Options

Problems in advanced customizing edit boxes in IE8

jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
edited October 21, 2010 in Bug Reporting
If I ever try to edit my bottom javascript in the advanced customizing page in IE8, it is a massively frustrating experience and something is busted. Here's what I see.
  1. I scroll to a place that I want to edit using either the scroll bar or the mouse wheel.
  2. I click on the line I want to edit with the mouse in order to place the cursor in the appropriate spot.
  3. Within seconds, the edit box window scrolls somewhere else so I can no longer see where the cursor is.
  4. If I use something like the right arrow key, then it scrolls back so I can see the cursor again and I can try to edit again, but this process will repeat over and over again.
I describe the problem here for bottom javascript, but I've seen the same issue in the other edit boxes in that page as along as they have enough data in them to lead to multiple screens worth of scrolling.

I have no idea why it does this. I've never seen this issue in IE8 in any other web page, though I admit that I don't use IE8 regularly. I'm only using it in this case because I keep IE8 logged in on one of my other accounts (the one I don't use that often).

FYI, I don't normally do much editing in these edit boxes because they are so constrained in size, but when all you're trying to do is fix a small error or make a small change, a direct edit is still the fastest way to get the job done (if it didn't have this problem).
--John
HomepagePopular
JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
Always include a link to your site when posting a question

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    Weird, I'll have Doc bug it (I see the issue too).
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    Might not be a SmugBug. I've had the same issue when working on my blogger page at work (where we only have IE8). It might be unrelated, but the problems JFriend is reporting match issues I've had exactly.
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 21, 2010
    Bugged it
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com