Options

Proof Delay Not for Everybody or Situation

RocCityPhotoRocCityPhoto Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited November 2, 2010 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I understand proof delay for event photographers, portrait photographers, etc.

When you're selling photos to just any photo browser looking for a print for their home or office, proof delay may not be the best option. When selling prints, I want my best photos on display.

If I put an uncropped, or a photo that hasn't gone through a post process, why would anyone stop and buy it? Sure, I can explain that it's a proof, but that may not cut it for most buyers. So I put my best photos on display.

Now comes the problem of making your photos fit most print sizes without altering the original photo. During post process, I can crop and upload a photo for each print size. Maybe confusing for a potential buyer and a lot of work for me.

Personally, I think people would much rather purchase a framed photo from a vendor or retail store. Why? It's framed, they like it, and all they have to do is hang it on the wall. As opposed to seeing a photo online, making a print, purchasing a frame, mounting it, and then they get to hang it on the wall.

So, am I crazy or am I missing something?

~Paul
Paul W Miller
RochesterCityPhoto

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2010
    Proof delay is great for ALL orders. Even perfectly adjusted photos. It gives you a chance to see everything BEFORE it goes to the lab, and notify us if there's a problem or something you want changed. We're also going to be adding more goodies into the proof delay page. Stay tuned for something sexy this coming week :)

You can also use Personal Delivery - and have the items come to you - for framing, matting, signing, more.

Finally, there are framed and mounted options in our catalog - check them out :Dhttp://www.smugmug.com/prints/catalog/ABP

And, more to come!
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2010
    Andy - Instead of replying with a SmugMug commercial, please understand my view of who and what proof delay is.

The way I understand proof delay is that, your final product is not on display. If I'm selling landscape or wildlife photography, I better make damn sure my best and final product is on display, other wise, the consumer may pass on the purchase. Sure, if I discover something I missed in post process, I proof delay enables me time to fix the photo. Maybe it's just me, but I don't usually find errors until the photo is on paper. But that's just me.

A perfect use for proof delay in my opinion, is portrait photography. I shoot a bunch of photos of an individual in various poses, maybe do a quick post process, and upload. The client goes on-line and says, I like this one, that one and the other. Now you have x amount of days to review those photos for final print.

For me, I take photos of penguins marching across an iceberg in Alaska. It's a beautiful shot and I know it will sell. I'm going make sure it's perfect, first it's going on my wall and second, people are giving me money for the print.

Here's a better analogy. I'm selling a car. I display the car in my front yard with the for sale on it. It's shining cause I put a lot of work into making it shine. Because it's shining, people are going to stop for a closer look. As opposed to, putting my dirty car out on display with a few scratches, etc. and telling the customer, I'll clean it up for you before you pick it up.

That's the only point I'm making.

Sorry for any confusion on my part.
    ~paul
    Paul W Miller
    RochesterCityPhoto
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2010
    Oh, sorry - no commercial intended - just trying to stress the importance of proof delay for any type of order. Also to make sure you knew we had framed & mounted options available.

Your analogy is a fine one - but not the only use :)
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2010
    I only post edited pictures too. But I still use proof delay because it's there "just in case." Sometimes customers really screw up cropping. Or they order a size that doesn't fit well with the cropped version I posted. I can replace it with a better crop. Unfortunately smugmug replaces the image everywhere on the site and doesn't allow me to replace the image just for that order. A big mistake in my opinion.

Use proof delay. There's no excuse not to. It's your only chance to do a final check of your work and your customer's cropping before the print is made.

Dave
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2010
    pilotdave wrote: »
    I only post edited pictures too. But I still use proof delay because it's there "just in case." Sometimes customers really screw up cropping. Or they order a size that doesn't fit well with the cropped version I posted. I can replace it with a better crop. Unfortunately smugmug replaces the image everywhere on the site and doesn't allow me to replace the image just for that order. A big mistake in my opinion.

Use proof delay. There's no excuse not to. It's your only chance to do a final check of your work and your customer's cropping before the print is made.

Dave
    pilotdave - Proof delay is a great feature and I certainly wasn't suggesting not to use it or for Smugmug to remove it. I think it has its place and purpose.

Why on earth would you change the customer's crop? The customer cropped the image the way they like it, and you're going to change it? The customer gets the print and says, "wait, that's not the way I cropped the photo." I want my money back. :uhoh

At least that's the scenario I would predict happening if I did changed a customer's crop.
    Paul W Miller
    RochesterCityPhoto
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2010
    pilotdave - Proof delay is a great feature and I certainly wasn't suggesting not to use it or for Smugmug to remove it. I think it has its place and purpose.

Why on earth would you change the customer's crop? The customer cropped the image the way they like it, and you're going to change it? The customer gets the print and says, "wait, that's not the way I cropped the photo." I want my money back. :uhoh

At least that's the scenario I would predict happening if I did changed a customer's crop.

Customers can be known to crop improperly, or leave a default crop on that is not good. Pros can fix either in Proof Delay thumb.gif
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2010

When customers order a print size that doesn't match the image aspect ratio, the image must be cropped. From the print's I've seen go through my site, 90+% of the images are just left on the default crop, it's never even touched. That sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Most customers I've seen don't even touch the crop. It's a great idea to make sure the crop makes sense before letting the order print.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2010

I almost never touch anything. But a few times I've noticed people buying 8x10s when I posted the picture in 2:3 aspect ratio. Most people don't adjust the crop, which may end up looking a little awkward. Proof delay lets me either move the crop a little (in case anything important was cut off) or replace the image with a looser-cropped version that will work better for an 8x10.

Of course things will be different for different users... your customers might be extremely picky about their crops. But in my experience, most people either miss the option to change crop, ignore it, or don't care. My job is to provide the best print, so I'll adjust crops as I think is necessary.

Dave