Options

My Chinese National Week

InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
edited October 13, 2010 in Journeys
TWO or three times a year, the Chinese go on a "golden week" when just about everybody goes on holiday. It is a pretty crazy thing. In recent times, the government has tried to break up the week long holidays into smaller blocks of time. The government figures that a the old way of having an entire week off isn't such a great thing. The whole country shuts down to some extent, the travel system is brought to its knees while the lodging goes unused much of the rest of the year.

Many people on the other hand would like to have the longer period of time off. 3 day holidays don't allow much travel time. What people don't enjoy about the golden weeks is the "make up" period. There are no free days off in China. So usually people have to work on the weekends before and after the golden week. It is pretty weird.
I was able to take a week off from my job thanks to October 1st National Day, and I visited Guilin, and Hezhou. We brought along a tremendous amount of photographic equipment, some of it which we used and some of it that we didn't. Of course, the main work horses were D300 and D700. My wife brought along her D60, and we also had a D70 converted over to IR. I think in retrospect, we would have done better to bring along the D70s and leave the D60 behind. The more I use the darn thing, the more I come to hate it, mainly as it is incredibly slow, the camera will not shoot unless it is in focus, or switched to MF, and because it has no built in focusing motor, it doesn't work with my faster lenses, such as the 35f2 or the 50 f1.4. This is too bad. Between all 4 cameras I wound up with a whopping 3,000 photos to sort through.
I'll start off the national week with a few photos from the day before we left.
<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_977 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>700_5796.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>Two Chinese boys fight over a bag</DD></DL>We first headed to the photo district to pick up some film. I figured I'd be picking up my Nikon N80 which was left in Hezhou earlier this year, and I wanted to experiment with black and white film. So I bought every type I could find, pretty much Kodak and Ilford's entire lineup. I intend to develop all of it myself, so it will take some time to get it right.

On a side note, but related, I tried a program by the company "Alienskin" and it is called Exposure 3. The program claims to make your digital photos look just like they were taken with film. Specific films in fact. You could supposedly make your photo look like it was shot with dozens of different types of color or black and white film, ranging from Kodak Tri-X to Kodachrome. The thing I felt was that I have my own look for BW photos that I can get using Lightroom, so the BW film types didn't interest me. The color film types didn't seem bold enough, and those that did appeared to just be an improperly set whitebalance. Now, I've shot some film that looked just like that, but overall I felt the program wasn't worth $50, let alone the $250 they wanted for it. But since then, I wanted to have a look at film to examine the different types. I can't find that much color stuff here for some reason, but BW is easier to find. I ended up buying about 10 or 15 rolls.

700_5879.jpg
While I went inside the store, my wife got to play with my brand new Nikon 14-24 AF-S. When I got back, there was a huge smear on the lens!:huh

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_976 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>320_2677.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>Pedestrian traffic crossing over a bridge in Guangzhou, China.</DD></DL>

Anyway, after the photo market, with went to the dresss street to have a look and see what sort of dresses we could find. We found one or two that Susan liked. The idea was that she would have her photo taken during National Week wearing them. In the meantime, we had to take a photo or two as we were sorting out the camera gear.

<DL style="WIDTH: 343px" id=attachment_979 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>700_5961.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>My Wife</DD></DL>

I showed up for work around 5 and learned that another teacher was sick so I'd have to cover her class instead of reading about developing my new film.:wink Too bad but I survived. Got home and packed my camera stuff carefully, checking off each lens and lovingly packing the bodies as they went into my Lowepro Stealth Reporter 650. Side note, this bag is enormous, holding some 4 speedlights, 4 bodies, and 5 or 6 lenses. But at that size, it is anything but stealthy. It is also well outside the realm of a walk around bag.

Once I took a 2 day trip to Hong Kong where I brought camera stuff but nothing else. On this trip, I just threw some clothing into the suitcase, including what I'd later discover to be a pair of pants with a huge hole int the crotch. I meant to throw the pair away, my wife thought they should be repaired. Neither of us quite followed through, so hence, I still have this pair of pants, including the hole. Not very organized, but hey, I don't mind wrinkles.

