Options

Played with a 7D in B&H today...

cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
edited October 20, 2010 in Cameras
...and holy cow, is that an nice camera! I absolutely love the viewfinder and the new focusing screens, that is just incredibly slick. Looks alot like a Nikon now.

I wish I could have walked out with that baby, but other priorities call. (heck it would have saved me $20 on parking)

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,827 moderator
    edited October 13, 2010
    cmason wrote: »
    ...and holy cow, is that an nice camera! I absolutely love the viewfinder and the new focusing screens, that is just incredibly slick. Looks alot like a Nikon now.

I wish I could have walked out with that baby, but other priorities call. (heck it would have saved me $20 on parking)

Yes, a Canon 7D will save you $20 in parking every time. (Spread the word. rolleyes1.gif)

I think I would absolutely love the ability to select separate AF points for portrait and landscape orientation, the speed of dual image processors and the built-in wireless flash controller. While I continue to do fine without those amenities in the cameras I have, I do "want" those features each and every time I come upon an occasion where they would have come in handy.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2010
    ~whispers: doooo ittt... dooo ittt~

~evil grin~ :D

Prices are falling, so it shouldn't be too much longer before it's viable! I'm SO glad I managed to snag one of the Adorama refurbs last May - it was worth every darned penny.
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2010
    I think I'm getting one for my birthday next week and I can not wait! :smo My 40D's shutter has failed for the second time, making photography a very frustrating venture at the moment. I'm looking forward to getting back into the swing of things!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2010
    w0000t wings.gifclap.gif. You will LOVE it Elaine. Takes a little getting used to (and I still haven't figured out all the custom functions!), but it is one niiiccce machine thumb.gif
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,243 moderator
    edited October 14, 2010
    Elaine wrote: »
    I think I'm getting one for my birthday next week and I can not wait! :smo My 40D's shutter has failed for the second time, making photography a very frustrating venture at the moment. I'm looking forward to getting back into the swing of things!
    I had the same problem with my 40D, opted to get my 7D via the Canon loyalty program instead of fixing the 40D after the second shutter failure. 7D = happy Denise...

I suspect you'll be very happy with the 7D, although as divamum indicated there is definitely a learning curve.

--- Denise
  • Options
    ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2010
    Just have to jump in as a fellow 7d fan. I carry the manual everywhere as there is alot to learn but am pleasantly surprised everytime I try something new with it!
    Amanda
    It is never to late to become what you might have been.
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2010
    I had the same problem with my 40D, opted to get my 7D via the Canon loyalty program instead of fixing the 40D after the second shutter failure. 7D = happy Denise...

I suspect you'll be very happy with the 7D, although as divamum indicated there is definitely a learning curve.

--- Denise

Denise, did you happen to get a quote on how much it would cost to fix the 40D? My first shutter failure was under warranty and I haven't sent it in yet this time. I might after I get the 7D. I was thinking I might try to sell it after fixing the shutter, if it wasn't too much. I have really loved my 40D, but I am getting really excited about the 7D! I love to read the manual, so I plan to sit down and read and tweak and tinker and play for a good long while.
    Elaine

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,243 moderator
    edited October 14, 2010
    Elaine wrote: »
    Denise, did you happen to get a quote on how much it would cost to fix the 40D? My first shutter failure was under warranty and I haven't sent it in yet this time. I might after I get the 7D. I was thinking I might try to sell it after fixing the shutter, if it wasn't too much. I have really loved my 40D, but I am getting really excited about the 7D! I love to read the manual, so I plan to sit down and read and tweak and tinker and play for a good long while.
    The 2nd failure was 8 months after the first, so technically it wasn't covered by the 6-month repair warranty - but when I called they said they would try to put it through at no cost. I was sufficiently uncomfortable with a failure that appeared to me to be identical from the first, and when I told the support rep that he told me about the loyalty program. I went for the 7D and as part of that program I needed to return the broken body.

