Options

Some dry ideas

Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
edited August 14, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Went to a local dry river bed today to see if I could come up with something for this challenge. Took a bunch of shots but only came away with three that I liked.

1st:

3446%3B%3A9923232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E2338%3D6%3A%3B%3D377%3DXROQDF%3E23239%3C4%3C6%3A288ot1lsi

2nd:

3446%3B%3A9923232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E2338%3D6%3A%3B%3D377%3DXROQDF%3E23239%3C4%3C68%3A98ot1lsi

And my personal favorite. This was the end of a garden hose some one had cut off and thrown away. Kinda caught my eye:

3446%3B%3A9923232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E2338%3D6%3A%3B%3D377%3DXROQDF%3E23239%3C4%3C6%3A289ot1lsi

Please feel free to C&C. I'm trying to get better and I need honest opinions and suggestions for that to happen.

Eric
"My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    edited August 14, 2005
    Wow, 37 views and not one comment. They can't be that badheadscratch.gif

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

• Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2005
    Personally I also like the last one. Sorry, I didn't see your post before. :D

James.
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2005
    I'll comment
    Eric&Susan wrote:
    Wow, 37 views and not one comment. They can't be that badheadscratch.gif

Eric

None of them really catch my eye, and I think it's the bright harsh lighting. The mud (#3) is my favorite of the bunch, but I don't like the garden hose, but you know what, it could be the harsh light. Ah, garden hose centered... that's what I didn't like...

I might have tried some different angles on the mud in that light, otherwise, would recommend a different time of day with better lighting.
  • Options
    webwizardwebwizard Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2005
    I think #3 best exemplifies the theme. You might have a more interesting shot if you had a lower angle and perhaps were looking into the end of the hose.

ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2005
    Dee wrote:
    None of them really catch my eye, and I think it's the bright harsh lighting. The mud (#3) is my favorite of the bunch, but I don't like the garden hose, but you know what, it could be the harsh light. Ah, garden hose centered... that's what I didn't like...

I might have tried some different angles on the mud in that light, otherwise, would recommend a different time of day with better lighting.
    I appreciate your honestythumb.gif

I thought the garden hose helped the shot. Kinda like the hose has run dry so the mud has alsone_nau.gif I've got a few of just the mud but I found them boring. A shot of just dried mud doesn't really do anything for me. Maybe it was my approach and angle to the mudne_nau.gif

Thank you for the honest commentthumb.gif

Eric

• Options
    aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2005
    E&S,

I like the shot with the hose and the dry mud. I agree with one of the previous posts...maybe a different angle on the hose would have more impact. Cool idea!
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2005
    Here is one of just the mud. As I look at it I think a lower angle would have helped, instead of just standing above itne_nau.gif

3447278323232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2338%3D6%3A%3B%3D377%3DXROQDF%3E23239%3C53%3B885%3Bot1lsi

Any thoughts? I will go back and see if I can work the hose in a different angle. Not really sure how but I'll see what I can come up with.

Thanks for all the helpful C&C, keep'em comingthumb.gif

Eric

• Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2005
    I've seen some really cooll shots of mud
    Eric&Susan wrote:
    A shot of just dried mud doesn't really do anything for me. Maybe it was my approach and angle to the mudne_nau.gif Eric

Put on your thinking cap -- think lower angle, perhaps?

I'll admit to doing a search for the word dry on a stock photo site, and I got lots of ideas from that search.

Dried mud was a huge favorite for the term, you've got the idea, just not the angle.

Also think why would someone be disappointed in finding mud, things you do on the river but can't because it's dried up and mud????

You found a great patch of mud there -- BTW....