Options

Stick 30 Koreans in a room...

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited October 8, 2010 in People
A couple of weekends ago my mother's family had a big family reunion. She's one of seven and the last time all of them had been in the same place at the same time was decades ago. It was a pretty moving event. I am not much of a people shooter but you can't just sit back and let it happen without a few shots!

I'm about as American as you can get and this is only the second time I have ever worn the traditional dress. Not practical, but they are really beautiful, particularly seeing the exquisite detailing on some of them. The amount of care the women take in unpacking and ironing them before getting dressed is incredible.

1032156449_u5M8c-XL.jpg

1032164450_ZNZY9-XL.jpg

1030804156_qLwa2-XL-1.jpg1032167539_2ieUs-XL-1.jpg

1030808102_ZwcNJ-XL-1.jpg

1032174608_RPc5a-XL.jpg

1032178096_GHKzD-XL-1.jpg1030797518_5uWRN-XL-2.jpg

1030778256_ZF2oW-XL-3.jpg1030778425_bxveS-XL.jpg

1030785430_eVReb-XL-1.jpg

Anyway, this was the first time I've really shot extensively with my new 16-35 II. It's a great lens, although it's always tempting to be at the wide end and stepping close, resulting in some nasty distortion around the edges.

And maybe next year I'll remember to bring my flash.

Thanks for looking!

Comments

• Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2010
    Great post Schmoo. It is always fascinating to get a glimpse into culture.clap.gifD:D
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2010
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Great post Schmoo. It is always fascinating to get a glimpse into culture.clap.gifD:D

Thanks, Dan! It's a shock to me too in lots of ways. To find out I have not only relatives, but lots of them at 30 has been a serious crash course in identity. lol3.gif

My grandmother was turning 90 (Korean 91) and it was also choosuk, or the Korean Thanksgiving. We were all supposed to get dressed up and do the bow-to-your-elders-and-worship-your-ancestors but we actually never made it that far.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2010
    This is so cool Steph. We have very close Korean friends and I love their wonderful traditions. Actually, we are going over this weekend for their two girls' birthdays. They call me "uncle salad". The oldest, Katie, couldn't say my name Alex correctly... she would say "Salad". It stuck and they've called me it ever since.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2010
    clap.gifclap.gif beautiful
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2010
    This is so cool Steph. We have very close Korean friends and I love their wonderful traditions. Actually, we are going over this weekend for their two girls' birthdays. They call me "uncle salad". The oldest, Katie, couldn't say my name Alex correctly... she would say "Salad". It stuck and they've called me it ever since.

Haha that is a great story, and so cute!
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    clap.gifclap.gif beautiful

Thanks, I ended up not running out of CF cards, too!
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2010
    Nice post Schmoo...............

Sam
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    Nice post Schmoo...............

Sam

Thanks Sam. We missed ya on Saturday!
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2010
    Oh, I love this glimpse into your family and culture. Beautiful captures! I especially love the one of the gentleman kissing the woman's cheek. Her expression is a little bit impish and so sweet!
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2010
    very cool!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2010
    Llywellyn wrote: »
    Oh, I love this glimpse into your family and culture. Beautiful captures! I especially love the one of the gentleman kissing the woman's cheek. Her expression is a little bit impish and so sweet!

Thanks, Kerry! That's my mom and one of my uncles, her youngest brother. They are both so silly lol3.gif
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2010
    I really enjoyed this. So far out of your "usual" genre. iloveyou.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2010
    Thank you so much letting us sneak a small peak into your wonderful family. It's amazing to see the love and gentle beauty in moments like this.
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2010
    Very nice photos! But 'ya know ... one photo is missing :D Any pics of you in the pretty dress? deal.gifclap
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2010
    That was really something !!Thank you for sharing that with us, I loved it, LOVED the clothing!! And the descriptions. You are lucky to have such a wonderful family and you can tell how much you loved the entire reunion!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 4, 2010
    Great stuff, Schmoo. It's awesome to preserve such a beautiful culture.
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2010
    Agnieszka wrote: »
    Very nice photos! But 'ya know ... one photo is missing :D Any pics of you in the pretty dress? deal.gifclap

Heh there is one pic of me up already there but here's one my husband took of me in my hanbok:

1030798656_ANuhu-L-1.jpg

(I look like I'm about 5 years old)

My aunt was tactful in saying she "Wasn't sure about the colors." Apparently I have no skill in choosing traditional color combinations! lol3.gif
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2010
    Ohhh, I guess I didn't recognize you because of the hair. This is SUCH an adorable photo, haha! Love it!! iloveyou.gif And I actually really like the colors you chose. iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2010
    I thoroughly enjoyed this set!
  • Options
    Jazmyn76Jazmyn76 Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2010
    Chiming in agreement- I really enjoyed it as well! I love catching glimpses in to the lives of others, and especially being witness to special tender moments and memories as they're unfolding. Thank you for sharing it with us!
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2010
    schmoo wrote: »
    Heh there is one pic of me up already there but here's one my husband took of me in my hanbok:

1030798656_ANuhu-L-1.jpg

(I look like I'm about 5 years old)

My aunt was tactful in saying she "Wasn't sure about the colors." Apparently I have no skill in choosing traditional color combinations! lol3.gif

okay this is throwing me for loop haha..you are about as modern as girl can get,..seeing you in hanbok..I can't even recognize you! You look very nice btw!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2010
    Qarik wrote: »
    okay this is throwing me for loop haha..you are about as modern as girl can get,..seeing you in hanbok..I can't even recognize you! You look very nice btw!

Note the expression there? Heheh actually it's not too bad. The nicest part is being able to eat a really salty meal without being uncomfortable. lol3.gif

But yeah I wouldn't exactly pull the hanbok out of the closet on a Wednesday night!
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2010
    I am not much of a people shooter ...
    You keep saying this, yet you keep proving yourself wrong...

Okay, so, your photos: yummm! iloveyou.gif

These are so nice individually but they are also really nice as a series; Technically (nice consistent wb & processing) but also since you got a lot of different shots from that day with your family.

I like your new watermark, btw thumb.gif
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2010
    Wow, I have to say ...the beauty and diversity of cultures are incredible and kudos to you for not letting an event like this go undocumented.....
    Simply beautiful captures!
    You are a fantastic people shooter btw......
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2010
    My korean half says these are great pictures :)

I love the hanboks!!

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2010
    Thanks guys! Hey Wally is that your left or your right half? lol3.gif

One thing I am learning is that no matter what happens at your event, it's important to process shots where people are smiling. thumb.gif
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2010
    Thanks guys! Hey Wally is that your left or your right half? lol3.gif

One thing I am learning is that no matter what happens at your event, it's important to process shots where people are smiling. thumb.gif

Well it's not the black half lol.

Definitely keep shooting the smiles though. YOu're pretty darn good at it. :D

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2010
    Add my voice to the chorus - WONDERFUL! The shots are fantastic just as shots, but far more important is the wonderful story they tell. Fabulous work and it looks like it was an amazing family event!
  • Options
    kris10jokris10jo Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2010
    I think you're definitely a people shooter! What a great set of photos. Hope you all enjoyed a wonderful choosuk!
    Kristen