems a bit stiff.

Trudy, you got some gorgeous shots of this lovely girl - I'd love to see you do some more of these so you can loosen up the style just a little bit. It's just ever-so-slightly "posed" in these which makes for lovely portraits, but perhaps takes a little bit of her personality out of the equation. Get those eyes sparkling and moods projecting! thumb.gif
  • Options
    metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    #1 is my fav. She looks like a young Julianne Moore.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    awesome..#4 for me
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    ows4428ows4428 Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    #4 for me as well. Nice work.
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    3&4 work the best as submission shots (ie casting calls) IMO. I'd decenter the landscape shot - it's actually an interesting and different look from her, but dead center takes away from that (I'd probably move it way to the right, possibly cutting into her hair and leaving lots of negative space on the left). I'm also not sure about the chopped arm in #5 - I'd probably crop it way in and lose it entirely. I keep going back and forth on 1 - the challenging expression is interesting but, especially centered like that, it seems a bit stiff.

Trudy, you got some gorgeous shots of this lovely girl - I'd love to see you do some more of these so you can loosen up the style just a little bit. It's just ever-so-slightly "posed" in these which makes for lovely portraits, but perhaps takes a little bit of her personality out of the equation. Get those eyes sparkling and moods projecting! thumb.gif

Thanks Diva, I value your input! I am hoping to get some of their fellow students to give me a try. I am going to recrop those photos and send them to her as alternatives.
    Trudy

NIKON D700
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2010
    UGH! I just wrote a long post and then the computer crashed exactly as I hit "send" and it didn't go through. Boo.

Definitely worth a look through these articles for cropping ideas - she has some very specific thoughts on why things do and don't work. These articles are fantastic reading for anybody doing headshots - they're a touch out of date now so some style things have changed in the last couple of years, but they're still worth a read.

Bad Headshots, Good Headshots (link to examples at bottom of column)
    Bad Headshots, Good Headshots II

To keep in touch with current trends, it's always worth a look through the www.reproductions.com directories and looking at other photographers' work. I usually check out both the NY and the LA directories to keep an eye on how they differ (they do) and just to know what's out there and being used for different purposes/genres/looks etc. Very useful....

WIth this lovely young lady, did you get any "bubbly", smiling ones? These are all very serious and only show one facet of her personality. She's incredibly beautiful, but I'm not sure these shots tell me what she could be cast as - sometimes the photo needs to subtly "suggest". The articles above give a lot of advice in that regard - definitely recommended reading!