Options

Help

gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
edited August 16, 2005 in Technique
Hi All
Just got a Canon 10D i am just trying to work out how to use it put a 28-80 canon lens on no problem but when i fit the Sigma 70-210 APO 2.8 that i bought second hand from a shop, i take a picture and get an error 99, where i bought the lens he said he had tried it out on a 10D it is a reputable shop and came with a 12 month guarantee, any ideas
Gary

Comments

• Options
    edited August 15, 2005
    Just tried it again if i set the aperture to 2.8 it works but if i make the aperture smaller i get error 99
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 15, 2005
    its common that older Sigma lenses don't play nice with 10D's. unfortunately, there's no rules, rhyme, or reason, just a what you have is what you get.

ne_nau.gif

For the more expensive lenses (Bigma 50-500 and the 100-300, people have sent them to Sigma for re-chipping, but not always fast or easy). Do you have the 70-200 f/2.8 (never heard of a 70-210)? That is one of the primo lenses from Sigma, surprised it doesn't work. how old is the lens?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited August 15, 2005
    I don't think it is very old i think it is the one before 70-200 2.8

On the lens is says af zoom apo 70-210 1:2.8, going back to the shop tomorrow se what they say
    Regards
    Gary
    DoctorIt wrote:
    its common that older Sigma lenses don't play nice with 10D's. unfortunately, there's no rules, rhyme, or reason, just a what you have is what you get.

ne_nau.gif

For the more expensive lenses (Bigma 50-500 and the 100-300, people have sent them to Sigma for re-chipping, but not always fast or easy). Do you have the 70-200 f/2.8 (never heard of a 70-210)? That is one of the primo lenses from Sigma, surprised it doesn't work. how old is the lens?
  • Options
    burkeburke Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2005
    gsgary wrote:
    Just tried it again if i set the aperture to 2.8 it works but if i make the aperture smaller i get error 99
    Are you setting the aperture by moving the ring on the lens, or are you setting it on the screen? You just want to make sure that ap ring is locked in on the lens, and that you're making all your adjustments using the dials..
    If this is already what you're doing, don't be shy about taking it back into the dealer (with the 10D) and having them explain it to you. If it doesn't work for them, then their 12 mo guarantee should allow you to swap it for something that does!:):
  • Options
    DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2005
    According to the 10D manual, the Error 99 code may have something to do with the battery because it says to remove and reinstall the battery. Is it possible that there just isn't enough "juice" to operate the lens? Make sure that the batteries are fully charge and give it a try. One other thing to check is to make sure the contacts are all clean on the lens.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
    ...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2005
    It is 2.8 through the whole zoom it may need chipping like DoctorIt mentioned. the dealer is called Jessops for one of the biggest dealers in the UK they have won awards for good service so it shouldn't be a problem
    Regards
    Gary
    burke wrote:
    Are you setting the aperture by moving the ring on the lens, or are you setting it on the screen? You just want to make sure that ap ring is locked in on the lens, and that you're making all your adjustments using the dials..
    If this is already what you're doing, don't be shy about taking it back into the dealer (with the 10D) and having them explain it to you. If it doesn't work for them, then their 12 mo guarantee should allow you to swap it for something that does!:):
  • Options
    XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2005
    gsgary wrote:
    It is 2.8 through the whole zoom it may need chipping like DoctorIt mentioned. the dealer is called Jessops for one of the biggest dealers in the UK they have won awards for good service so it shouldn't be a problem
    Regards
    Gary
    OK I will pipe in, as I have NO clue about Canon, but I do know about Nikon D lenses, and one of the previous posters might have hinted towards that. On my Nikon D70, using a D lens (i.e. any lens with Aperture ring) on Nikon that ring needs to turned to the smallest aperture, and the body will control the aperture. If I mount a D lens w/o doing so, the camera will let me know, this might be similar. (BTW my 80-200/2.8D AF/S does the same thing even though it is constant 2.8 all the way)

FWIW,

XO,
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2005
    Thanks xo-Studios but there is no aperture ring on the lensne_nau.gif
    XO-Studios wrote:
    OK I will pipe in, as I have NO clue about Canon, but I do know about Nikon D lenses, and one of the previous posters might have hinted towards that. On my Nikon D70, using a D lens (i.e. any lens with Aperture ring) on Nikon that ring needs to turned to the smallest aperture, and the body will control the aperture. If I mount a D lens w/o doing so, the camera will let me know, this might be similar. (BTW my 80-200/2.8D AF/S does the same thing even though it is constant 2.8 all the way)

FWIW,

XO,
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 16, 2005
    gsgary wrote:
    Thanks xo-Studios but there is no aperture ring on the lensne_nau.gif
    I was just gonna say, no EF-mount lens should have a manual aperture ring.

So if this lens is in fact a 70-210, then I think it is a rather old lens (not to say it isn't great, just electronics are old). The newer 70-200 USM has been around for quite a while now. That may make it old enough to give you trouble. Like I said, I've heard this happening frequently with the the Bigma's (50-500). Those have been around for a long time, so people have to actually check serial #'s on them to see if they will work with a 10D w/o re-chipping.

If you have a big dealer to go back to, definitely do that. nod.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited August 16, 2005
    Thanks for all your help got a full refund but now i want a lens the new Sigma 70-200apo ex dg is £600 or would the Canon 70-200 F4 L USM be any good for motorbike racing £489.99 ?
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I was just gonna say, no EF-mount lens should have a manual aperture ring.

So if this lens is in fact a 70-210, then I think it is a rather old lens (not to say it isn't great, just electronics are old). The newer 70-200 USM has been around for quite a while now. That may make it old enough to give you trouble. Like I said, I've heard this happening frequently with the the Bigma's (50-500). Those have been around for a long time, so people have to actually check serial #'s on them to see if they will work with a 10D w/o re-chipping.

If you have a big dealer to go back to, definitely do that. nod.gif