Options

Assisting Clients' Ability to Find Photos

lbandjjblbandjjb Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
edited October 29, 2010 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I photographed a 5K run. The event would like me to list the photos by bib number. What would be the best system for file naming and sorting so the clients can easily locate their photos? I tried the ascending auto sort, and it is placing Bib 237 before Bib 6.

There may be around 500 photos in total. Also, is there a search feature I can add to my page so they can search for their bib number?

Thank you,
Lisa McCormack

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    If you're trying to use filename sort, then it needs to be 006 instead of 6 and it will then sort properly with 237. There is no true numeric sort for filenames in Smugmug, only alpha sort for filenames.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    Lisa - check out this thread: http://digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=163712&highlight=jfriend
    You would need to modify it so it just does the search on bib number.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    lbandjjblbandjjb Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    Thank you, John. That will work nicely. Mike, I tried to read the thread you provided, but got a message that it was a broken link, so I was unable to read it.

Did I read correctly somewhere (in a post from Andy, I believe) that the search feature will only find file names or keywords with four or more characters?

Lisa
  • Options
    SPK64SPK64 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2010
    lbandjjb wrote: »
    Thank you, John. That will work nicely. Mike, I tried to read the thread you provided, but got a message that it was a broken link, so I was unable to read it.

Did I read correctly somewhere (in a post from Andy, I believe) that the search feature will only find file names or keywords with four or more characters?

Lisa

Put quotes around the bib numbers.
    Here is an example set of keywords.
    "2007" soccer providence "north harrison" "nh4" "p13" "p17" goalie

And how the search was implemented on a gallery.

Searchable gallery
  • Options
    Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2010

Lisa
    Sorry about that Lisa. Try this one: http://digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=163712&highlight=search+race

I've implemented this on my site at: http://www.mikejulianaphotography.com/Ski-Racing/Search-Test-Gallery
    My understanding is that if you have a single or two-digit race number, you will need to pad the keyword with leading 0's. Thus a race number of 6 would need to have the keyword of "006" and a race number of 21 would need to have a keyword of "021"
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2010
    I photographed a 5K run. The event would like me to list the photos by bib number. What would be the best system for file naming and sorting so the clients can easily locate their photos? I tried the ascending auto sort, and it is placing Bib 237 before Bib 6.

There may be around 500 photos in total. Also, is there a search feature I can add to my page so they can search for their bib number?

Thank you,
    Lisa McCormack

Hi there,

You may want to check out THIS thread. Read post number 5.

And here's a link you may want to read too~

Just in case~
    tom wise