Options

My Daughters Engagement Pics...

rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
edited October 26, 2010 in Weddings
My daughter and her fiance wanted some engagement pics, but they also wanted to save some $$ and so they asked me if I would like to take some. I have never done anything like this before and was not sure that I wanted to. But we spent and afternoon, took a lot of pics and they found some that they were happy with.
I would be interested in your thoughts, comments and suggestions.

Thanks for looking, Ron

1053930257_ibXeq-L.jpg

1053930262_CWd7L-L.jpg

1053930300_DALPY-L.jpg

1053930303_uMBUu-L.jpg

1053930313_C8eNi-L.jpg

1053930330_3iUKS-L.jpg

1053930348_mW3oZ-L.jpg

1053930357_zXfTt-L.jpg

1053930368_kbbFU-L.jpg

1053930381_cgkJx-L.jpg

1053930382_kLmfb-L.jpg
"The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95

Comments

• Options
    Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2010
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2010
    I think it is ok now.

Sorry, Ron

Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • Options
    Jazmyn76Jazmyn76 Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2010
    Love 8, really like 5, 9 & 11. There seems to be some harsh sunlight in some of them bringing on the squinty eyes it looks like, but that location seems very neat to have available! She looks a little stiff in 10, but it might be the angle? Overall though, not a bad set, at least in my very amature opinion. :)
  • Options
    SevenNineteenSevenNineteen Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2010
    Those are great! Personally 2, 5, 10 and 11 are my favorites! They're wonderful!
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2010
    I think technically they are very close to perfect. I'd maybe play around a bit more with contrasts and brighten some shadows in the faces, but they are all very solid. The posing however looks very ... "posed" ... haha! I guess it's a question of "style", I prefer if the photos are posed, but still look natural (if you know what I mean (have the couple interact with each other, so you can see the "love" between them)

Having said this, I am sure the photos will end up in frames & on the walls, so job well done! thumb.gifiloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2010
    1, 2, 9, 11 are my favs. :)

There's a bit too much sun and stiffness.

#8 doesn't work for me because I'm looking at your daughter and then there's the back of his head.
  • Options
    StephanyStephany Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2010
    'Stiffness' as described by Neil Jacob is how I feel. But #9 is lovely. I'd crop the jeans off in a hurry, though. This is just a personal view not a pro photographer view. Your daughter is lovely.
  • Options
    jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2010
    I like #5 and 11, With the other shots the guy does not seem to connect for me. Maybe I was hoping for some intimate chemistry between the 2. JMO. If you play with it on the pp using the Viveza software to work on the highlights and shadows all the shots would stand out more. Great pics btw. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2010
    jiro wrote: »
    ....With the other shots the guy does not seem to connect for me. Maybe I was hoping for some intimate chemistry between the 2....

I was thinking the same thing, but then of course we have to remember that this is the young couple's father/future Father-in-law taking the shots :D
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2010
    I appreciate the input all! Like I said, I really had no idea what I was doing!! I told them that the pics were worth exactly what they paid me for them. But they were happy with them and I was happy about that. They will have a Pro shoot their wedding:).

Having a "Pro" take the pics does not guarantee success though. I have a friend who's daughter was just married. The wedding was in the middle of the afternoon, outside and the "Pro" took most pics with and ISO of between 1000 and 2000. They ended up with some pretty overexposed pictures.

I hope you don't mind if I post a few more here. Are your opinions any different on these?

Thanks, Ron

1055421371_fQGxZ-L.jpg

1055421382_fUaT5-L.jpg

1055421391_owrfY-L.jpg

1055421406_VGoMp-L.jpg

1055421411_N4b8P-L.jpg

1055421418_qZQZf-L.jpg

1055421422_ZSFnm-L.jpg

• Options
    edited October 19, 2010
    I was thinking the same thing, but then of course we have to remember that this is the young couple's father/future Father-in-law taking the shots :D

I forgot that part. maybe that's the reason why the future son-in-law is a bit reserved... future dad-in-law is watching. :D

• Options
    edited October 19, 2010
    Mr. Ront, if I may make a suggestion - make some time with the 2 future couple and take a lot of candid shots of them. Most of the time when the subject is relaxed that's the time their raw emotions and beauty just shines out. As the father of the bride you definitely have some nice ideas as to what pics you want your daughter to have that some "pros" can miss out. If i were you I'd still take my dslr with me and take my "shots" whenever I feel like it before and after the wedding. Advanced congratulations to the future husband and wife. thumb.gif

• Options
    edited October 19, 2010
    ront wrote: »
    I appreciate the input all! Like I said, I really had no idea what I was doing!! I told them that the pics were worth exactly what they paid me for them. But they were happy with them and I was happy about that. They will have a Pro shoot their wedding:).

Having a "Pro" take the pics does not guarantee success though. I have a friend who's daughter was just married. The wedding was in the middle of the afternoon, outside and the "Pro" took most pics with and ISO of between 1000 and 2000. They ended up with some pretty overexposed pictures.

I hope you don't mind if I post a few more here. Are your opinions any different on these?

Thanks, Ron

I'm sticking with what I said about the fact that this is your daughter/future son-in-law. No offense, but I think they might not be comfortable with being romantic in front of you.

Of all the shots, I like #11 the most.

BTW.... Check out the size of that ROCK!
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    For never having done this before I think you did a great job!
    What could be improved?

I would take caution shooting in direct sunlight as the harsh shadows and bright areas can be difficult to manage.
    You can also use a scrim if shade is not an option.
    You should be proud of these for your first time and I'm sure they're happy with them too.....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    Stella7dStella7d Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    What a beautiful setting!! Lovely couple!
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    Congrats!! clap.gif

I've moved this post to the weddings forum; People is also an appropriate forum and you did absolutely nothing wrong by posting them there, however we have sort of an unwritten rule to keep the engagements and wedding photos together thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2010
    No problem Ivar! I really wondered if the pics should have gone in the wedding forum, but was not sure.

Thanks, Ron

• Options
    E ColbyE Colby Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    Ton,
    Daddy, you did a good job for your baby girl. Manito certainly makes a great spot to shot. My only advice is not to shoot the wedding. I did for my youngest son, and I will never do it again! Best wishes to the couple.
    Cheers,
    Colby
    "Anything more than 500 yards from the car just isn't photogenic." Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2010
    Thanks Colby! They don't want me to shoot the wedding and to be honest, I am glad!! Nothing against them, but the pro will do a much better job I am sure!! I also want to enjoy the wedding!!

Ron

• Options
    eirreteirret Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 26, 2010
    I really like the colors, and setting is beautiful. Very lovely couple. I really like the pose on second set #5, but would have suggested her ring hand face camera so ring showed. Beautiful pictures. Congratulations on the upcoming day.