Options

The unofficial photographer

paulmacpaulmac Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited October 14, 2010 in Weddings
G'day folks.

After shooting a friends wedding last year, I've just shot two in the last month. I'm new at this particular game, and by looking around on this forum, I have an awful lot to learn!

http://www.mcvitty.net/Weddings/Simone-and-Steven
For this wedding, I was a guest and the "unofficial photographer". The groom had a mate and his assistant shoot for most of the day, so I was there at the bride's request, taking candids and (by my choice) trying not to contribute to the flock of camera guys already there...

Happily accepting your feedback!

I'm also curious to know which photos stand out for you, as the bride has raved about some of the photos I thought were only so-so.

Cheers,
Paul

Comments

• Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2010
    Hi Paul! I am about to shoot my second little bitty wedding, and I have so much to learn too, this is a super place to do just that. Nice job on the images, all things considered, dueling with other people with cameras was harder than I expected, so kudos to you there. I am not fond of some of the desaturated images or selective coloring, but I found a number that jumped out to me....3 loved her hand on his, 6, 9..well done! 16, 20.
    What did the bride like?
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2010
    paulmac wrote: »
    G'day folks.

I'm also curious to know which photos stand out for you, as the bride has raved about some of the photos I thought were only so-so.

I like the unique perspectives shown. Very interesting - makes every image exciting and artistic.

I am often amazed at the images brides often love. One wedding I photographed many years ago in the film days - I was very disappointed with. However, the bride RAVED about them and referred 2 or 3 of her friends who's weddings I ended up photographing as well. So, you just never know what they will like.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2010
    overall the images are nice. I am not a fan of the processing though and you have some color/skin tone issues in 2 and 4.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2010
    The images are nice, but I don't think they hold together as a set. For my taste there's too much variation in style and processing. That's a correctable matter (should you agree with me) because the shots themselves are good. I can see why the bride is glad you were there!
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    paulmacpaulmac Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited October 14, 2010
    Icebear wrote: »
    The images are nice, but I don't think they hold together as a set. For my taste there's too much variation in style and processing. That's a correctable matter (should you agree with me) because the shots themselves are good. I can see why the bride is glad you were there!
    Thanks for the comments, all.

I've enjoyed discovering the pleasures of Lightroom over the last year, and the ease at which you can manipulate/improve/(ruin!) photos.

Picking "my style" is something I certainly haven't found as yet. Any pointers?

As for the bride's favourite, it was number 16, in the group with her sisters. It obviously holds high emotional value for her, as they are all close friends. I just wish I'd "seen" the photo at the time, and taken the flash off the camera and spot-lit them, rather than bouncing and vignetting later... oh well!
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2010
    Paul,

As a begginer, I don't know if going for a certain "style", is the best thing to do. Concentrate on getting the best SOOC images and for post processing, just get the images to "pop" a bit while paying careful attention to WB, skin tones, colors, exposure, etc. Get it "correct" and continue that for thousands of images. At some point when you can do "correct" in your sleep, then you have a foundation for developing a "style".
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com