Options

Julianne-Senior (Niece)

markgorbymarkgorby Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited October 25, 2010 in People
Would really like all of your opinions on this...does it work? My niece really liked the idea but the more I stared at it, I just wasn't as sure. Shot today at one of our local State Parks. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    edited October 24, 2010
    Wow 65 looks and not 1 opinion. Thanks.
  • Options
    StashStash Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    Well, if it helps, I kinda like the photo, but would work better if the laying down version was in front. But that's only my opinion so take it FWIW.
    C&C always welcome. I can't learn if I don't know what I've done wrong or could do better.

http://donbirch.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2010
    Thanks Stash. I appreciate your input.
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2010
    Here's another one taking your advice in mind.
  • Options
    jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    Your last post seemed to work better. If I may suggest, I'd probably crop the image up to the part where the tip of her right hand fingers are still shown. It seemed to be tightly cropped on this one. I would also probably try to make the image of her tossing the ball more prominent by adding more opacity on the image and then fading slowly towards the hair of the image lying down. JMO. Great shots btw. thumb.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 24, 2010
    Don't let the number of "views" bother you.

Now to the shots...I can't quite put my finger on it but neither one works for me.
  • Options
    YoungNomadYoungNomad Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    I think it depends what style of shoot she wanted - if this is what she was after, I think you've nailed it. I think the composition works, and good post production.
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    Each of them almost works in their own way but when you put them together, neither works. They're trying to be everthing but as so often happens, they end up being nothing. You have to think about exactly what it is you're trying to acheive, and then only add things which help towards that end. If you're not careful it gets very cluttered…

Simplify…

HTH -

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    I've learned to follow a simple rule... just because I can, doesn't mean I should. IMO, that rule applies here. I'd focus less on trying to get "tricky" with the composite in photoshop and work more on getting the single images correct.

I like both poses. They seem relaxed and the gal is pretty but I think you missed from a technical perspective. The shots seem flat. They lack contrast... looks like there is neither a true white or black point. I'd start with fixing that with a simple curves layer. Next, I'd tone down that foreground in the first image. It's really bright and draws the eye to it instead of to your beautiful niece. There are some highlights that need attention, like on the ball in the first and her hair in the second. Also, I see some noise in both images... mostly on her in the first and in the BG in the second.

HTH.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    nope..neither of them work.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    I think it would have a better chance of working if you had a solid color background instead of an outdoor image. I'm not positive that would work either, but I think it would have a better chance.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    Yes, I agree with run kmc. A studio background would have lent itself nicely to the effect. The first thing you eye goes to is the sand.