Did "Medium" size change?

wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
edited June 13, 2004 in SmugMug Support
Perhaps my eyes are playing tricks on me, but it seems that the Medium size shot is smaller than it was a couple of weeks ago, or so.

Did it change?

I ask, because now Medium suddenly seems too small to really have an impact in a dgrin post. And a vertical shot that is Large is too large for folks with 15" monitors - they can't see the entire image on the screen.
Sid.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 2, 2004
    bump... I second that notion.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Perhaps my eyes are playing tricks on me, but it seems that the Medium size shot is smaller than it was a couple of weeks ago, or so.

Did it change?

I ask, because now Medium suddenly seems too small to really have an impact in a dgrin post. And a vertical shot that is Large is too large for folks with 15" monitors - they can't see the entire image on the screen.

Hey wxwax,

Nope, Medium hasn't changed in many many moons. In fact, to do so now would require a herculean effort - millions of photos re-generated = tons of CPU time and power.

I really doubt we could change the size if we really wanted to.

Not sure why your perception has changed, but smugmug hasn't. :)

As a side note, saying "Large is too large for folks with 15" monitors" isn't exactly accurate. I often run 15" monitors at 1280x1024 or better. Since our Large is 800x800 maximum, they'd fit quite nicely there.

I understand you meant "Large is too large for folks with monitors running at less than 1024x768" or something along those lines, but other less techy-savvy people might not. :)

Take care,

Don
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2004
    Thanks Don. Curious thing, that. It's only the vertical images which now feel smaller. Odd.

Re: monitor display resolution, my work 15" is at 1024x768, and I'd have trouble reading stuff, I think, if I made things smaller. ne_nau.gif

And while I have your attention, maybe you can help me find how to order prints of my own shots from smugmug? I've been searching around for a while now. One of my weakenesses is internet shopping, but I confess that smugmug has me stumped. How do I order? Or is that option only available to commercial users? And I seem to remember reading tips on minimum resolutions for each size print, but I can't find that either. Any suggestions? headscratch.gif

Thanks.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2004
    ordering prints
    wxwax wrote:

And while I have your attention, maybe you can help me find how to order prints of my own shots from smugmug? I've been searching around for a while now. One of my weakenesses is internet shopping, but I confess that smugmug has me stumped. How do I order? Or is that option only available to commercial users? And I seem to remember reading tips on minimum resolutions for each size print, but I can't find that either. Any suggestions? headscratch.gif

Thanks.

you must enable "ordering prints" in yoru gallery setup. smugmug's software is smart enough to not let you print something bigger than the file will support. holler back if you still need help ;-)

here's the print help page
    edited June 3, 2004
    andy wrote:
    you must enable "ordering prints" in yoru gallery setup. smugmug's software is smart enough to not let you print something bigger than the file will support. holler back if you still need help ;-)

here's the print help page

Ah, OK, thanks. thumb.gif I had found the print help page.
    Sid.
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited June 4, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Thanks Don. Curious thing, that. It's only the vertical images which now feel smaller. Odd.
    Onethumb's right that we haven't changed the size in many moons, but we did change it from what it was originally and I expected comments like yours but curiously we didn't receive any.

The issue was we were getting complaints about scrolling. We discovered early on that our users are positively allergic to it.

So we tweaked Elegant style so it fits exactly within 1024x768, no scrolling vertically or horizontally. And Elegant Small fits 800x600 monitors exactly (we sense your monitor size and serve up the right style for you by default until you override the default. That way no matter who you share with, you don't have to worry what monitor they have because smugmug fits it automatically.)

Since monitors are landscape orientation, we can't make as big a portrait-mode image as we can landscape mode, because we have fewer pixels to work with vertically.

Clear as mud?
    edited June 5, 2004
    thumb.gif Got it, thanks for the explanation.
    Sid.
  • lemketronlemketron Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2004
    Minor bug report
    On a somewhat related note to the medium size topic, I just noticed the following when viewing an image. I was looking at "all thumbs" and clicked on an image which has an original size of 640x480.

I see the following text: "Original size: 640x480.Â*Â*Â*Current: 400x300.Â*Â*Â* Want smaller? Medium"

The URL indicates that I'm already looking at Small, and the size popup says "Small". So, something here doesn't make sense

(It also says I haven't set a preferred photo size. I thought I did but maybe not on this machine if it's machine specific.)
    --Steve