Options

Wedding 13th Sept Nabil and Mervat - Egypt

Mark1616Mark1616 Registered Users Posts: 319 Major grins
edited September 28, 2010 in Weddings
This is the first time I've been brave enough to post a wedding set on here as I know my standards are not up to the majority of members, but I also know that if I don't stick my neck out I will never get any better.

This wedding was a few weeks ago here in Alexandria Egypt. Things are a bit different from the western world with limitations on public affection so a kiss to the forehead is about as far as you can go.

Please do let me know what you think and what I could do next time out to make some improvements.

1 Next to the Mediterranean Sea
5016954757_0fe997211b_b.jpg

5017562788_0be39e04dc_b.jpg

3 The maximum of public affection allowed without the chance of being arrested.
5017563072_3c847d4572_b.jpg

4 A potential competitor.
5016956255_4ceafaf76b_b.jpg

5 During the service the grooms nephew decided to show him a photo that he had taken.
5016956771_b21cf5f2f6_b.jpg

6 Exchanging of the rings.
5016957473_dfb784ed3d_b.jpg

7 An unusual and unexpected show of affection for an Egyptian.
5017565576_c879b5e39f_b.jpg

5017565988_fd5234cb27_b.jpg

9 One of the few shots where there were not 2 videographers in the way of the stage so I could get a bit better contextual shot.
5016959227_5f2274d0ff_b.jpg

5016959861_979d5d0fd2_b.jpg

5017567786_15e614b02e_b.jpg

12 Time to say goodbye.
5017568522_a8314a328d_b.jpg

13 Lastly their poster which I made to go on the signature table at the wedding and reception.
5017680504_883e75f3a0_b.jpg

I'm here to learn so please feel free to give me constructive criticism to help me become the photographer I desire to be.

Comments

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2010
    not bad! The 1st thing that I noticed was your use of direct flash...shadows everywhere and harsh light. If you are going to sue direct flash at least diffuse it. It is killing hsot #2 which is otherwise very nice.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2010
    Hi Mark wave.gif

It's so interesting to see how couples in other cultures celebrate, thanks for posting!

I'll throw in my 2 cents :D
    1) Nice photo, but the skin tones are a bit off (I know you were shooting during sunset, so it will automatically be a bit off), but her face is also half in the sun / half in the shade ... I'd go either or + some fill flash would probably help thumb.gif
    2) I like this photo. The flash however didn't hit the bottom of her dress. I'd probably brighten that part up a bit in photoshop.
    3) (uhm wow ... "The maximum of public affection allowed without the chance of being arrested") ... Nice silhouette thumb.gif
    4+5) haha, good catch
    6) Looks like you are very tall & you were shooting from a slightly higher point. I'd try to shoot from a bit lower > that will fix the perspective (the walls in the background are a bit cricked)
    7) Good catch, seems like a sweet couple!
    8) Nice detail
    9) Good photo, I'd probably take out the water bottle thumb.gif
    10-12) Good photos. I guess there is nothing wrong with them in general. *I* would go a bit easier on the flash, and go a bit more ambient, but hey, that's just my approach
    13) Interesting poster. I would probably try to go less crazy with the fonts (2 fonts are usually better than 5 mwink.gif ) .... > I think it's a great idea, *I* don't necessarily like it, but I see how the couple would like it thumb.gif

Again, thanks for posting, hope to see more from your work.
  • Options
    edited September 24, 2010
    Qarik wrote: »
    not bad! The 1st thing that I noticed was your use of direct flash...shadows everywhere and harsh light. If you are going to sue direct flash at least diffuse it. It is killing hsot #2 which is otherwise very nice.

I agree, it's all I'm stuck with while here in Egypt as there are basically no places to get anything to modify (and left the stofen in the UK by mistake). I'm still learning flash technique, 3rd time of trying off camera flash but want to find a good way to it when options are available. Assuming I'm only going to be working with the 580s for now, what is the best way to do OCF, what do you modify the light with, what can I get without breaking the bank to make my light nicer?

I'm here to learn so please feel free to give me constructive criticism to help me become the photographer I desire to be.

• Options
    Agnieszka wrote: »
    Hi Mark wave.gif

It's so interesting to see how couples in other cultures celebrate, thanks for posting!

I'll throw in my 2 cents :D
    1) Nice photo, but the skin tones are a bit off (I know you were shooting during sunset, so it will automatically be a bit off), but her face is also half in the sun / half in the shade ... I'd go either or + some fill flash would probably help thumb.gif
    2) I like this photo. The flash however didn't hit the bottom of her dress. I'd probably brighten that part up a bit in photoshop.
    3) (uhm wow ... "The maximum of public affection allowed without the chance of being arrested") ... Nice silhouette thumb.gif
    4+5) haha, good catch
    6) Looks like you are very tall & you were shooting from a slightly higher point. I'd try to shoot from a bit lower > that will fix the perspective (the walls in the background are a bit cricked)
    7) Good catch, seems like a sweet couple!
    8) Nice detail
    9) Good photo, I'd probably take out the water bottle thumb.gif
    10-12) Good photos. I guess there is nothing wrong with them in general. *I* would go a bit easier on the flash, and go a bit more ambient, but hey, that's just my approach
    13) Interesting poster. I would probably try to go less crazy with the fonts (2 fonts are usually better than 5 mwink.gif ) .... > I think it's a great idea, *I* don't necessarily like it, but I see how the couple would like it thumb.gif

Again, thanks for posting, hope to see more from your work.

Thanks Angie for the critique, it really does help :)

Following on with #2 from what I said above, I was also using the zoom on the flash to reduce spill on the ground and mainly light the faces, probably a bit too much or aimed a little high..... am I allowed to blame my assistant (wife) for the angle???? ;)

#3, yep, very reserved here, no holding hands unless engaged, a non married couple wouldn't even kiss and in public even things like stoking the back of the neck or something just isn't done.

#6, I'm 6'6" so probably that comes under the very tall category :) I was in a major bind here as I had one videographer squashed up against the left and one against the right, then behind and all around were guests trying to get a shot. There is no etiquette here regarding shooting, guests will just get up and take a photo, get the B&Gs attention for a posed one etc while the service is on. I sure look forward to UK weddings again, but I'm using the time here to try to get better so I'm not at the bottom end of the ladder in the UK.

10-12, planning to keep working on flash as I know it really isn't my strength.

13, these are expected here, and I'm a new at making them (this is the 2nd), I've only just switched to PS as well so probably went a bit crazy playing with fonts. I will keep the 2 fonts thing in mind next time.

Thanks again for the advice, I really want to get better and it's only by people better than me giving advice that I will do so. Please if anything else comes to mind do let me know.

• Options
    l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    That third shot is KILLER!!! WOW!!!!

And sometimes I wish we had those affection rules over here, it gets a little crazy sometimes, maybe we'd have less pregnant teenagers but that's a conversation for another forum.
  • Options
    That third shot is KILLER!!! WOW!!!!

And sometimes I wish we had those affection rules over here, it gets a little crazy sometimes, maybe we'd have less pregnant teenagers but that's a conversation for another forum.

Thanks, I really love silhouette shots :)

• Options
    quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2010
    I like the bouncing groom. Great stuff.
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.