Winners of mini challenge #106...

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited October 14, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
First off let me say I am astounded by all of your work! So many awesome pictures! But like I had said in my original write up, I am first looking for the attitude showing, then composition. So many cute animals pictures that were very outstanding composition wise but just the animal didn't show enough attitude. But I so enjoyed looking at your pics as I am sure others have too.

So I have narrowed down with much consideration. Here is the HONORABLE MENTIONS...(in extremely random order)

Sherstone #1 come on I dare ya!
Although this one is very weak on theme its extremely awesome on just shear tenacity of the photographer getting the shot! Hats off to you Sean..I also really enjoyed your other pictures as they had great lighting and composition.
1021522066_9SMFa-M.jpg

orb9220 #1 Whatcha Look'in at?
Although the quality is grainy on this...I just love the expression on this squirrels face! Kudos on the capture!:thumb
2316368821_e551f24293.jpg

racer #1 and #2... Mom, Mom! Mom I'm Hungry! MOM!, Alright SHUT UP ALREADY! You just ate 5 minutes ago!
Love your sense of humor on these and the titles. Great captures!
966051232_rSThp-M.jpg
973676389_22XRQ-M.jpg

Patti #1 I have never been so humiliated in my life!
Although slightly grainy and the dof is a tad off I really love this picture for just the sweetness and the attitude that makes you want to go 'aaawwweee poor baby!'
777666892_jen77-M.jpg

tropico #2 I love yoga.
I know how hard it is to capture cats. They are usually sleeping or avoiding you when you pull out the camera. The fact that this cat happened to feel comfortable enough for you to be there with a camera in its face and stretch is pretty nice capture! My only nit would have wished that you got the whole cat in the shot.
540657898_jpWbL-M.jpg

KevXman #2 do you mind? I was sleeping!
This is just an awesome photograph. I love everything about it and who knows what the bird was truely thinking...the attitude is definatly saying disgruntled that his sleep was disturbed. Wonderful capture Kevin!
294589428_63Zvg-M.jpg

anonymouscuban #3 I'm cool as ice!
Whats not to love with this face! I bet he carries that attitude around everywhere all the time. Love the bw treatment and the compositional crop and clarity of the image.:thumb
664107034_wi5AJ-M.jpg

Tdcompton #2 Untitled
definately showing attitude its best not to give it a title as I am sure that kind of language would not be tolerated here....LOL! But nicely caught slobber fest going on here and I do hope the animal is not tramatized by the shoot. Great lighting and the focus could have been better but kudos on the effort of an interesting photo.:thumb
1019446941_fqXDD-M.jpg

THIRD PLACE...
ghinson #2 who are you calling Squab?
Although this feels like deja Vu in more than one way, I think this image just screams attitude and its a great composition to boot!:thumb
704083231_oAhmY-L.jpg

SECOND PLACE...
photosthatgive #3 Guilty as Charged
An attitude of guilt or shyness is on this dogs face and the composition of cropping, sepia tone, the moody lighting and dof is great! Bringing into focus the eyes which scream the theme!:thumb:thumb I personally would have cloned out the shiney tag on the dogs collar but no big deal.
894777459_82hyE-M-4.jpg

THE FIRST PLACE WINNER IS...

StueveShots #1 Go Away!
Congrates on your win! This image speaks volumes with attitude and your composition is great! I know there is some background noise but that sometimes cannot be helped when shooting wild life in natural settings (or even captured wild life) as I know flash is not used most of the time in these settings (can scare the animals). So do overs are not always possible and you caught this owl in a moment of time that expresses the attitude I was looking for! So now its your turn to come up with the next challenge. You can find the rules and instructions at http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=168929
1018333045_qZ8Dx-L.jpg

As I said earlier there were so many wonderful shots and I wish I could have list all the ones that blew me away. But then all you have to do is look at the thread and be blown away yourself! Awesome work everyone!!!

Comments

• KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2010
    Thanks for the honorable mention JAG! This shot was pure luck. I was at the zoo with a brand new zoom lens just seeing what it could do. I was shooting through a mesh fence with horrible lighting conditions and jostling crowds. Who knew?! Thank for the great theme!
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2010
    thumb.gif to the picked group and great job of judging kag and a pat on the back for Sean .
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2010
    Congrats, everyone!! clap.gifclapclap.gifclap
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2010
    Congrat's to the winners.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2010
    Wow! Thanks, JAG!

I am really surprised and grateful. I just ran through all the animal pictures with my family and they said "These pictures are awesome!" in the kind of tone that also suggested "How did you win?" And I have to agree...you all did great!

That owl did have an attitude. It was taken at an outdoor museum named Skansen in Stockholm and try as I might, I could not get a picture of him with his face straight on...until the end, when he gave me that look. I think if owls could talk, my ears would be blistering. rolleyes1.gif(You're right, JAG...no flash and a zoom lens. Lots of noise, but I was pleased the eyes came out so sharp.)

Okay...now I have to think. I've never done this before. I'll take a look at the list of past topics and see if I can come up with something fun. I'll post it tomorrow.
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2010
    Congrats, StueveShots! Great shot!

This was a fun round. Thanks, JAG!
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2010
    Congratulations everyone - great, funny entries :D

Especially congratulations to the winners and StueveShots - fantastic! clap.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2010
    Congrats to all!

Thanks also for the honourable mention. My poor Guinness (Never Been So Humiliated) is terminally ill with pancreatic cancer so this is extra special to me.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2010
    Wow! Thanks, JAG!

I am really surprised and grateful. I just ran through all the animal pictures with my family and they said "These pictures are awesome!" in the kind of tone that also suggested "How did you win?" And I have to agree...you all did great!

That owl did have an attitude. It was taken at an outdoor museum named Skansen in Stockholm and try as I might, I could not get a picture of him with his face straight on...until the end, when he gave me that look. I think if owls could talk, my ears would be blistering. rolleyes1.gif(You're right, JAG...no flash and a zoom lens. Lots of noise, but I was pleased the eyes came out so sharp.)

Okay...now I have to think. I've never done this before. I'll take a look at the list of past topics and see if I can come up with something fun. I'll post it tomorrow.

Did you think one up?
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
    edited October 3, 2010
    Yup!! So sorry about the delay. It has been a tough weekend! But you'll see the contest up in the forum now. I hope you all have fun with it!
    edited October 4, 2010
    Patti wrote: »
    Congrats to all!

Thanks also for the honourable mention. My poor Guinness (Never Been So Humiliated) is terminally ill with pancreatic cancer so this is extra special to me.

Patti, I am sorry to hear about Guinness. We lost our beautiful golden retriever a couple of years ago to cancer, so my heart goes out to you... Guinness looks like a dog a person couldn't fail to love.
  • TdcomptonTdcompton Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2010
    Thank you for the honorable mention.
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2010
    Patti, I am sorry to hear about Guinness. We lost our beautiful golden retriever a couple of years ago to cancer, so my heart goes out to you... Guinness looks like a dog a person couldn't fail to love.

Thanks Heather and for your PM. I appreciate your kind words.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • photosthatgivephotosthatgive Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited October 14, 2010
    Hey all, sorry I'm just seeing this! Thanks for the 2nd place spot - very surprised! I took this photo a while back, when I was just starting to learn how to use a dSLR, and was shooting indoors, with poor lighting, handheld. But I agree, the expression on Ginger's face speaks wonders. I wonder if I should tell my ex-girlfriend that her dog helped me place 2nd in a photo challenge :)
    -Josh

Photographer/Founder - Photos That Give

www.photosthatgive.com

Facebook
    Twitter
    Blog
    Website