My Camera Purchase:: Was it smart?

SimplyShaneSimplyShane Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
edited October 28, 2010 in Cameras
Just today I bought this:

An Olympus E-600 Refurb with a 14-42 kit and a 40-150 zoom.
One Kingston 8GB Elite Pro Compact Flash Card
A Replacement Battery
A Slinger Bag
3 Year Extended Warranty with Accidental coverage...

All for $575.75 shipped.
---

I do wish I could take out that silly 40-150 and trade it for a 70-300.
Also, the 3 year warranty was probably WAY overkill. (It cost me 54 bucks...)

What do you guys think? Should I have just waited for Black Friday? (I technically could still take this order back as Adorama gives you 30 days...)
---My Photography Homepage---

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bengford

Comments

• billythekbillythek Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2010
    It wouldn't have been my choice, but I haven't done a lot of research on the Olympus E-600. What was it that attracted you to this deal? What do you see as the pros and cons?

In my mind, Canon and Nikon are so dominating in the DSLR market, that I wouldn't even consider another brand unless there were an extremely compelling reason. And with the deals you can get with the Canon Loyalty Program (plus some broken P&S picked up on ebay or craigslist cheap), the reasons would have to be extremely compelling.
    - Bill
  • EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2010
    What you got it pretty much the best you can get for your money. Evaluate it for yourself. If it works for you, then keep it and don't regret it. If it doesn't work for you, get rid of it. Also, don't forget that on Olympus cameras you have a 2 times crop factor, so the 40-150 is like an 80-300 on a full frame camera.
  • SimplyShaneSimplyShane Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2010
    Eclipsed wrote: »
    What you got it pretty much the best you can get for your money. Evaluate it for yourself. If it works for you, then keep it and don't regret it. If it doesn't work for you, get rid of it. Also, don't forget that on Olympus cameras you have a 2 times crop factor, so the 40-150 is like an 80-300 on a full frame camera.

80-300 is a rather weak zoom...

140-600 isn't. :-D

• SimplyShaneSimplyShane Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2010
    billythek wrote: »
    It wouldn't have been my choice, but I haven't done a lot of research on the Olympus E-600. What was it that attracted you to this deal? What do you see as the pros and cons?

In my mind, Canon and Nikon are so dominating in the DSLR market, that I wouldn't even consider another brand unless there were an extremely compelling reason. And with the deals you can get with the Canon Loyalty Program (plus some broken P&S picked up on ebay or craigslist cheap), the reasons would have to be extremely compelling.

The Canon Loyalty Program isn't bad. But for lower-end bodies, the savings isn't as much as you'd think.

Furthermore, I guess I just like what Olympus brings to the table. Their bodies have in-camera stabilization and hosts of other valuable features that go beyond gimmicks and marketing. They give you a lot of useful tools for very little cost.

I do worry about their lack of market-share though. It might decrease the resell value of my gear...

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited October 28, 2010
    I think you should stop second-guessing your decision and just get out there and enjoy your new equipment. Remember that it's the person behind the lens that's most important. deal.gif
  • misterbmisterb Banned Posts: 601 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2010
    Just today I bought this:

An Olympus E-600 Refurb with a 14-42 kit and a 40-150 zoom.
    One Kingston 8GB Elite Pro Compact Flash Card
    A Replacement Battery
    A Slinger Bag
    3 Year Extended Warranty with Accidental coverage...

All for $575.75 shipped.

I would look to sell the kit lenses and get a Oly 12mm-60mm SWD.

That lens would be awesome with *any* future Olympus body, and it's rated as "close to perfect" as you can get.

I use Olympus and I've never make a purchase I regretted.
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2010
    I wouldn't call the 40-150 silly
    On those odd occasions I've needed the the extra reach, I've been very pleased with its results.

3024151845_edc06b0ddf_z.jpg

Olympus E-510 + 40-150, 150mm @ f10, 3.2s @ ISO 100. Photo page:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jason_hindle/3024151845/
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,076 moderator
    edited October 28, 2010
    What you have is an excellent starter system and suitable for all sorts of general photography. I would add the Olympus FL-36R (make sure to get the "R" version) to gain some significant wireless off-camera flash advantages. The flash, and a couple of inexpensive DIY flash modifiers, are very useful for indoor and night social events. (Parties, receptions, etc.)

The 70-300mm would be nice for some wildlife but, unless wildlife is a primary use, it can wait till later. The camera's stabilization is also less effective with the 70-300mm at full telephoto so a tripod with a suitable head are probably indicated with that camera and lens. I suggest waiting until all of that is affordable for you.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • billythekbillythek Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2010
    The Canon Loyalty Program isn't bad. But for lower-end bodies, the savings isn't as much as you'd think.

Furthermore, I guess I just like what Olympus brings to the table. Their bodies have in-camera stabilization and hosts of other valuable features that go beyond gimmicks and marketing. They give you a lot of useful tools for very little cost.

I do worry about their lack of market-share though. It might decrease the resell value of my gear...

I did a little more research on the E-600. Looks like you got a fair deal on that kit.

I think the choices of quality lenses, and software support (lens profiles in LR/ACR, RAW converters, etc) could be questionable for Olympus, whereas it would never be an issue for Nikon or Canon.

Still, looks like a decent camera, and small enough to carry around easily. Have fun with it, and post some pictures.
    - Bill
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    I think you should stop second-guessing your decision and just get out there and enjoy your new equipment. Remember that it's the person behind the lens that's most important. deal.gif

15524779-Ti.gif

Just get out there and learn to use it......It is a great camera to start with and Oly has always produced great glass.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website