Options

Best Nikon-compatible wide angle lens?

kds1kds1 Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
edited October 29, 2010 in Accessories
What are your thoughts on the best wide angle Nikon compatible wide angle lens (without taking out a loan)? I would like to try out what I have read about with landscape photography and street photography using wide angle lenses. I really love the look of a lot of wide angle shots I have seen. However, I'm still not clear after reading what would be a really good one to start out with that won't break the bank. I have a Nikon D300.

Thanks!

Kara

www.kdstewart.net

Comments

• Options
    PhotometricPhotometric Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    kds1 wrote: »
    What are your thoughts on the best wide angle Nikon compatible wide angle lens (without taking out a loan)? I would like to try out what I have read about with landscape photography and street photography using wide angle lenses. I really love the look of a lot of wide angle shots I have seen. However, I'm still not clear after reading what would be a really good one to start out with that won't break the bank. I have a Nikon D300.

Thanks!

Kara

www.kdstewart.net

Kara,

Actually I was just asking about a lens that seems to be getting good feedback. The

Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 for Nikon
    http://www.djdimages.com/

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition."
    -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    Don't overlook the Tokina 12-24 for your crop body.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    yendikenoyendikeno Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    Icebear wrote: »

Agreed. I've used one with a D300 and its a great combo.
    Regards,
    AZFred
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2010
    Icebear wrote: »

What do you mean by "for your crop body?"

Kara
  • Options
    FLYING EYEBALLFLYING EYEBALL Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    What do you mean by "for your crop body?"

Kara

Your Camera has a 1.5X crop. The sensor is smaller than a full frame sensor.

You take the focal length you are shooting, say 12mm and multiply times 1.5=18mm

Here is the wiki version http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APS-C

I'm on my second 12-24 Tokina for Nikon and can't say enough good things about it. For $300 in the used market its hard to beat. If I had the extra $$ I would own the Tokina 11-16 fwiw.

Good Luck thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2010
    Your Camera has a 1.5X crop. The sensor is smaller than a full frame sensor.

You take the focal length you are shooting, say 12mm and multiply times 1.5=18mm

Here is the wiki version http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APS-C

I'm on my second 12-24 Tokina for Nikon and can't say enough good things about it. For $300 in the used market its hard to beat. If I had the extra $$ I would own the Tokina 11-16 fwiw.

Good Luck thumb.gif

Gotcha - thank you!
  • Options
    FLYING EYEBALLFLYING EYEBALL Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    Gotcha - thank you!

Yer welcome :D

Seymore' shot reminded me of these.

The 12-24 on a D80

992464674_GNnGZ-L.jpg

992460865_xZfho-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2010
    Ooo - nice shots!

Thank you everyone, for your input!
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010

Thanks!

Kara

www.kdstewart.net
    I will re-cast my vote for the Tokina 11-16! If you shoot in low light and need a lens that is razor sharp wide open, the Tokina is really the only way to go.

If you shoot landscapes and other things and usually find yourself at f/8 or f/11, the Nikon 12-24 is one of the best choices, the Tokina 12-24 is also great, and the Sigma 10-20 is also great. (The older one, variable aperture, is actually sharper I think)

Good luck choosing!

One thing to note is that, as others have mentioned, you're on a crop sensor and you have to think about if you will ever want to upgrade to the larger sensor size. Doing so will render certain "crop-sensor" lenses useless, while others may still be usable at certain focal lengths. The Nikon 12-24 for example still works great on full-frame from 18-24mm, and the Tokina 11-16 works at 16mm... So if you have a 24-70 or 24-120 too, you're set for life pretty much. :-) Unless you plan on getting a D700 or something like, next month, in which case you're better off considering a landscape ultra-wide like the 16-35 f/4 VR that is designed for use on such a larger sensor. However, considering that budget is a concern of yours, and landscapes are usually made at low ISO's and deep apertures, I'm going to highly recommend sticking with your D300, or something like the D7000, because of how affordable and compact it will be, while still delivering amazing results...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    I will cast a vote on the Sigma Lenses.......I have always had
    fantastic results with Sigmas........What I would suggest is to
    rent the lenses you are interested in, preferably at the same
    time so you do not have to remember how a lens felt or worked.....
    It will be a real time comparison for you and I am not knocking
    getting opinions from all on here...I do it also....but nothing is
    as good as a side by side real time comparison......

Good Luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited October 29, 2010
    Thank you, Matthew and Molsondog. And Art, I had no idea a person could actually rent lenses to try out! Thanks for all the help, everyone!
  • Options
    PhotometricPhotometric Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2010
    Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8

1068095018_mSVpv-M-1.jpg
    http://www.djdimages.com/

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition."
    -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2010
    Thank you, Matthew and Molsondog. And Art, I had no idea a person could actually rent lenses to try out! Thanks for all the help, everyone!

Check out Borrowlwnses.com ...I have not rented from them but many others on here have..............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website