Options

Nasef and Haidy's Wedding 15th October

Mark1616Mark1616 Registered Users Posts: 319 Major grins
edited October 25, 2010 in Weddings
This is the 2nd wedding I've been brave enough to post here so please be gentle while still being constructive ;)

I've just started working through these from yesterday and pulled a few out quickly to share to ease the boredom of the rest of the editing.

As ever, please let me know what you think to help me improve next time out.

1 I was rushing, I really should have sorted the straps! However, I like the shadows still.
5086522805_0407241610_b.jpg

5086523847_b2963c92a2_b.jpg

5086524593_6d0da45374_b.jpg

5086525577_cd659f8422_b.jpg

5087121486_d96d0e685d_b.jpg

6 Heading to the dance floor for the first dance.
5086526417_162e4ae442_b.jpg

7 As you can see, things get pretty crazy on the dance floor making it difficult to get much apart from overhead shots. This is where being 6'6" tall helps out. OK, not the best shot but it gives you an idea.
5087122676_9d7e57cf25_b.jpg

I'm here to learn so please feel free to give me constructive criticism to help me become the photographer I desire to be.

Comments

• Options
    edited October 18, 2010
    Not sure if people are not liking these, or saying to be nice to me stopped people being honest, but I would love to know your thoughts.

I'm here to learn so please feel free to give me constructive criticism to help me become the photographer I desire to be.

• Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2010
    I think these are very nice - especially #5. Lovely job. I am not always one that loves tilting images just to make them more interesting than they otherwise would be, but these ones work ok.
  • Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2010
    Overall, I like them. I'd like them much more without the tilt. Was that done in camera or in post? Either way, the tilt is taking away from the images, not adding to them. Following the rule of thirds as these are cropped, if not in camera, would help these be a stronger set.

The getting ready shot could be cropped down quite a bit; the mirror and tilt are not adding to the story and a closer view would show the excitement and anticipation in the bride's face more clearly. I'd also like to see the one of them going to the dance floor brightened up and processed in b & w. And the one of the bride leaning on the fence: can't help but wish that she was the one in focus, and not the groom.

Hope this didn't come off as too critical. The couple will likely be thrilled!
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2010
    Thanks guys.

Smurfy, the tilt on these is in camera. I shoot a mix of straight and tilted depending on the taste of the couple. I personally am quite keen to tilted (probably why I post a lot of them rather than the straight ones) but cover off the desired style with the couple in a pre wedding consultation.

Re the B&G on the bridge, I wanted to mix it up as have lots where the B is at the front so in this one gave the G the focal point, he has to play 2nd fiddle enough for the rest of the shoot ;)

I've not PP'd this wedding yet as just completing the previous one so will take other things into consideration.

Thanks for taking time to comment, it helps me to learn to see how other photographers see things so I can take the parts that work for me that I might not have considered otherwise...... keep them coming people :)

• Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    4 is really, REALLY lovely. WOW!thumb.gif Also an example of when tilt really works with the surrounding architecture.

3 is an example, IMO, of when tilt is "arbitrary" or adds nothing to the scene. The two ladies in the BG look like they're going to fall over. I'd shoot this one a bit tighter with a shallow DOF to isolate the bride and minimize the background clutter.

6 is lit very well. I struggle with these types of shots. This turned out wonderful, sidelights the couple without removing the dark ambient setting. I like how the smoke frames the couple. One nit is the other photog (or you in a mirror?) but should be easy to remove.

7 is a strong reception image, nice lighting, action, sharpness and emotion.

Overall very nice job!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2010
    urbanaries wrote: »
    4 is really, REALLY lovely. WOW!thumb.gif Also an example of when tilt really works with the surrounding architecture.

3 is an example, IMO, of when tilt is "arbitrary" or adds nothing to the scene. The two ladies in the BG look like they're going to fall over. I'd shoot this one a bit tighter with a shallow DOF to isolate the bride and minimize the background clutter.

6 is lit very well. I struggle with these types of shots. This turned out wonderful, sidelights the couple without removing the dark ambient setting. I like how the smoke frames the couple. One nit is the other photog (or you in a mirror?) but should be easy to remove.

7 is a strong reception image, nice lighting, action, sharpness and emotion.

Overall very nice job!

Thanks for the feedback :)

I think you are right about #3, I sometimes get stuck into tilt mode and don't go back to straight..... other times I get stuck in straight and never tilt, will find a balance one day. I really want a fast prime in the bag for this sort of thing, they are on the list for the future.

I hadn't spotted the photog in 6, will take him out in the finals.

Thanks again!!