Options

Can I just say...

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited October 31, 2010 in Weddings
Just saw the shots from a friend's wedding. Perfectly competent (more or less) and I'm sure they're thrilled with them but.... they are nothing LIKE the kind of magnificent work one sees here at dgrin!! Seriously - it was hard not to think, "Well yeah - so what?" looking at them.

Plus, y'all have ruined me forever. Unless the shots are the kind of quality I'm used to seeing on a regular basis in here, all I tend to notice are the unfluffed skirts.... questionable choices of backgrounds.... occasional blown higlights .... less-than-creative use of light.... :wink

Not sure whether to thank or hate you all :rofl (Ok, you know the answer to that, which is that I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE lurking in the wedding forum - you'll never get me shooting one, but you guys inspire me daily!! :lust:lust:lust:lust:lust)

Comments

• Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2010
    I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN Diva!
    I had a friend's wedding a couple of months ago and she wanted my opinion of her photos--THe photographer is a pro, she has a nice website, but the photos were just awful--so many tilted (soooooo many) the processing looked like a horrible one stop preset with her dress blown out in pretty much every shot. I had to bite my tongue. She wanted me to slog through the 1300 photos of the day! I couldn't believe she got that many to look at and choose from--from the worst to the best.
    I have high expectations just from lurking here so much.
    I am ruined forever too :
    She was the happiest bride I've ever seen and I wanted her to be happy with her photos which were not cheap, but damn!
    I kept my mouth shut and told her she was a beautiful bride.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2010
    I'm with you Diva!! I love to lurk in this forum. The work is top notch and the advice thoughtful and comprehensive. I learn so much!!

Not enough to want to shoot a wedding, mind you. rolleyes1.gif

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2010
    I'll add another +1 to this thread. The work posted here is fabulous, and I love to lurk here, as much for the photos as the discussions about the ins and outs of the biz. I find much of it fascinating, even to someone totally out of the business (not even aspiring).
    Flyinggina wrote: »
    Not enough to want to shoot a wedding, mind you. rolleyes1.gif

Virginia

To this comment, I would say to the contrary, reading in this forum has taught me more than enough to know that I definitely DON'T want to shoot a wedding! :D
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    krauzianimagekrauzianimage Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited October 28, 2010
    Weddings are a tricky business because you are not hired by the results that you produce but the results that you can make the client THINK you will produce. A lot of bad photographers have gotten by fine on a flashy website and personal charm, but no real talent. That's why I have chosen to go with a borring website and no charm. http://krauzianimage.com
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    ...Plus, y'all have ruined me forever...
    It's such a curse, isn't it? I have such impossibly high personal standards that I never think my work is as good as it can be, and any time I see another photographer's work that is just slightly more boring than my own, I immediately lose interest. Honestly I'd have to say that on average, I usually leave other photographer's websites within 2-3 images.

On the one hand, I wish I could get back to enjoying less-than-perfect images. But on the other hand, would I forsake the determination I've gained over the years, that have helped me delete chunks of my portfolio because I know I can do better? I guess I'm happy the way things are...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum