Options

St. Pete Beach Wedding

jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
edited October 24, 2010 in Weddings
My husband and I are a little "rusty" - we worked for a big local studio for several years while doing a few weddings here and there for our own business. They kept the rights to all the photos we shot for them - so we've been trying to build our portfolio back up but had a 2 year hiatus in between b/c my husband was going to school all day on Saturdays... anyway, its been a while since we shot a wedding...

Here's one of my favorites from a wedding we shot on St. Pete Beach on Sunday:

1055307802_H83od-L.jpg

(looking at it now, I don't like that her eyes are closed, but it is the best shot of the series... :dunno )

More on our blog:

http://www.jasonscottphotoblog.com/2010/10/st-pete-beach-wedding-jim-and-jess.html

and many, many more in the actual gallery:

http://www.jasonscottphoto.com/Sarasota-Wedding-Photos/2010/Jim-and-Jessica/14214377_kkspQ
Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube

Comments

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    This is pretty good. You did a nice job not blowing out the dress with your lighting. I usually suggest you watch the location of your horizon on these types of shots. It goes right through the bride's head which is not ideal.

I enjoyed your blog. I'm up in Clearwater if you ever need a second shooter.
  • Options
    kyeeziekyeezie Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    Mitchell wrote: »
    This is pretty good. You did a nice job not blowing out the dress with your lighting. I usually suggest you watch the location of your horizon on these types of shots. It goes right through the bride's head which is not ideal.

I enjoyed your blog. I'm up in Clearwater if you ever need a second shooter.

It is a meeting of the Tampa Bay area crew! I am just outside of Clearwater. We should all get together! Anyway, I'm available as a second, or just help. Anyway, I like the picture. I am not a fan of the horizon either It is hard with pictures like that, where should the horizon go? Cause in order to really see it, it has to go through someone, right? Hmm, I don't shoot on the beach enough I guess, but I do like it. I did not notice her eyes were closed. I went through some of the pictures and they will be happy with them. She is a beautiful bride. I love the one where her dad (?) is putting her necklace on. The one thing that bothered me, you have no real control over, but it is the palm tree in the way during the ceremony. I bet you have a picture in there you can submit for the monthly contest!! Let's all get together!!:ivar
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2010
    Good point about the horizon. I'm just the assistant - my hubby takes the photos (although I did do some of the getting ready photos this time - he has to set up the camera for me though) but I will bring this up to him next time.

Thanks for the comments!

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2010
    Also, I agree about the palm tree! Annoying! But, what can ya do?

• Options
    tat1973tat1973 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 21, 2010
    Good job on the lighting, I can still see a lot of detail from the dress.
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    tat1973 wrote: »
    Good job on the lighting, I can still see a lot of detail from the dress.

I like the lighting and detail in the dress. But, am not liking the lighting as far as the shadow goes...it spoils your beach portrait. It looks like you have off camera flash and on camera flash. He has a shadow behind him and she has a huge shadow on picture left, under her outstretched arm. Shooting / lighting from a lower angle would greatly improve the image...by putting the shadow out to sea. And, I'd think about using an umbrella to soften the light since the sun is going away.

What did you use for lighting in this shot?

One other suggestion. I would PP the bouy in the BG behind the bride. It doesn't need to be there.

I looked at your blog...nice images there. It does look like you over lit the last shot though. It has a lot of really harsh shadows in the background.

Just food for thought.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2010
    580EXII on a flash bracket. No other lighting.

Hmm... would getting down lower fix the horizon issue too?

I agree about the shadows in the last shot on the blog. My husband (the photographer) is in love with the shot for some reason.

• Options
    edited October 24, 2010
    PS - for that last shot we did have an off camera flash aimed at the ceiling (in addition to the one on a flash bracket) but shouldn't have used it because there were too many things around to make shadows.

• Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    580EXII on a flash bracket. No other lighting.

Hmm... would getting down lower fix the horizon issue too?

I agree about the shadows in the last shot on the blog. My husband (the photographer) is in love with the shot for some reason.

By lowering your perspective on the beach shot, and keeping the same point of focus, you will find that the horizon will also move lower. I'm not sure that's the shot you want...but, it does fix the line through the head problem.

If it were me, I think I'd move them closer to the water, lower my shooting point until I had the horizon where I wanted it, and then try several shots with the sun in varying postions left or right. And, I wouldn't be opposed to a shoot through umbrella off camera to soften the light, since the natural light is going away.

Hope this helps...
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2010
    Thanks!