Options

An Interview with Andy Williams - The Face of SmugMug

JamesMPhotosJamesMPhotos Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited October 11, 2010 in SmugMug Support
Hello Andy Williams,

All of us have found SmugMug to be the most influential tool available for photographers world wide. From the stunning modern design, to the abundance of features, goodies, and services offered, SmugMug has become a staple for all photographers wanting to share their images with the world. A unique feature of SmugMug is the company's mission to always communicate with their customers, and listen to every word that they say. If you have asked a question on SmugMug, or made any comment, you likely have gotten a response from a man named Andy Williams.

Andy Williams is the COO & House Pro of SmugMug, that we have all grown attached to. Even though he has dedicated nearly every waking the business and it's substantial amount of photographers, little is known about who Andy Williams truly is. These questions and answers will finally show us the man behind, the "SmugMug".

How long have you been a photographer?

What made you want to become a photographer?

What camera do you currently use?

Why do you shoot with a Canon camera, and not another brand such as Nikon?

Is there any specific photographer that has inspired you, or significantly changed you in any way? Why?

Out of all the photographs you have taken, does any specific one stand out to you? Why?

What has been your most rewarding moment as a photographer?

Have you ever have to deal with a difficult client? (other than me, the person conducting the interview) Why was he/she difficult? How did you handle it?

How did you encounter SmugMug? Why did you decide to work for them?

What do you most enjoy about working at SmugMug?

How do you handle the stress of being the COO & House Pro?

SmugMug listens to their customers comments, ideas and criticisms. Why do you think that other companies do not implement the same strategy?

If you could give advice to anyone just starting out in photography, what would it be?

Comments

• Options
    zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2010
    Andy is a great dad :)
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2010

How long have you been a photographer?
    Since about age 8! So it's been a loooong time. I've been doing professional work for the past 20 years.
    What made you want to become a photographer?
    I really can't say, but growing up as a kid, my parents always had the camera out and around. Lots of pics being taken all the time. I loves using the camera. As I grew older, I put in a darkroom in the basement and loved working up my own prints. At age 13, I started working at the local camera store, and got a lot of on-the-job training from the man that ran it, he also had the only B&W darkroom in the area, so I spent a lot of time in there :D
    What camera do you currently use?
    Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, iPhone 4.
    Why do you shoot with a Canon camera, and not another brand such as Nikon?
    I had Canon film SLRs before Digital, and so I just gravitated that way. Years ago, Canon was king for clean, low-noise files. Now, that's not so true any more. Canon and Nikon both have awesome systems, and the 'debate' is less meaningful these days. Pick a camera system and enjoy!
    Is there any specific photographer that has inspired you, or significantly changed you in any way? Why?
    Yes. Elliot Erwitt. He's so good, and so funny at the same time. Today, I'm inspired by so many great photographers that I look at each day, from guys like Trey Ratcliff, to Marc Muench and so many others.
    Out of all the photographs you have taken, does any specific one stand out to you? Why?
    I used to say yes to this question, but now, there are too many that I love so much :D I couldn't single just one out.
    What has been your most rewarding moment as a photographer?
    I like to teach - and for me, it's the "aha" moment that a student has in the field, when everything just clicks for them: they make the leap up a level, an I can see it in their eyes, and in their compositions, and in their final work. This is truly my biggest thrill.
    Have you ever have to deal with a difficult client? (other than me, the person conducting the interview) Why was he/she difficult? How did you handle it?
    Clients are never difficult. They are the ones paying our way. To be in this business you must be able to handle people of all types. I never let a client upset me - I just work harder at making them happier.
    How did you encounter SmugMug? Why did you decide to work for them?
    I was one of Smuggy's first pro customers... funny, I was fumbling around trying to customize my site and Baldy reached out to me offering help. We got to know each other very fast, and started talking about all sorts of photography things. Soon, he asked me to start up Dgrin, and recruit moderators and get the forum going. Sure! That was a fun challenge, and almost 7 years later we have a thriving photo community here :D Later, after a job I was doing ended, it became sort of a natural for SmugMug and me to hook up officially, and I started as GM & House Pro.
    What do you most enjoy about working at SmugMug?
    Being immersed in photography 24/7. Helping customers. Having a blast on photo trips. Making giant high-res gigapixel prints in our HQ offices. Having a customer share their brand new baby pics with me. Seeing amazing photography every single day. Working with 66 other people that love the same things.
    How do you handle the stress of being the COO & House Pro?
    Heh. When you love what you do, and do what you love, there's no stress. I've worked in plenty of stressful jobs, trust me. Being at SmugMug has added years to my life. Yeah, we all work hard, no doubt about it. But it's incredibly easy to work so hard when you absolutely love what you are doing.
    SmugMug listens to their customers comments, ideas and criticisms. Why do you think that other companies do not implement the same strategy?
    Many do. But you're right, there are also many that don't. Funny - there was just a posting by a customer on our Facebook page a few days ago - the issue was a day-late Fedex shipment, and an unclear email message from our system. Well, he started his posting by saying "you'll probably delete this" - no way! Today, everything is out in the open. We love the exposure and community out there in all the social outlets, facebook, twitter, youtube, forums of all kinds, blogs, more. We do some of our best 'help' out there on these places :) I think it's important for customers to see, in public, how we handle the good and the bad. And as far as feedback goes, while we love pats on the back, hugs, raves, cheers and so on, when I see a posting that's critical of us, I really dive in and find out why, what we're doing that could be improved, and how.
    If you could give advice to anyone just starting out in photography, what would it be?
    Rules schmules. Get out there and experiment. Shoot a lot. Watch other photographers, study photographs. Go to art museums. Take class or read a book on proper exposure. Learn your gear. Don't get caught up in the gear race, get something decent to start with and go take photographs. Take a class, do a workshop.

Have fun!
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2010
    Lovely interview. Great read! And I can see why Andy likes Elliot Erwitt's work. Really captivating. You might have to look for it for a bit, but there's a punchline in a lot of his shots. Too funny!
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2010
    Thank-You SO Much Andy for letting me interview you! Your answers are great! 10 out of 10 clap.gifbowdown.gifandy15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2010
    I can see why you are inspired by Eliiot Erwitt. All his photographs are unique. (a few of the photos remind me of what Diane Arbus captured).