Options

Ansel Adams: Street Photographer (?)

AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
edited November 3, 2010 in The Big Picture

Comments

• Options
    vintagemxrvintagemxr Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2010
    Another relatively little known effort by Adams was his work on the book "Born Free and Equal: The Story of Loyal Japanese Americans".

The book dealt with the interment of Japanese Americans in the Manzanar Relocation Center during WWII. Adams was passionate about the project and incensed at what the US Government was doing to it's own citizens.

Doug

"A photograph is usually looked at – seldom looked into." - Ansel Adams
    My B&W Photos
    Motorcycles in B&W
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited October 29, 2010
    Interesting. Thanks for the links. thumb.gif
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited October 29, 2010
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited November 1, 2010
    vintagemxr wrote: »
    The book dealt with the interment of Japanese Americans in the Manzanar Relocation Center during WWII. Adams was passionate about the project and incensed at what the US Government was doing to it's own citizens.

He also worked with several other photographers on a book called Elusive Truth: Four Photographers at Manzanar. In addition to Ansel Adams, Clem Albers, Dorothea Lange and Toyo Miyatake worked on the book.

What's most interesting is that Toyo Miyatake was interred at Manzanar. His camera was one he built using a lens smuggled into the camp and a wooden body that he built himself. He and Adams collaborated on a book in the late 1970's called Two Views of Manzanar which I think is out of print now.

If you've never been to Manzanar, I'd recommend a visit. It's a place you won't soon forget.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,848 moderator
    edited November 1, 2010
    For a perspective on Manzanar there is this on-line reference, which includes 91 images (near the bottom of the page) with accreditations to Ansel Adams, Clem Albers, Dorothea Lange and Toyo Miyatake:

http://www.nps.gov/history/history/online_books/manz/hrst.htm
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,848 moderator
    edited November 1, 2010
    Thanks to Angelo and all that have posted. We should forgive but we must never forget.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Thanks to Angelo and all that have posted. We should forgive but we must never forget.

On my last visit, I met a gentleman who was two years old when he was interred. We spoke for about 30 minutes and one of the most profound things he said was "We were given lemons. We made lemonade." in reference to their internment. Now you have to understand that not all felt the same way he did but the vast majority did make it more of an opportunity. And he added that when President Regan apologized on behalf of the United States, he felt this chapter of his life could come to a close.
  • Options
    vintagemxrvintagemxr Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2010
    I visited Manzanar in the early '70s and a couple of times since. About 1971 I was riding past on my motorcycle, saw the entrance pagoda guard house, and wondered what it was all about. I stopped and read the bronze plaque and realized that it was the place where our old neighbor, Mr. Fujikawa and his wife, had been. I spent an hour wandering around, not much to see then, even less than now, but in some places you could find concrete inscribed with the names of the crew that poured it. Even at a relatively young and ignorant age I was moved by the place.

Doug
    "A photograph is usually looked at – seldom looked into." - Ansel Adams
    My B&W Photos
    Motorcycles in B&W
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2010
    It's a place of many stories.

Over the last year or so, they've constructed a few replicas of the "apartments" albeit with some modern conveniences like electricity and data ports, smoke detectors and handicapped access. Even so, when you walk inside, it's stark. You can see where the baseball diamond was--the bases have been replaced and the field cleaned up--it's still dirt but you get the idea. The Pleasure Park looks look as if it'll be re-furbed at some point as well.

You can find a few pictures here.

Each time I've gone, I've felt a sort of attachment to the place. I'm not sure why either and I'd still like to go back.
  • Options
    dbddbd Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2010
    ian408 wrote: »
    It's a place of many stories.

You can find a few pictures here.

Adams donated his Manzanar collection to the Library of Congress.

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/collections/anseladams/

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/collections/anseladams/aamabout.html

Dale B. Dalrymple
    "Give me a lens long enough and a place to stand and I can image the earth."
    ...with apology to Archimedies