Options

Map address not found in smugmug, but ok in Google

mbradymbrady Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
edited August 17, 2005 in SmugMug Support
So I'm playing around with the new photo geography stuff and ran into something odd with the Google maps that smugmug is using. If I try to attache this address to a photo: 15701 Volcano-Pioneer Road, Volcano, California, 95689
It says that the address is not found. However, if I just go to maps.google.com and do the exact same search, it finds it without problem. Since smugmug uses Google maps, shouldn't it be the same search result? Weird!

UPDATE:
I just realized that when I use regular google maps, it decides that the address is actually in Pine Grove, CA instead of Volcano, CA. The actual map location does appear to be correct. Apparantly the interface to google maps that smugmug uses needs that exact match, which makes sense. I was just thrown off by the "auto fix" that maps.google.com did. Although technically it's wrong. It's a Volcano, CA address, but that's an issue for Google, not smugmug.

FURTHER UPDATE:
So now when I take to "revised" address that maps.google.com produces (15701 Volcano Pioneer Rd, Pine Grove, CA 95665) and plop that into smugmug's address search, it's still not found. So that pretty much leaves me back at my original observation, just with a different address.

Matt

Comments

• Options
    winnjewettwinnjewett Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2005
    I don't have a solution for you, but here are the coordinates:

Latitude:
    Longitude:

-Winn
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited August 17, 2005
    We don't use Google's address lookup function because they don't provide it through their API. We'd love to use it because it's better than anyone else's, but maybe that's why Google keeps it to themselves, I dunno.
  • Options
    garyjwoodgaryjwood Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    We don't use Google's address lookup function because they don't provide it through their API. We'd love to use it because it's better than anyone else's, but maybe that's why Google keeps it to themselves, I dunno.
    Just out of curiousity, whose geocoder are you using?
    - Gary
    Galleries: http://garyjwood.smugmug.com
    Photo of the Day: http://blog.garyjwood.com
    Location-enabled and interactive!