Options

Oh S*** Moment

Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
edited October 29, 2010 in People
Ok, so I just received a phone call for me to shoot a 25th anniversary party on November 6th. Now.. I dont have a camera at the moment. I sold all of my Nikon gear to switch to Canon and Canon doesn't have a refurbished 5DMKII in stock yet. And my lenses should be arriving within the week.

My dilema is I NEED to shoot this. I need to get in with this client. They're doctors. They have money. I need money. But, I can't shoot it if I dont have a camera.

I dont want to rent a 5DMKII because then most of the money will go to that. I dont know anyone in my town that has a pro dslr either.. and I'm not about to shoot it with a XSI.

I dont want to have to tell them no, but I did let them know that I currently am in the process of switching cameras and that I dont have one at the moment.

ARGH.... what to do.. help? :(
Jer

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 28, 2010
    I need to get in with this client.
    I dont want to rent a 5DMKII because then most of the money will go to that.
    Those two statements are at odds with each other. You need to decide which is more important: making a quick buck from the shoot, or the long term relationship. If it's the latter, then rent. Sometimes you have to take a step backward to move forward.
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2010
    kdog wrote: »
    Those two statements are at odds with each other. You need to decide which is more important: making a quick buck from the shoot, or the long term relationship. If it's the latter, then rent. Sometimes you have to take a step backward to move forward.

exactly what I'm thinking.. If I can't get one in time I will be forced to rent. I just really.. really dont want to.
    Jer
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 28, 2010
    exactly what I'm thinking.. If I can't get one in time I will be forced to rent. I just really.. really dont want to.
    Unless you can borrow one, that seems like the best option. A less scrupulous person would probably buy one with a 2 week return policy from Amazon or B&H, shoot the function with it, then return it. But that's pretty bad.
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2010
    We've all heard the phrase " cameras don't take photographs, people do"....

Your op leads me to think you have access to an XSi?ne_nau.gif

I would think that it is much more advanced than the 20D and 30D cameras that bore the brunt of wedding work just a few short years ago....and may even be on par with the very capable 40D. At least in all respects except frames per second.

Id think that if it were paired with a fast enough lens for the shooting environment....and a flash if needed....it would be suitable for the event.

Why not?ne_nau.gif

There are a lot of very fine photographs circulating in this world that were shot with much, much less camera.
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2010
    jeffreaux2 wrote: »
    We've all heard the phrase " cameras don't take photographs, people do"....

Your op leads me to think you have access to an XSi?ne_nau.gif

Very true.. but the higher end cameras make it much much easier. And are much more reliable. I do have an XSI that a friend owns. I just really dont want to use it.

I have the 135L and 50 1.4 on the way - should be here within a week. I was hoping to have a 5DMKII and a 580EXII before anyone contacted me.. But that probably isn't gonna happen by November 6th unless I overnight everything and waste a lot of money.
    Jer
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2010
    Jeremy, while I don't underestimate the advantages of modern (and good) hardware, in your situation I'd shoot with a darn Rebel 300.
    It's not a high end fashion shoot, it's an event. Quality-wise you'd probably be OK with any decent mid-range digicam, but since "muggles" *love* to see a "big iron" before the can believe in any "photographic magic" (and before they pay), any "rebel"-like thing would do...
    Just IMHO
    Nikolai
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2010
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Jeremy, while I don't underestimate the advantages of modern (and good) hardware, in your situation I'd shoot with a darn Rebel 300.
    It's not a high end fashion shoot, it's an event. Quality-wise you'd probably be OK with any decent mid-range digicam, but since "muggles" *love* to see a "big iron" before the can believe in any "photographic magic" (and before they pay), any "rebel"-like thing would do...
    Just IMHO
    Nikolai

I'm going to.. *pouts*

My friend said I can borrow her camera if I have to. I just bought a 580EXII from someone on POTN so hopefully I'll get that next week and then the XSI wont have to be cranked over ISO 800.. above that the camera is a piece of junk. Which is why I got rid of mine when i had one.

In the meantime.. I get to wait, and call Canon every day to see if the 5DMKII's in stock. rolleyes1.gif
    Jer
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2010
    I rent lenses from Aperturent.com for dollars per day...
    Example:
    70-200VRII = 7 day rental for 129.00....this includes shipping both ways.
    I can't imagine a 5DM2 would cost much more than that.

