Options

Kaua'i

WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins
edited January 7, 2011 in Journeys
This is my first post here although I've been on SmugMug for a year and have been lurking here on DG for while. I've attached a few shots from our recent trip to Kaua'i, our favorite Hawaiian Island. We've been to most of the sites on the island before so this was a less hectic visit, picking and choosing to revisit places we knew and enjoyed and adding a few new out-of-way nooks and crannies.

One of our favorite places on Kaua'i is the Kilauea Lighthouse National Wildlife Refuge, which protects a major shorebird nesting environment. Tropicbirds, Boobies, Shearwaters, Albatross and Frigate birds are usually soaring along the cliffs or returning from the sea with their catch.

Red-tailed Tropicbird

1029127469_jUhLN-XL-1.jpg

Kaua'i is still quite rural and has many tiny, out-of-the-way beaches tucked into coves. This one is accessible either by kayak or by climbing down muddy, down-sloping, rock and tree-root stairs with a frayed rope handrail.

Hideaways Beach (aka; Pali Ke Kua)

1029131592_XZSC6-XL-1.jpg

Another favorite is the National Tropic Botanical Garden. They maintain some former plantation gardens which are open for tours but their main function these days is learning to propagate and restore the relatively few endemic Hawaiian plant species that still exist.

Native Red Hibiscus, NTBG

1029140039_PxyLz-XL-1.jpg

Another favorite pastime is just watching the surf at Maka'huena Point (in winter we can watch the whales just off-shore from this same spot.)

1029142138_mD9ba-XL-1.jpg

Finally when you come from the east coast, you can't help but be awake for the sunrise!

1029136205_nZTfi-XL-1.jpg

Staying awake for the sunset is another matter.

1029131857_pKUrW-XL-1.jpg

Additional photos are here in my SmugMug Album

Werner

Comments

• Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2010
    wow, some great hidden jewels in your smugmug! Nice shots Werner!

And thanks for posting/de-lurking! (its sometimes a bit quiet on here with a lot of lurkers, don't be discouraged thumb.gif)
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2010
    Thanks for the comments and encouragement Chris, and thanks for looking at the album.

Cheers,
    Werner
  • Options
    jackiejayjackiejay Registered Users Posts: 714 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2010
    LOVED 4 and 5 the waves on 4 were awsome
  • Options
    chickendropchickendrop Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    Awesome! Nothing tops Kauai in my opinion. Love the crashing wave shot!
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2011
    Nice shots, was that scary in 4th?
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2011
    Great set! What a gorgeous location. iloveyou.gif
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2011
    Nice shots, was that scary in 4th?

No, there is more rocky shore with small coves in front of and below the viewers. The sideways surf was hitting a point of rock and the strong telephoto effect makes it look like the surf is on top of the viewers.

That spot is a favorite place to sit. The small rocky coves in front are filled with endangered Green Sea Turtles trying to pick seaweed off the bottom as they get pushed around by the surf. Its a tough way to make a living.

Thanks for the comments,
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    The flower and the wave shot with the people on the edge of the cliff, love those shots 3 and 4.
    Looks like you had a great trip.