My first shutter repair was $200. But if your first repair was recent, it might be covered.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2010
    The 2nd failure was 8 months after the first, so technically it wasn't covered by the 6-month repair warranty - but when I called they said they would try to put it through at no cost. I was sufficiently uncomfortable with a failure that appeared to me to be identical from the first, and when I told the support rep that he told me about the loyalty program. I went for the 7D and as part of that program I needed to return the broken body.

My first shutter repair was $200. But if your first repair was recent, it might be covered.

--- Denise

Interesting. Thanks. I got the camera in Dec of '07 and sent it in for the first shutter repair in Sept '08. The first time it failed it was a complete shut down. This time, I can still get it to take a photo on about the 10th or 14th press of the shutter. And sometimes it has a big delay where I press it, it thinks about it, it finally clicks and then sometimes does a quick second click. Obviously this isn't right, and it's ridiculous trying to take photos of people this way. I can still limp along and get some shots now and then, but I'm sure an epic failure is right around the corner. Since it's been a couple years, I'm guessing it would probably cost at least $200+ to get fixed at this point. I'm ready to move on! But fixing it and selling it or fixing it and keeping it as a teaching camera for my son may be nice.
    Elaine

• Options
    rt2photort2photo Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2010
    I *love* my 7D - the wireless flash control makes me happy :D
  • Options
    WanderWander Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited October 15, 2010
    Take the train next time and save the $20- if your creative with your math you could work that into the camera paying for itself!
    ~Matt

Nikon D70s
    Nikon F4s
    Pentax K1000
    Olympus OM-10
    Gitzo CF tripod/Arca Swiss ball head
    Not nearly enough lenses
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2010
    Wander wrote: »
    Take the train next time and save the $20- if your creative with your math you could work that into the camera paying for itself!

Ha, I was driving from NJ to LaGuardia. Looked up as I went down 34th ST and saw B&H. Did a U turn and parked in 'complementary' B&H garage. Planned on getting lots of things, but only had an hour, so got nothing. Given the NYC tax, its a wash between buying in NY and ordering online with shipping. Didn't want to carry a tripod as a carryon!!
  • Options
    WanderWander Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited October 15, 2010
    Know the route well-why can't they get a train to LGA!?

How you enjoy that 30 min taxi to the end of the runway?
    ~Matt

Nikon D70s
    Nikon F4s
    Pentax K1000
    Olympus OM-10
    Gitzo CF tripod/Arca Swiss ball head
    Not nearly enough lenses
  • Options
    FreezframeFreezframe Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2010
    Considering a 7D for upgrade from 5D.
    I'm finding the 5D a little cumbersome lately. It's a pain in the butt to keep clean, and I really just don't use it that much, because I've gotten away from Portraits and Landscape. My 50D gets used at least 10 time as much.( One thing for sure the 5D will holds its values over the 7D!) My Loss!!!

Brady ne_nau.gif
    Dad/Photograher:ivar
  • Options
    SweetScenePhotoSweetScenePhoto Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited October 15, 2010
    Reading this forum and others, I bought the 7D (over the 60D). I'm anxiously waiting for the battery to charge so I can take it out!
    Jasa Wolfrey
    www.sweetscenephotography.com
    Gear: Canon 7D & Rebel XSi
    Lenses: 18-55mm, EF 50mm F/1.8 II, 75-200mm, 28-135mm, 75-300mm
    Extras: Sigma EF-530 DG Super Flash, Gary Fong (white)
    Paint Shop Pro 6, Adobe Photoshop Elements 8, Adobe Lightroom 2
  • Options
    RobFotoRobFoto Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2010
    my 7D is flawless, this camera gets better and better with use. I added a Canon grip and 32gb card so I never have to stop shooting.
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2010
    A box from B&H with my new 7D arrived today! Charge, battery, charge!!! wings.gif
    Elaine

• Options
    Stella7dStella7d Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    Yay for the 7D!! I LOVE mine!!! clap.giflust:ivar
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    7:D, 7:D, 7:D, 7:D

I bought 32 gig memory and extra genuine battery and i am always in peace!
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery