Options

First photo assigment PLEASE Help

rickprickp Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
edited October 9, 2010 in Weddings
I just got a call from my girlfriend's niece and she wants me to shoot her engagement event. From what she told me it's not a party or a big event, it'll just be her and her boyfriend in some nice areas like the beach and a tropical garden.

I would appreciate any suggestions or tips you guys might have. I just got the call 15 minutes ago and I'm already nervous. LOL. I want to do a perfect job for them, so anything no matter how trivial you think it is, please share.

FYI, I'll be shooting with a 5D2 and I have a 24-105mm, 70-200 f2.8 and a 85mm f1.8 prime. I have a tripod and a 5 in 1 reflector with a stand. Along with this I have a few Singh Ray filters that i can benefit from.

Thanks
R.
Canon 5DMk II | 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM | 24-105mm f4.0 IS USM | 85mm f1.8 prime.

Comments

• Options
    WanderWander Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited October 8, 2010
    First off-be flattered, they think enough of your talent to hire you. It sounds like you do not do this full time?

From what you mentioned it sounds like the girl is looking for some engagement photos, these often get used for announcments and displayed at showers.

Start making a list-actually writing it down- about what you will need, what kind of conditions can you encounter, when is the sunrise and sunset so you can get optimal light, pick a rain date in case the desired day is a wash out, plan alternative locations. Find out where you can park at the locations, having your car towed during the shoot would really suck.
    If you have time, scout the locations for angles,what kind of light you will have-where is the sun, that kind of stuff.

I think you are going to want to use the 24-105 and maybe the 85 for a head and sholders shot.

Do you know someone that can help out to hold the reflector and other things?

Good luck and if all else fails-act confident!
    ~Matt

Nikon D70s
    Nikon F4s
    Pentax K1000
    Olympus OM-10
    Gitzo CF tripod/Arca Swiss ball head
    Not nearly enough lenses
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2010
    Matt,
    Thanks for the feedback.
    No I'm not a pro at all, I just enjoy photography. Actually I enjoy just about anything technical.
    What you mentioned is exactly what I started to do.
    I've already writing down things including locations and ideas. Next week I'm doing a bit of scouting to see what options we have as far as locations go. The places include a couple of beach spots, and some great tropical parks. I would also like to do it late in the day so maybe we can benefit from the sunset.

If we shoot on a weekend I'll recruit my girlfriend to help me out. I have a 5 in 1 reflector that I might be able to use. I'm also going to troll the internet and look for ideas.

At the end of the day, I just want to make sure I give them perfect images that they will enjoy forever. I want them to have fun and walk away with a great experience and product.

Let me ask you, is there any specific pieces of gear I can benefit from? I know it's not about the gear but the guy behind it. I would just like to make sure there's not something specific I can use to help out.

Again, thanks for the help.

R.
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2010
    Have some poses in mind, I go blank when I get nervous. The best confidence builder would be to go out and use your girlfriend as a model at the location and time you are to shoot. NOT being nervous will help you do a better job thumb.gif
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2010
    VaycayMom,
    thank you, I appreciate it. It's funny mentioned that because I was thinking of doing the same thing. i might check out some spots today if I have the time if not for sure this week.

R.
  • Options
    MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2010
    This is probably obvious, but I will say it anyway.
    You might also give your friends some guidance on what to wear. Such as:
    Colors which will give you a contrast to the background of your desired location.
    Colors that flatter their skin tones.
    Both of their clothes should compliment each other.
    Solids are probably less distracting.
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2010
    Hey Moma,
    I don't think that'll be an issue. The bride does a bit of modeling and acting, so I think she'll have that covered. She's had roles in Burn Notice, and the Glades to name a couple. She's our own little star!!! Laughing.gifOL
  • Options
    WanderWander Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited October 9, 2010
    I think you are better off working with what you have for this shoot. Getting something new means you have to learn how to use/integrate with your other gear and that would just add stress for me. Use your tripod and make sure everything is level but don't be limited by it. Bracketing your shots will add some insurance to finding the best exposure.

When I notice the people getting stiff or nervous I always try to break the ice, have them relax and recompose, be calm and efficient. It sounds like you know the girl so that will help. Pay attention to wants in the background of the shots even if you are going to blur it. You can cover that when you are scouting. I think your idea of working with the sunset is good as it is a lot easier to get people to show up in the late afternoon than at dawn:snore
    ~Matt

Nikon D70s
    Nikon F4s
    Pentax K1000
    Olympus OM-10
    Gitzo CF tripod/Arca Swiss ball head
    Not nearly enough lenses