Options

on the average

fotophunfotophun Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited October 26, 2010 in Weddings
on the average how much do your brides spend on their albums?

or how much does is the separate cost if you include in you package

and after the fact it is not included in the package how much are your

brides spending for albums

PLUS
do you mainly see them purchasing the flush mount/book type albums, or do some still purchase the traditional prints album

thanks for you input

Comments

• Options
    fotophunfotophun Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited October 22, 2010
    one more thing to add to my last questions

who do you print your images with?

also with the book type style book, do charge for every last pic in the book
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2010
    I use finao "One" album which is flush mount magazine style. I think they charge around $400 for 20 page 12x12 (10 real pages). I don't do alacarte on the album..it is part of the package. If I did do alacarte, I would charge $1k or so.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2010
    fotophun wrote: »
    on the average how much do your brides spend on their albums?

or how much does is the separate cost if you include in you package

and after the fact it is not included in the package how much are your

brides spending for albums

PLUS
    do you mainly see them purchasing the flush mount/book type albums, or do some still purchase the traditional prints album

thanks for you input
    This is totally skipping over the whole business model and REASONING behind how to price a product so it turns a profit and oh-so-many other factors, but....

As a rule of thumb, take the product you want to sell and triple the cost to you. Include the cost of having it designed too, if there's even the slightest chance that you won't have the time to design it yourself.

And triple is just a starting point, the rock-bottom amount for "turn a profit"... Many wedding photographers charge 5X+ for their albums. And for prints, the traditional studio business model won't really be profitable until you're charging 50-100X. Yes, I said 100X markup. But for weddings, usually you don't charge THAT much markup because you're providing the client with a disc, and more importantly an album, etc. etc. so you make the bulk of your profit on the front end.

Like I said, this barely scratches the surface, and really it'd be a good idea to sit down and truly study the business models behind portraiture, event photography, commercial photography, etc. It will really help create an understanding of WHY to charge $X, instead of just being given an arbitrary number...

One resource you can try is, google "stacy reeves pricing guide" ...and read that thing ten times a day. :-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    FotobyMoMoFotobyMoMo Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    I love flush mount albums! When I start doing serious wedding photography, I'll try to sell that to almost all of my customers. Check them out here. Price is really good compared to others imo

http://www.nationsphotolab.com/albums.htm?gclid=CL7N6L6o7qQCFRpO5QodiCZE1A
    www.fotobymomo.com | www.facebook.com/fotobymomo

Gear List: Canon 5D Mm2 | T1i (backup) | 16-35 2.8L | 27-200 2.8L Mk2 | 24-105 4L | Sigma 85mm 1.4 | Canon 580ex flash
  • Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    Everything that Matt said.

I use Millers Pano Flushmounts. I know people that use finao and leather craftsman.

I'm not going to tell you what I charge. You should never charge the same as someone else because that "looks" like the right price. If I did that I would be charging $21.98 for a 30 minute portrait session because the studio down the street is always busy and they charge that much.

Also, just because something is cheaper, doesn't mean its better. We choose these high end labs because they produce consistent, professional results and have extremely good turnaround times and customer service.

Welcome to dgrin, I'm sorry if my post sounds negative.. that's just how I am. I tell it how it is.

Jeremy

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Jer
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    Qarik wrote: »
    I use finao "One" album which is flush mount magazine style. I think they charge around $400 for 20 page 12x12 (10 real pages). I don't do alacarte on the album..it is part of the package. If I did do alacarte, I would charge $1k or so.

ditto. Except that I use Black River Imaging.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    shmingshming Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2010
    We use Graphi-Studio for all our albums. We include them in the packages. Yes we do alacarte' - but we price that 20% above our packages. I'm not gonna share my prices but I'll tell you that Mathew Saville is on the mark for what we charge. Our non-wedding photo products and photo shoots are priced not quite as high as our weddings because that is not our forte.

Here is some great advice: DON'T LET PRICE BE THE ONLY THING THAT DEFINES WHO YOU ARE!! PRICE ACCORDINGLY. Photos are priceless right? Well how much are your clients willing to pay for priceless?
    KLinh
    Klinh Evelyn Grace Photography
    Fashion & Commercial
    (2)Mamiya RZ67 IID, Mamiya 645 AFD II, Leaf Aptus 65, Profoto D1's, Capture One.
    http://www.klinhevelyngracephotography.com
  • Options
    FedererPhotoFedererPhoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2010

Charge 750. Done.

No, seriously -- it's not really a question that applies. It'd be like asking, "what is the average focal length"?. (without any consideration as to whom you asked or what they do)... and then making purchasing decisions on that.
    like Matt says, you have to understand your target market, yourclients, yourproduct, yourown costs, what yourmarket will bear, yourbusiness model, how much you need to earn to be able to feed your family, etc... I know people that shoot weddings for near-free and then profit on insanely expensive after-shoot deliverables. I also know people (and I'm kind of one of them) that makes almost 100% of my profits on a relatively high upfront cost and then low cost (many things are less than 2x wholesale costs) on most deliverables.

But to attempt to be directly helpful without saying too much on a public forum -- most of my clients end up spending roughly 50% of their coverage fee on an album afterwards. (that is to say - if the coverage fee was ~5k, they spend ~2.5k on an album) They are always bought after-the-fact as an alacarte item. Flushmount is all I sell. Queensbery and Finao are some good places to start looking for well-made albums.
    Minneapolis Minnesota Wedding Photographer - Check out my Personal Photography site and Professional Photography Blog
    Here is a wedding website I created for a customer as a value-add. Comments appreciated.
    Founding member of The Professional Photography Forum as well.