I trust Oscar at Aperturent for all my rental needs, he has not let me down ever....

I supoose you already dumped the defocus control lens from Nikon?
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2010
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    I rent lenses from Aperturent.com for dollars per day...
    Example:
    70-200VRII = 7 day rental for 129.00....this includes shipping both ways.
    I can't imagine a 5DM2 would cost much more than that.

I trust Oscar at Aperturent for all my rental needs, he has not let me down ever....

I supoose you already dumped the defocus control lens from Nikon?

$250 for a week.. nty. with borrowlenses I can get it for $210 either way I'm not spending that much.

Yeah, I've already sold all my nikon gear. Just waiting for the canon gear to arrive.
    Jer
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2010
    Ah I see...yeah....that's money better spent on gear.

Why the change if I may ask?
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2010
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    Ah I see...yeah....that's money better spent on gear.

Why the change if I may ask?
    • I feel more comfortable with Canon. Often times i caught myself trying to do something on my D700 that was actually a Canon feature.. Not only that, but the ergonomics of their cameras.
    • Also the lens line up. Nikon has some amazing pro glass... its just way out of my price range. Canon has some killer glass right in my budget.
    • The 21MP to print gorgeous 40x60's and be able to look at them an inch away and still not see pixilation (joking, I know the mp doesn't matter 9x/10).
    • HD video. I actually wanted to be a videographer before I fell in love with photography, so I enjoy making videos for personal pleasure or small projects for clients. Like, if I miraculously get the 5DMKII in time for this event I'll probably shoot some short video clips to spice it up for the client. And put them in with the slideshow I'll probably make for them. "shoot to sell" <- live by that phrase
    Jer
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2010
    With a quick look you can get a 5D for $8-900. Might be worth it to you to buy a 5D then sell it after, or keep it as a second body if you can swing it financially.
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2010
    Ok, so I just received a phone call for me to shoot a 25th anniversary party on November 6th. Now.. I dont have a camera at the moment. I sold all of my Nikon gear to switch to Canon and Canon doesn't have a refurbished 5DMKII in stock yet. And my lenses should be arriving within the week.

My dilema is I NEED to shoot this. I need to get in with this client. They're doctors. They have money. I need money. But, I can't shoot it if I dont
    :(

Oh dude, you're screwed. :D Sorry, had to throw in the ol' C & N jab. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2010
    If you are going to use the XSI, I think you need to get some shorter glass. 50mm on an XSI is 80mm on a FF camera. For indoor events I think that's very long.
    As long as you make sure to get decent exposures, I think you can go over 800ISO a bit on the XSI. There will be some noise, true, but remember that your clients will most likely not be as pixelpeeping as most of us and that noise looks a lot less present when printed.
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2010
    • I feel more comfortable with Canon. Often times i caught myself trying to do something on my D700 that was actually a Canon feature.. Not only that, but the ergonomics of their cameras.
    • Also the lens line up. Nikon has some amazing pro glass... its just way out of my price range. Canon has some killer glass right in my budget.
    • The 21MP to print gorgeous 40x60's and be able to look at them an inch away and still not see pixilation (joking, I know the mp doesn't matter 9x/10).
    • HD video. I actually wanted to be a videographer before I fell in love with photography, so I enjoy making videos for personal pleasure or small projects for clients. Like, if I miraculously get the 5DMKII in time for this event I'll probably shoot some short video clips to spice it up for the client. And put them in with the slideshow I'll probably make for them. "shoot to sell" <- live by that phrase

Sounds like you know exactly what you want and that's important.

Fusion's are a great way to supplement your product line for sure.....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2010
    JUST PLACED THE ORDER FOR THE 5DMKII! They just became in stock, so if you want one grab one now! I will have it on Wednesday. Glad that crisis is now over.
    Jer
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2010
    ivar wrote: »
    If you are going to use the XSI, I think you need to get some shorter glass. 50mm on an XSI is 80mm on a FF camera. For indoor events I think that's very long.

My exact thoughts. But thankfully I dont have to worry about that anymore :)
    Jer
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2010
    JUST PLACED THE ORDER FOR THE 5DMKII! They just became in stock, so if you want one grab one now! I will have it on Wednesday. Glad that crisis is now over.
    clap.gifclapclap.gif
    You're gonna love it! deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"