Options

Cross your fingers!

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited October 26, 2010 in Sports
I've come to the conclusion that my only photos that really sell are the soccer shots of the U6 teams. These kids are cute and for many parents, this is their first foray into organized sports. The parents gobble up these action photos! Unfortunately, the season is only 8 weeks long. This year, I've organized my shooting to get every team. Next year there will be a new crop.

Who wouldn't want this photo of their kid? Cross your fingers before you shoot!

1060097827_otUHq-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    OhEddieOhEddie Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    I can read her thoughts....

The keeper is guarding the right side and I'm gonna bend it like Beckham........................ GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL
    Blessed are those who remain flexible, for they shall not get bent out of shape.
  • Options
    rstwoheerstwohee Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    Mitchell wrote: »
    I've come to the conclusion that my only photos that really sell are the soccer shots of the U6 teams. These kids are cute and for many parents, this is their first foray into organized sports. The parents gobble up these action photos! Unfortunately, the season is only 8 weeks long. This year, I've organized my shooting to get every team. Next year there will be a new crop.

Just had that discussion with our board of directors recently. Seems the younger the athlete, the wider the parent's wallet opens....

I loved this picture - great capture! thumb.gif
    Well done is better than well said. - Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    RedFish71`RedFish71` Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    they are so cute at that age! what parent could resist!!!? great job. love the expression!!!
  • Options
    ErbemanErbeman Registered Users Posts: 926 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2010
    Just about as good as you could wish for there. I love that the background is totally oof. I know that can be hard to do in soccer.
    Come see my Photos at:
    http://www.RussErbePhotography.com :thumb
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/erbeman

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2010
    Erbeman wrote: »
    Just about as good as you could wish for there. I love that the background is totally oof. I know that can be hard to do in soccer.

Thanks, Russ. I'm not usually one to rant about equipment, but this is one case where fast glass really helps. As you know, these little soccer fields are busy places with busy backgrounds. The main thing that separates a good pro shot from a soccer mom in this setting is the ability to throw that background OOF with some fast (usually expensive) glass. This was taken with a 300mm, f2.8VR.
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2010
    Mitchell wrote: »
    Thanks, Russ. I'm not usually one to rant about equipment, but this is one case where fast glass really helps. As you know, these little soccer fields are busy places with busy backgrounds. The main thing that separates a good pro shot from a soccer mom in this setting is the ability to throw that background OOF with some fast (usually expensive) glass. This was taken with a 300mm, f2.8VR.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I could tell you were using something good.
    Come see my Photos at:

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro
  • Options
    Daddy0Daddy0 Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2010
    It's not even my child and I would hang that on a wall. Great shot.bowdown.gifclapwings.gif I have 2 girls, 2yrs & 4yrs old. Not sure what sports they are gonna get into, but I just hope I can get that kind of quality shot. Anybody know of a charity willing to help a guy buy better glass?
    Jimmie D.
    www.focusedonyourmemories.com

What you see depends on what you're looking for.
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2010
    I'd love to have a 300 2.8 one day. It's one of those areas where you can be a very competent photographer and you still have to have top-of-the-line glass. "It's not the camera, it's the photographer" isn't always true. Unfortunately, I don't have $4000 in my walletrolleyes1.gifD
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2010
    I'd love to have a 300 2.8 one day. It's one of those areas where you can be a very competent photographer and you still have to have top-of-the-line glass. "It's not the camera, it's the photographer" isn't always true. Unfortunately, I don't have $4000 in my walletrolleyes1.gifD

You speak the truth my man. I got a call from the photo editor of a sports magazine 4 days before a game. He wanted to hire me to shoot the game for them until he found out I didn't own my own 300mm. He then told me he would get back to me. Of course he didn't. So I sent him a link to my pics of the game the following Monday along with some verbage telling him that I think he made a mistake.
    Come see my Photos at:

• Options
    edited October 26, 2010
    Daddy0 wrote: »
    It's not even my child and I would hang that on a wall. Great shot.bowdown.gifclapwings.gif I have 2 girls, 2yrs & 4yrs old. Not sure what sports they are gonna get into, but I just hope I can get that kind of quality shot. Anybody know of a charity willing to help a guy buy better glass?

This cracked me up.rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for the kind words. Soccer is a great sport for those young girls. My 15 year old daughter still plays competitively.