Comments etc about the photos would be greatly appreciated!:bow<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_978 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt> </DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd> </DD></DL>
Stay tuned, its taking me a little bit of time to edit and post the photos!

Comments

• Options
    edited October 7, 2010
    GUILIN is one of China's most famous cities, at least in China. It is very old, and has an abundance of natural and man made beauty. Fortunately not everything was destroyed during the Cultural Revolution. The natural beauty is made up by the lakes and rivers, as well as the mountains which are "karst" formations. We spent just a bit of time in Guilin, so I didn't see too much of the caves and hills around town.

<DL style="WIDTH: 342px" id=attachment_985 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>320_2695-1.jpg<DD class=wp-caption-dd>This guy was some sort of crossing guard who glared at everyone.</DD></DL>

We left Guangzhou and flew to Guilin, which ends up being just 1 hour away. We missed out hotel pickup on account of arguing with the airlines after they lost part of our stroller but we took a cab and arrived at a comfortable hotel with a view of the river. Since we had failed to pack enough diapers, our first order of business was to buy some. My wife used to live in Guilin so we walked down to the baby store section. In Chinese cities, it is common to find all of the stores of a certain type on the same street. In Guangzhou there is an entire street full of camera shops. It is a wonderful street!

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_989 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>700_6058-2.jpg<DD class=wp-caption-dd>Me in an ocean of motorbikes</DD></DL>

After we picked up diapers and other things we should have brought (but let me tell you, I brought along enough memory cards and batteries to last a whole week!) we continued along and I got my first view of the famous pagodas. If you ever get to Guilin, the walk around the lake is really nice with much to see. In fact, I must mention, that perhaps my photos are not 100% supportive of my text here, but I took thousands of photos, so I'm only posting the ones that I like a lot or that. Otherwise there would just be too many of them. Hence, I don't have any super wide angle views of the lake, but just a small piece of it.

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_986 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>320_2704-3.jpg<DD class=wp-caption-dd>The Two Towers</DD></DL>

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_990 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>700_6078-5.jpg<DD class=wp-caption-dd>The WifeClimbing the stairs</DD></DL>

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_987 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>320_2771-7.jpg<DD class=wp-caption-dd>A butterfly</DD></DL>

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_992 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>700_6188-Edit-8.jpg<DD class=wp-caption-dd>The hotel offers a Lady of the Night</DD></DL>

We joined up with some family for dinner. I've never met them, and may never see them again. However, they were genuinely nice people, and less annoying than some Chinese family that Imet. I like them all of course, but some are very bossy and opinionated, and I start to feel a bit like eunich when I'm around some of them. I like to feel like a man! Dinner was also really good.

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_994 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>700_6403-10.jpg<DD class=wp-caption-dd>The Uncle</DD></DL>

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_993 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>700_6329-9.jpg<DD class=wp-caption-dd>Looking a bit confused.</DD></DL>

After dinner, we walked around the lake some more. The pagodas were lit up really nicely at night. The only downside is that one must compete for the popular spots. We also were treated to a concert by an excellent musician. I was trying to get a different look with the lighting, but avast! my flashes were not firing properly. At the distance I was at, I could get one or the other, but not both to go off. One thing I like about the Chinese is that they seem to be into photography a bit more than Americans. You see a lot of SLR's in the hands of Chinese tourists but westerners almost all have point and shoots. I've even seen a Leica M9 now and again. The other thing is that they all assume that I'm working for Nat Geo so I can get away with doing a lot of crazy things that few shooters in the west could do without permits and the like.

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_995 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>700_6525-11.jpg<DD class=wp-caption-dd>The Musician</DD></DL>

More to come. . . .

<DL style="WIDTH: 343px" id=attachment_997 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>700_6620-14.jpg<DD class=wp-caption-dd>Wife and Child in front of the pagodas at night, Guilin, China.</DD></DL>
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2010
    what a great narration and lovely shots here! Asia is such a fun place to travel and shoot thumb.gifthumb
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2010
    what a great narration and lovely shots here! Asia is such a fun place to travel and shoot thumb.gifthumb

Thanks! Off to bed now, but will try to post some more stuff tomorrow.thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2010
    THIS morning my wife was still a bit tired so I kidnapped our daughter and went out for a walk around the lake. I took quite a few photos. Chinese tourists also took quite a few photos. . . of my daughter! She is a crowd stopper. I’m not sure what the big deal is but it is so prevalent one family member nick named her “Famous Landmark”.

