Options

Sometimes I don't understand what sells and what doesn't.

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited October 7, 2010 in Sports
Got an order for prints from my youth soccer job the other day. It was the coach of the team. She bought three 4x6s of her daughter.

She ordered:

1017587726_peshb-L.jpg

1017562014_2Q7W6-L.jpg

and one of the team group shot.
<hr>
She did NOT order:

1017616204_DGSAy-L.jpg

1017585131_Syxi7-L.jpg

1017586050_Ax2tq-L.jpg

1017592097_cqkRb-L.jpg

1017544028_wGQgZ-L.jpg

1017590828_FCX9n-L.jpg

I like those shots better but what do I know? :dunno
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 7, 2010
    These are all great shots. With the exception of the last one, it's clear she picked the most dynamic poses showing interaction with the other players. Most of your picks show her either completely or relatively isolated; she may as well be practicing ballet. :giggle That first shot for example shows her in a full-on sprint for the ball and winning out over the opposing player. Certainly a proud moment. That last one looks like her kick might could be blocked by the opposing girl, so maybe that was factor. I do like the shot myself.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2010
    You can't come close to picking photos for other people.
    Your favorites will seldom be theirs...it is what it is.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2010
    kdog wrote: »
    These are all great shots. With the exception of the last one, it's clear she picked the most dynamic poses showing interaction with the other players. Most of your picks show her either completely or relatively isolated; she may as well be practicing ballet. :giggle That first shot for example shows her in a full-on sprint for the ball and winning out over the opposing player. Certainly a proud moment. That last one looks like her kick might could be blocked by the opposing girl, so maybe that was factor. I do like the shot myself.

Dynamic poses and interacting with other players - bingo. Its a team sport played against another team. Solo shots just aren't that powerful. I, too, also like the shots the buyer picked out. I know in my track photography I try more and more to get multiple cars in the same frame, rather that just single cars. You're telling a story here, and other players and spectators are part of that story. Solo shots don't tell so much a story.

Also, you never know, but those other people in that shot might be friends, or might be key players on the opposing team, and that will add to the story in ways that you might not be aware of.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback. I guess I like "sportraits" as well as conflict-based action shots. I just think the one against the wild flowers is beautiful, and if it were my daughter I'd get a poster.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2010
    yeah, corner kicks and throw ins aren't popular sellers in my experience - with the exception of one parent who WANTED me to take throw-in pics as he was so up on how far his daughter could throw. Whatever makes you happy. Also, body position plays a part - so while the last photo you posted does have the competitor it's not a particularly flattering body position for the daughter. So, like the others, I agree with the coach.
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2010
    interesting. I had one kid's parents go ape over his corner kick shots. They placed a $130 order. But I can see why they could be considered boring. Live and learn! Thanks.
    -Jack