Options

A quick question for Catholics

Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited September 29, 2010 in Weddings
I just shot a wedding, and at the ceremony the priest had the guests raise their right arms. Kinda like the hitler salute.

Where did that tradition start and what is the idea behind it? Curious about it since it looked pretty weird.
Food & Culture.
www.tednghiem.com

Comments

• Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2010
    Do you have a picture, by any chance? I don't recall any such gesture headscratch.gif
  • Options
    Attached. I mean it might not be in the perfect form, but it looks highly similar. Granted that I don't know the reasons, but, that's why I am asking. I do want to know why.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    I can honestly say I have never seen that before ne_nau.gif I'd love to know too.
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    It comes from the biblical tradition of laying on hands. A type of blessing.
  • Options
    Really? Strange. Would they normally put their hands on the B&G? Since touch is one of the traditional forms of giving blessings.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    tenoverthenose has it right, and it is very common (one arm and two arms) in many of the more fundamental Protestant churches, also. For example, you see the raising of arms at all services in the various Pentacostal (including Church of God, UPC, etc.) churches; it is a gesture of supplication, NOT a salute.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    This is good to know, when I saw it, I was kinda curious to know what that was about. And wanted to pause a moment to try to piece it altogether, from what the priest said to this.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2010
    This is good to know, when I saw it, I was kinda curious to know what that was about. And wanted to pause a moment to try to piece it altogether, from what the priest said to this.

Often both hands are raised.
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2010
    I saw this a couple of times this year. Seems very evangelistic/church of god to me, but whatever. Different churches have their own traditions.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    yendikenoyendikeno Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2010
    Wow,
    guess I've been away for too long, as this is the first time I've seen this as part of a ceremony.
    Regards,
    AZFred
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    tenoverthenose has it right, and it is very common (one arm and two arms) in many of the more fundamental Protestant churches, also. For example, you see the raising of arms at all services in the various Pentacostal (including Church of God, UPC, etc.) churches; it is a gesture of supplication, NOT a salute.
    Yep, not just a catholic thing, I see it at various types of ceremonies.

=Matt=

602269296_WWfvj-O.jpg
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    I really need to go to Church (it's been so long!), but yeah the only (Catholic) gesture I know of is the "Our Father" linking of hands, or its variation of lifting the hands palms up.

814349068_eqsAU-L.jpg

But the Laying of Hands makes so much sense now, though I haven't seen it in mass before and hadn't realized it was also a Catholic thing.
  • Options
    deleskiedeleskie Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    Not that I'm in church every week, but I've never seen this before in a Catholic service.
  • Options
    asp87asp87 Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    This is also a common practice at Catholic baptisms and confirmation ceremonies. Remember that every congregation will do things a little differently. I have noticed great differences simply due to which priest is saying mass.
    Anthony
    Nikon D60, 18-55mm VR f/3.5-5.6, 35mm f/1.8, 70-300mm VRII f/4.5-5.6, Panagor 90mm f/2.8 1:1, SB-600, 68mm Kenko extension tubes
    Flickr
  • Options
    cmonroecmonroe Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    asp87 wrote: »
    This is also a common practice at Catholic baptisms and confirmation ceremonies. Remember that every congregation will do things a little differently. I have noticed great differences simply due to which priest is saying mass.

Agreed. I have belonged to a couple of Catholic parishes, and we have not used this type of gesture. We have used the holding of the hands palms up during prayers.

ASP, my wife is from N. Dartmouth. Small world!

Craig
  • Options
    asp87asp87 Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    Small world indeed. I'm new to this area about a year and a half ago. I grew up in Grafton, went to school at UMass Amherst and now I work (but refuse to live in) Newport, RI.

Just to keep this thread on track: I have also been at various congregations where, for the Our Father, people do nothing, palms up, or hold hands, and raise hands for the end or any combo thereof
    Anthony
    Nikon D60, 18-55mm VR f/3.5-5.6, 35mm f/1.8, 70-300mm VRII f/4.5-5.6, Panagor 90mm f/2.8 1:1, SB-600, 68mm Kenko extension tubes
    Flickr
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2010
    Really? Strange. Would they normally put their hands on the B&G? Since touch is one of the traditional forms of giving blessings.

It dates back to the priestly benediction, from the book of Numbers, and no touch is involved or required.
  • Options
    kittienkittien Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    Its a practice that (as was previously stated) usually happens during ceremonies involving blessings, like baptisms, confirmations, and weddings.

@Moogle - a lot of parishes have the immediate family approach the bride and groom and put their hands on them, and the rest of the congregation just raises their hands to (as also previously said) create a "laying on of hands." - Everyone there offers their blessings to the bride and groom (or baby, or new member of the Church)

The open palms during the Our Father or other prayers are more of a gesture of supplication.
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    Yep, not just a catholic thing, I see it at various types of ceremonies.

=Matt=

That shot is an awesome catch...very thoughtful.