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_1014 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>1320_2871.jpg<DD class=wp-caption-dd>Which way to go?</DD></DL>

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_1015 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>2700_6673.jpg<DD class=wp-caption-dd>A field of Red</DD></DL>

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_1016 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>3700_6682.jpg<DD class=wp-caption-dd>Shooting the Famous Landmark.</DD></DL>

Afterwards, we met up with one of Susan’s friends and then went for a walk to go meet someone. Luckily we weren’t in too much of a hurry since I ended up stopping constantly to take photos. At one point, we came across some sales guy offering a free cell phone or something. Every few minutes he’d lean forward as if to offer the prize and everyone would crush forward and their hands would shoot up! Then he’d back away, always dangling the prize just out of reach. The crowd would gradually put their hands down until the next time he held up the coveted object.

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_1018 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>6700_6837.jpg<DD class=wp-caption-dd>Some sort of salesman</DD></DL>

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_1017 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>5700_6768.jpg<DD class=wp-caption-dd>Some famous, long dead poet</DD></DL>

At another point, we came across a pot mender. I was quite amazed to see this guy. Nobody fixes pots in the USA. The guy was on a bike and went past different restaurants to see if they had any old pots. When he found one, he cut out the bottom and then put a new bottom on. Unfortunately, he seemed to grow tired of the foreigner watching him, so I left a bit early. I thought the process was really cool and it reminded me of days long past in the rest of the world.

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_1019 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>7700_6859.jpg<DD class=wp-caption-dd>A pot mender</DD></DL>

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_1020 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>9700_6956.jpg<DD class=wp-caption-dd>On the train</DD></DL>

We said goodbye to the friend and then went to the train station to take the train to Liuzhou. I really can’t say too much about Liuzhou as we went there to visit some friends. It seems like many other small cities. Huge changes and construction. The entire central “square” must have just been finished and there was still much construction going on. I can’t remember the exact statistic, but I read once that a huge majority of all tall building cranes are in China. Perhaps near 75%? You can see these everywhere in China it seems. There are two in the photo below.

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_1021 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>10700_7049.jpg<DD class=wp-caption-dd>View of Liuzhou city.</DD></DL>

More to come
  • Options
    huseyinhuseyin Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2010
    Incredible pictures. Great work. You made the daily life look like dream.
    My smugmug still under construction & organization with 17,000 images and counting... meanwhile check my Flickr
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2010
    huseyin wrote: »
    Incredible pictures. Great work. You made the daily life look like dream.

Thanks! I appreciate it.
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2010
    MORNING came to Liuzhou and we set out to look around while we waited for our bus. During these big holiday weeks, transportation can be hard to find so we got the only tickets left. Normally the front row of seats on buses (interestingly enough, the only seats with restraints) is not sold. On the right side, this is because there is usually a bed for the co-driver. On the left, I guess the driver doesn’t want people to see that none of his gauges work, except for the speedometer, which is pegged at 80 on a blind corner, passing a truck, at night, with oncoming death rounding the corner and coming right as us.

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_1033 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>8320_2983.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>Note the tattooed eyebrows. A true gangsta. So I whipped out my 700 and put some photons on the sensor!</DD></DL>

We started with some noodles for breakfast. This is actually a very common breakfast in China. Noodles form the base with some soup, and then extras such as pickled beans, some meat, peanuts, or tofu bits added as well. It is usually very cheap, costing around 50 cents at times.

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_1026 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>1700_7078.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>Noodle street</DD></DL>

Then we went to the park. My of the traditional stuff happens in parks so if you ever do visit China, try to spend at least part of a day in the park. There you can see people dancing, singing and doing all sorts of traditional kung fu and tai chi. You can see the slappers, clappers, shakers, backward’s walkers, squatters, swingers and other exercisers as well.

<DL style="WIDTH: 342px" id=attachment_1028 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>3320_2960.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>This guy was involved in some sort of exercise. A "swinger".</DD></DL>

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_1027 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>2320_2953.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>Cards in the park.</DD></DL>

We rented a boat to drift about in the lake with. While pedal and electric boats were available, we picked a row boat, partly as it was cheaper, and of course, more head room. The downside is that it came with no oarlocks. The lake was quite pretty and since we didn’t have a roof we could go under the lower bridges and really explore the place.

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_1029 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>4700_7095.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>Another view of the lake (taken by my wife.)</DD></DL>

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_1032 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>7700_7151.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>Your friendly gondolier (taken by my wife)</DD></DL>

Another thing I did at that was check out a “haunted house.” I usually go inside but they are almost uniformly disappointing. Blasting screams, a few animatronics shaking and ratting their cages and maybe the floor rattles as well. This one was the best I’ve ever been in. Parts of the house were completely dark so I had to grope and feel my way along in the darkness. Then stuff would come flying out at me from all directions. The icing on the cake was towards the end when something came down from the ceiling and grabbed my neck. Very well done, better than some big chain brand haunted houses.

<DL style="WIDTH: 343px" id=attachment_1030 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>5700_7117.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>One of the creepy denizens of the dark</DD></DL>

We headed to the bus stationfor the 4 hour bus ride and then travelled to Hezhou where we met up with the inlaws.

<DL style="WIDTH: 343px" id=attachment_1034 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>9700_7186.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>"Everone is invited." You keep wearing that shirt. I do not think it means what you think it means.</DD></DL>

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_1035 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>10700_7195.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>Mi Familia</DD></DL>

More to come. . .
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2010
    HEZHOU is a town similar to Liuzhou. Nothing terribly special, about 2 million people, and a healthy population of tall building cranes. My in laws live in a small country “village” just outside the main city. A few minutes’ walk and you are deep inside farm fields.

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_1047 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>8700_7359.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>Hezhou fields</DD></DL>

Since my wife was still tired from our late night arrival, I set off on my own for a bit of a walk. I did have a slight feeling of reservation as I would be alone in a Communist country. Would the natives take kindly to me wandering around unsupervised?

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_1043 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>4700_7303.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>A small shrine in the country</DD></DL>

Early on I stopped to take some pictures of a corn field when two guys burst out of a house across the street and started yelling at me to come in and have lunch with them! Their invitation was counterbalanced by a snarling dog that also came out from their house. While the men appeared quite friendly, the dog was a courage sucker and I decided to continue on my way. The dog followed. Unnerved, I deployed my tripod and continued along. The dog followed me for a couple of minutes.

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_1045 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>6320_3003.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>American! American!</DD></DL>

Further along I ran into some children. I figure they had never seen a foreigner up close in their entire lives. They started asking me all these questions. I could answer a few, such as where I was from. The others I couldn’t understand. We parted, and then after a minute I heard “American! American! Wait!” The kids ran around the bend and indicated they wanted their photo taken. I did and they continued to follow me. I could see some sort of building across the fields and wanted to go there. The kids parted again, but then I could hear more “American! American!” I could see them jumping up and down across the field. I took their picture again and finally they left. Chinese children who have never seen a foreigner can often be very annoying when they follow you everywhere and you can hear them pointing you out to everyone. “White ghost,” they say, “Look, there is a white ghost.” These weren’t too bad.

<DL style="WIDTH: 343px" id=attachment_1044 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>5700_7325.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>Take our picture!</DD></DL>

The building I saw was some sort of family urn depository. I took a few shots of the outside but then headed away from the area lest I be spotted by a farmer. Photographing the inside would be a huge offense, so I didn’t go inside.

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_1046 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>7700_7356.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>A family's urn depository</DD></DL>

I headed back to town and then joined my family in the market.

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_1041 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>2700_7234.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>Grandmother teaching the fine art of mushroom selection</DD></DL>

More to come. . . .

<DL style="WIDTH: 343px" id=attachment_1040 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>1700_7214.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>Grandmother and baby</DD></DL>

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_1042 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>3700_7282.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>Grandfather reading</DD></DL>
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2010
    ONE of the things to see near Hezhou is a famous national park but being next to a not so famous town, it doesn’t get the huge publicity that some of the other sites in China get. This isn’t a bad thing I guess. My wife and I decided to travel there and visit this park, since there were waterfalls and pretty forests.

