Options

Yearbook photos

gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
edited August 17, 2005 in Mind Your Own Business
Has anyone ever shot for a yearbook? I have been asked to do this and I'm not sure what to expect. I am still pretty new to photography but I think this would be a great learning experience. It is a small elementary school, less than 150 kids (don't have exact size). Nothing has really been discussed yet but I wanted to see if anyone else had experience with this. At this point it looks like it would just be portraits of the kids.

Am I getting in over my head?
What equipment would I need?
How long would it take (estimate I know i haven't supplied much info yet)
What woud I charge?

Any info would be very appreciated.

Nick
Nick
SmugMug Technical Account Manager
Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
nickwphoto

Comments

• Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2005
    I've never done this, so I am only giving an example of my experience - you really need to get a lot more info from the school as to their expectations.

At my kids schools the portraits are done every fall by a company like Jostens. The year book pages are then layed out by volunteers, using the portraits and a bunch of candids contributed by teachers, moms etc. the pasted up pages are then sent off to Jostens and the yearbook produced.

If in fact they are asking you to do the portraits, you need to be sure you have the right equipment to do so - a reliable camera, lights and backdrop and the know how of how to use it. I can take an individual sports photo (portrait) in about 45 seconds, if the kids are well instructed ahead of time re: posing. So for 150 kids I'd say you would have a busy, noisy mornings work.

I hope this is helpful, even if it is conjecture.

ann
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2005
    Thanks for the info Ann. As for equipment I have a 20D, good tripod, and one 580EX. I was thinking I could possibly rent lights and a backdrop. As for a lens I will possibly be getting a canon 50mm f/1.4 in the near future, so I would probably be using that.

They just kinda threw this out to me, they don't have a very big budget so that is the main reason for looking towards me. Hopefully I'll get some more info soon so you and I both will have a better ungerstanding of what I am being asked to do.

Nick
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2005
    If it is a traditional school photo kinda thing you will need.

Lights (1 main (prolly with a umbrella or softbox), 1 background) should work.
    Good camera and lense
    Backdrop (a selection is usually good white, blue, black, red, etc)
    Gels are usually good.
    A Stool (sp?) or chair.
    step stool for the shorter kids
    something to entertain the kids who don't like you
    Assistants are great when doing this kinda thing
    Cheap pocket combs for kids who don't have their own and haven't combed their hair.
    Ativan, Xanax, or Other tranqualizer for you
    It's pretty much an easy assignment that hopefully wouldn't average out to being there longer than 10 minutes per kid (should take less time than that but plan for the worst, hope for the best). As long as they have them lined up like and ready to move em in and out.

I might be forgetting something but I don't think so. You may want to consider shooting tethered to a laptop and viewing the photos large as yoru taking them to try and cut down on need for retakes of missed photos.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2005
    I have done this sort of thing for a dance studio rather than a school.

I would take:

2 lights... 1 Main with a reflective umbrella, 1 fill with a softbox. I use Alien Bees

1 Backdrop. neutral grey or a neutral earth tone. Many yearbooks specify grey.

1 adjustable stool or small chair with no back

Some assembley to hang the backdrop. I use two sturdy light stands with a lightweight metal pipe across the top, then I clip it on using the large binder clip type paper clips

Disposable combs is a good idea. An assistant is a must to keep a shooting order list to corespond to your images on card and to prep the kids, give them instructions etc. This can be done while you are shooting the kid before.

Request the yearbook print requirments ahead of time. Ussually there is a size requirement including image dimensions as well as head size. dont make the mistake of shooting too tight. It is far easier to crop the image to the requirements if you have some extra image to work with. If you get in too tight you may not be able to achieve the required width (trust me on this).

Are you allowed to sell print packages to the families of the kids? This is where the money is!

I charged the dance studio nothing for the shoot. I gave them a free 8 x 10 of the three group shots I did and I made them a collage 30 x 40 print including a small shot of each dancer.

30101717-M.jpg

I brought in $1,800.00 from this 4 hour shoot. I had roughly $400.00 worth of expenses, and paid my assistant ($100.00. is pretty good pay for 4 hours work). It can be a very worthwhile project. I am looking for more clients like this and already have a commitment to do the studios next recital.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2005
    Thanks Gary and Brian for the great info. This really helps a lot.

Nick
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2005
    Brian, what kind of print packages did you sell to the families? Where there different poses or just packages of the same pose, but different size prints?

Thanks again
    Nick
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2005
    gluwater wrote:
    Brian, what kind of print packages did you sell to the families? Where there different poses or just packages of the same pose, but different size prints?

Thanks again
    Nick

Just different print sizes. I picked the best pose from the few shots of each kid and thats what they got.

I charged:
    (11 x 14) $20
    (8 x 10) $15
    (5 x 7) x 2 $15
    (4 x 6) x 3 $10
    Wallets x4 $5

No one complained about the prices and they all brought the order forms with the check to the shoot.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2005
    Uhhh..........yeah I was misinformed
    about the volume here. This is for a church directory, not a school yearbook. there could potentially be 1000 people shot over a series of days. It would be families posing together and then possibly individually as well. So Greaper ya wanna drive to Chicago?icon10.gif

I would also be putting together the directory, which is basically what I have been doing for the last 5 years of my life so that part is fine.

If I decide to do this I think I will go with Greapers idea of not charging for the shoot and just charging for prints. I am estimating 250 families, at the minimum of 1 8x10 per family, that's still close to $4,000. Now that is very tempting. I am trying to put together a proposal for a parish meeting on Monday.

Any further suggestions anyone might have are greatly appreciated.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2005
    Glu if greaper doesn't say yes, or you want a third shooter I will drive to chicago for it. And I can bring my own lights.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com