Class Reunion Opportunity - Lighting questions

CASowersCASowers Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
edited October 13, 2010 in People
My aunt has asked for my services to photograph her 40th class reunion in early November. Indoor shooting of this kind are new to me as my strengths are natural light shoots. I don't own an external flash (50D body). Most of the required shots will be the standard "small posed person/group in front of the school banner" and with a tripod and my 85 f/1.8 and on board flash I think I'll be ok. I know I'll need some post-processing to firm things up, but I think I'll be ok. Where I'm struggling is with the large group photo. Could be anywhere from 30-50 people, indoors at night more than likely under low ceiling flourescent lighting (this is an assumption based on what I've heard about the venue) I have a 17-85mm kit (IS/USM) lens to handle the wide angle, but at 4.0 on the wide end, not sure if that will be fast enough to provide an acceptable final product, especially with lack of any external lighting. A good friend of mine has a 70-200 f/2.8 that I can borrow, but I don't know if that will provide the wide angle that I will need to shoot a large group indoors. The crop sensor will not help and I don't know how far away I can be from the group.
If anyone has experience in this type of situation, any suggestions for how best to pull off the group shot, I'm all ears.
For starters would a rental (or purchase) of a 430 exII be a good start or are there other options I should be looking at?
Appreciate your help.
Chris
Chris Sowers

Comments

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2010
    CASowers wrote: »
    My aunt has asked for my services to photograph her 40th class reunion in early November. Indoor shooting of this kind are new to me as my strengths are natural light shoots. I don't own an external flash (50D body). Most of the required shots will be the standard "small posed person/group in front of the school banner" and with a tripod and my 85 f/1.8 and on board flash I think I'll be ok. I know I'll need some post-processing to firm things up, but I think I'll be ok. Where I'm struggling is with the large group photo. Could be anywhere from 30-50 people, indoors at night more than likely under low ceiling flourescent lighting (this is an assumption based on what I've heard about the venue) I have a 17-85mm kit (IS/USM) lens to handle the wide angle, but at 4.0 on the wide end, not sure if that will be fast enough to provide an acceptable final product, especially with lack of any external lighting. A good friend of mine has a 70-200 f/2.8 that I can borrow, but I don't know if that will provide the wide angle that I will need to shoot a large group indoors. The crop sensor will not help and I don't know how far away I can be from the group.
    If anyone has experience in this type of situation, any suggestions for how best to pull off the group shot, I'm all ears.
    For starters would a rental (or purchase) of a 430 exII be a good start or are there other options I should be looking at?
    Appreciate your help.
    Chris

Good News Chris, You've got some time to prepare. First recommendation is to get to reading!

Seriously! Judging by your open commentary, you're not at all equipped to handle the group thing just yet....but that can change right quick with some seat time and then some practice too~

Just Google Shooting Groups of people.

1. Focus on light and lighting for groups; my guess is you'll need more than one simple off camera flash.

2. And focus on aperture and camera settings for the same. Depth of field can get-ya on group shots. thinking more like f/8 or so, which means, you need lots of lighting power, more like three off camera lights with modifiers.

Good luck~
    tom wise
  • CASowersCASowers Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2010
    Tom - Thanks...sorry for the delay in a reply but to your suggestion, I've been busy reading...much to learn. I'll post a "hopefully" successful final product after the event.
    Chris Sowers
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2010
    Check out local camera shops for rentals. It may make more sense to rent the lighting equipment for a day or two than to buy it all. It will also help you to get the power, quantity and modifiers you need since sometimes budget can limit us.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2010
    I would never go into a situation like that with out at least a hotshoe flash. I think it is essential.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • ropeboyropeboy Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited October 12, 2010
    See if you can rent a 580EXII flash. I took this photo of a class reunion with a single 580EXII on my 5D mkII camera's hot shoe and a Gary Fong collapsible Light Sphere light diffuser. It was hand held and I was standing on a chair. There are about 40 people here.
    http://markhaymond.smugmug.com/Events/Santa-Maria-High-School-Class/13003940_2iDYH#964044915_QrEwi-X2-LB
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2010
    Forget the tripod. It's a major PITA and gets knocked over by the crowd easily.
    Rent a 17-55/2.8 IS USM, a decent external flash (don't forget spare batteries), set camera on A, FEC-1 and shoot at will.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • HinsonHinson Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2010
    Chris; I've shot many a class reunion numbering anywhere from 25-200 people. Some things I've learned:

MOST IMPORTANT:!!! HAVE AN ASSISTANT and know how many folks are expected.
    1. There is always a reunion committee and they MUST be in charge of the group and be able to stop everything for the group shot.
    2. The later the group shot, the drunker the subjects will be (assuming there is alcohol and there usually is) Set a time right after the meal and stick to it.
    3. Two lights (430s or 580s will do, preferably the latter) and I suggest using a tripod.
    4. If possible, go to the venue before reunion day and check out the lighting. Know in advance what exposure settings will be.
    5. Set up lights BEFORE calling everyone for the group shot. Have your camera on the tripod and know your posing area. In other words, look through the view finder and see what is on the far left and what is on the far right. Keep everyone within those boundries. Try not to use the widest range of the lens to minimize distortion. Camera should be as high as possible (at least chest high to those
    standing on chairs) and you shoot from a chair.
    6. Once everyone is told to get in the group shot, TAKE CHARGE, and I mean TAKE CHARGE. Act like a drill instructor.
    7. If you have found out how many folks are expected, pose like so. (lets assume 60 people)
    Back row. Tell 10-12 folks to grab a chair. Place them in the back standing on a chair. You can usually add one or two extra people.
    Next row. stand as many as possible in this row. Have the left half face the right half. (they will turn to face the camera later)
    Next row. same number as back row but kneeling high. (not sitting back on heals.)
    Next row. one less, kneeling low (sitting back on heels)
    Next row. all men, (or women in slacks. Drunk women are not necessarily modest and a a crotch shot will ruin
    the photo.) sitting on floor.
    Make adjustments based on the number of folks you have and make sure you do not have any faces hidden. You will not sell a
    print to someone who is not showing up in the photo. (unfortunately the image ropeboy referenced has a number of hidden faces)
    8. Now go to the camera, get everyone's attention and shoot two or three shots so that you get everyone with their eyes open)
    It goes without saying that you shoot RAW, have a fresh battery in the camera and a clean card or at least make sure you have
    enough room on the card for a dozen more raw shots.

This sounds a bit complicated, but in actuality, it takes about 5 minutes to get everyone posed and get the shot. I usually tell everone (in a very loud and commanding voice) that I know they don't want to stop the fun and if they will all stop talking and follow directions, we'll get this over and they can get back to reminiscing. In most cases it works but there is always the one class member who has already had too much to drink and is a royal pain to deal with. Ignore him/her.

I'll be glad to answer any questions you might have. Either post here or message me.
    Serving Him by Serving Others
    www.Jerrywhitephotography.com
  • CASowersCASowers Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2010
    Thank you all for the input.
    Hinson, thank you for the specifics and the detail. I really do appreciate it greatly.
    I'll be heading to the venue the day prior to the shoot so that I can do some test shots. Hopefully I can do some additional recon before that to simply get a lay of the land.

I have access to one flash (provided by a friend, still not sure what model though...) and a rental for an additional flash really does seem to make the most sense. While we're talking about rental equipment, I live about an hour northwest of Philly. Any recommendations for shops in that area or am I best to stick with an online service?

I still have a few weeks until the event. I'll repost with the final product.
    Chris Sowers