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_1057 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>4700_7505.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>Wife at the park</DD></DL>

We arranged a taxi the previous night, but the driver was not on the day shift, so she called up her brother in law or someone. Confucius say, “Man who drive like hell, bound to get there!” This guy was in a big hurry, drove like crap and did the usual blind corner passing. However, one feels a bit more safe in a bus than in a car. We continually asked the driver to stop passing, and he would refrain from doing so, until he came upon the next vehicle going slower than he wanted to. Despite his crazy driving and jarring “shortcut” through some small village, we did arrive at the park safe and sound.

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_1055 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>1700_7460.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>Driving down the bumpy short cut.</DD></DL>

We set out along the paved forest path until we spotted some small falls. My brand new 14-24 was of course immediately set just inches above the rushing water. I’m not thrilled with what I got, but my tripod isn’t like some of the ones out there. My camera was upside down on the inverted center column. Splashing water was starting to pool up inside the hood. And the water looked deep. So I decided to leave the truly stunning waterfall shots to someone else.

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_1056 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>2700_7489.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>My camera was just inches above the water.</DD></DL>

Later we came to another waterfall. The rocks were extremely slippery, but I managed to get a shot or two of the Mrs.

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_1058 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>5700_7626.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>The rocks were very slippery</DD></DL>

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_1053 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>3DSC_2572.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>Found this tasty snack along the path (Photo taken by wife)</DD></DL>

The parks largest waterfall was further along. One of the things Chinese people like to do is to pose with the foreigner. I’m in countless photos. Tour groups, families and individuals all have approached me. (Side note: sometimes I do approach others first. I once spied a huge group of Canon shooters on a club outing posing for the self timer. I ran up behind the group, made a stupid face and held up a couple of Nikon’s like some bandito wielding AK’s. I ran away before they could check to see how the photo turned out.) Here was some father and son duo and the son wanted to pose with me. It is a bit bizarre but what the heck.

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_1054 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>6DSC_2599.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>Father/son grabbed my photo. (Taken by my wife)</DD></DL>

A shot of me and the wife. Gotta say, the interval timer on the 700 is great!

<DL style="WIDTH: 343px" id=attachment_1059 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>7700_7700.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>Water and people fall</DD></DL>

We met our driver again but apparently some sort of accident occurred after he came up the road. A bus and a car tried to defy the laws of physics. I’m really not sure what the deal was, but the traffic was shut down for at least 40 minutes and the accident vehicles still weren’t moved.

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_1060 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>8700_7754.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>At the site of the accident. </DD></DL>

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_1061 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>9700_7760.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>Our somewhat crazy driver</DD></DL>

We headed back to the in laws house for dinner.

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_1062 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>10700_7804.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>Chinese family dinner</DD></DL>

More to come. ..
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2010
    SOME aunt owned an orange farm and we decided to go over there and pick a few. The whole family piled into two vehicles and we set off. Don’t know much about the Chinese orange farm industry, but the aunt apparently hires a hundred or more workers for picking, so I figure there is probably a migrant farmer population that travels around China. Not much else to be said about the orange farm.

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_1068 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>1700_7900.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>Cool in the sun</DD></DL>

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_1069 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>2320_3068.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>The aunt</DD></DL>

<DL style="WIDTH: 343px" id=attachment_1070 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>3700_7938.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>At the orange farm</DD></DL>

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_1071 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>4700_7992.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>Old house</DD></DL>

We had lunch and then went to a pagoda. It was very nice and was more interesting to me than an orange farm. We checked out the grounds and even went up the narrow, winding staircase to the top. Again, I’ll just let the photos speak for themselves.

<DL style="WIDTH: 343px" id=attachment_1072 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>5700_8023.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>The pagoda</DD></DL>

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_1073 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>6700_8029.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>Outide the pagoda</DD></DL>

<DL style="WIDTH: 343px" id=attachment_1074 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>7700_8068.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>Statue</DD></DL>

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_1075 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>8700_8127.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>Inside the Pagoda</DD></DL>

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_1076 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>9700_8154.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>Bridge and flowers</DD></DL>

<DL style="WIDTH: 343px" id=attachment_1077 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>10700_8161.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>The floating kid</DD></DL>
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2010
    Wonderful wonderful wonderful. China is truly an amazing place. I love the detail you are sharing. THANKS!
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2010
    Wonderful wonderful wonderful. China is truly an amazing place. I love the detail you are sharing. THANKS!

Thanks for commenting!
    Yes, it is an awesome place. I've got just one more post to do, but I'm busy developing the 16 B/W rolls that I shot the last week or so. 2 or three of them might have some photos worth posting so I might add those. Or they might all suck. We'll see.
  • Options
    WanderWander Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited October 12, 2010
    Nice bit of photojournalism here-funny you mentioned Nat Geo-this reminds me of their style.

It is neat to see the "insiders" China, tourists never get to see this, but I can't get over how much they smoke!
    ~Matt

Nikon D70s
    Nikon F4s
    Pentax K1000
    Olympus OM-10
    Gitzo CF tripod/Arca Swiss ball head
    Not nearly enough lenses
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2010
    Wander wrote: »
    Nice bit of photojournalism here-funny you mentioned Nat Geo-this reminds me of their style.

It is neat to see the "insiders" China, tourists never get to see this, but I can't get over how much they smoke!

Thanks! I do enjoy Nat Geo. I enjoy it even more some reference to Tianamen Square gets past the censors here (or maybe they've just given up.)

Ah yes, the smoking. Its intense. I've had WOMEN show up to look at my baby, lean in close and blow some smoke in her face while telling me that my baby will catch a death of cold without socks on. (Anyone ever seen that shot of the smoking pregnant lady who claimed that the sound of jack hammers was hurting her baby? It was a lot like that.) Of course, there is the every popular photo that foreigners love to get, and that's of Chinese people sitting under a no smoking sign and just puffing away!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited October 13, 2010
    Looks like a great trip!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    vintagemxrvintagemxr Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2010
    Very nice photos and travelogue. It looks like you're having an amazing time with your life in China. And how your film turns out should be interesting!

Doug
    "A photograph is usually looked at – seldom looked into." - Ansel Adams
    My B&W Photos
    Motorcycles in B&W
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2010
    LIKE many towns in the coutry, Hezhou has some older areas with houses built in the 40's or older.I wanted to head to one of these areas to take some photos. I didn't really get much worth showing but we approached the area where my wife used to live way back when. Her apartment was built in the 70's and it was at one time built for really important party guys. My wife says that when her family moved in, it was already an "antique." I would have liked to wander around on my own a bit more, but I had to keep up with the family. Wasn't able to really work anything to my liking.
    The interesting thing is that much the area is being torn down. I hope that in the future I can go back, as there was a cool bomb shelter. I plan to bring a flashlight and and some flashes next time.
    However, we ran into some old friends of the family which made for some good shots.

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_1084 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>2700_8290.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>Old and new greet each other</DD></DL>

<DL style="WIDTH: 510px" id=attachment_1083 class="wp-caption aligncenter"><DT class=wp-caption-dt>1320_3122.jpg</DT><DD class=wp-caption-dd>The Chinese work horse</DD></DL>

Overall National Week was a lot of fun.
    THE END
    Total shots Appx 3,200*
    Most used lens Nikon 24-70 2.8, mounted on D700
    Shots used on the blog
    Appx. 65
    *Note: I shot a few rolls of film with my Nikon N80 but these have not yet been developed yet. I'll post anything that is good from these rolls, but it might be a bit before that happens.

Thanks for looking and commenting!
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2010
    ian408 wrote: »
    Looks like a great trip!

Thanks! It was a lot of fun.

vintagemxr wrote: »
    Very nice photos and travelogue. It looks like you're having an amazing time with your life in China. And how your film turns out should be interesting!

Doug

Thank you. I am generally having a great time here! Can't wait to see the film. Unfortunately, I had 16 rolls of film to develop and wasn't thinking. I didn't process them in the order I shot them in, and was just grabbing rolls here and there. I think I didn't develop the trip rolls yet! I've still got 7 more rolls to develop but I'll concentrate on the trip rolls first.