Options

Proper dress for wedding photographer

roccorocco Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited November 2, 2010 in Weddings
Just wondering what the men wear for a church wedding? It is in PA. temp around 40 degrees.

Comments

• Options
    CrystalBelleCrystalBelle Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited November 2, 2010
    Dress like you are attending the wedding as a guest. If it is formal, dress formal. I try to blend in with the guests. I decided to wear pants (I'm a female) as to not flash anyone my goods if I have to kneel down. :)
    I would think a nice pair of slacks, button up shirt, and a tie for a wedding is the way to go.
  • Options
    DC-PhotogDC-Photog Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited November 2, 2010
    All Black.

Black Dress Shirt
    Black Slacks
    Black Socks
    Black Shoes (Ecco rocks! I buy one new pair every year.)

I've never worn a coat or tie to the 400+ weddings I've photographed.

Black North Face jacket for cold-weather outdoor shooting (when the bride is willing to freeze, I stay toasty). I have a pair of the new style of construction gloves from Home Depot. They are thin and form fitting with rubber on the fingers for $9. They are black, of course. Much cheaper than REI outdoors stuff.
  • Options
    l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2010
    DC-Photog wrote: »
    All Black.

Black Dress Shirt
    Black Slacks
    Black Socks

Black North Face jacket for cold-weather outdoor shooting (when the bride is willing to freeze, I stay toasty). I have a pair of the new style of construction gloves from Home Depot. They are thin and form fitting with rubber on the fingers for $9. They are black, of course. Much cheaper than REI outdoors stuff.

I disagree. You don't need *all* black, but dark colors are a must. Nothing like wearing a red shirt to get home and realize that every thing you shot standing within 2 ft of it has a red tint to it that regardless of the amount of PP, it will NOT come out.

Comfort, comfort, comfort - It's worth splurging the expense for comfortable leather shoes (Borns are AMAZING for both guys and gals).

I have a wedding in a few weeks and I plan on wearing silver pants (not really sparkly, but they're a hard color to describe, almost a dressy denim color) and a dark purple sweater. We won't know what the weather will be like until the day before (I'm not kidding) so I'll plan on adding a sweater if I need to.

My husband's my second and he's wearing a button up shirt, dress slacks and very likely a dressy, dark colored tie with leather shoes.

But yes, wear what you would wear if you were a guest. You have a *little* bit of lee-way with comfort because you're going to be doing a LOT more physical activity than any other guest there, but don't be mistaken for "Uncle Bob" with his digital camera, either.

Look pro, act pro and people will respect you.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2010
    I liked my outfit from my wedding on Sat. :)

Argyle over a white dress shirt with a tie, black or dark silver pants with chucks!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    CrystalBelleCrystalBelle Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited November 2, 2010
    I would also dress in layers, because I was burning up one minute and then freezing the next depending on what was going on.
  • Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2010
    And have back up clothing and shoes for those "just in case" moments!

PS. It really depends on you. Some people prefer to dress all in black in button down shirts and slacks; others prefer to dress like a guest; yet others prefer to wear comfy dark clothing. I've even seen some who like to make a statement by wearing retro shoes and super trendy clothes. So I guess just ask yourself what image you're trying to project, how you want to be perceived, and your comfort level.
  • Options
    Kevin CTMPKevin CTMP Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited November 2, 2010
    I too usually dress in mostly black, dress pants, shirt, shoes, and a black/silver tie.....I'll also sometimes wear tan pants with a black shirt or a gray shirt with black pants....anything that is neutral and darker to keep a low profile.....i also NEVER wear a jacket, it's just hinders my moving too much and seems to get in the way, especially when crouching and trying to carry 2 cameras at once.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2010
    I don't do weddings but I would expect you to wear a suit and tie to my wedding if you were photographing it. I wouldn't expect you to have the jacket on all the time but I would expect you to at least have one.

I have a rule... no matter where I'm going, I always opt for being overdressed rather than under-dressed. I don't ever recall hearing people complain about a dude being overdressed but I have heard countless complaints about the douche wearing flip-flops and jeans at a semi-formal wedding.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2010

I have a rule... no matter where I'm going, I always opt for being overdressed rather than under-dressed.QUOTE]

+1 15524779-Ti.gif

If you wear a jacket and tie, or a tux, you can always take stuff off. But if you're underdressed to start with shame on you.

It's about respect. You show respect by dressing up. You GET respect by being at least as well dressed as the people you're interacting with.

I cannot imagine shooting ANY event for which I'm being paid without asking the person paying me how they expect me to dress.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2010
    That is the question that causes most arguments.
    Every photographer tells me different story on that..

Look at Glen johnson - shirt and jeans, or shirt and slacks..
    but overall, i've seen photogs going from all out tux dress down to shorts and slippers..
    its all about your style, imho.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2010
    DC-Photog wrote: »
    All Black.

Black Dress Shirt
    Black Slacks
    Black Socks

Black "Dri-fit" shirt by Nike. I'm sure Under Armour has a version too.

Black slacks.

Black shoes.

I've only been to one wedding where something was said to me and that was the wedding planner. The B & G both knew I would be wearing this to the wedding because I told them so at the consult.

The reason why I just do a shirt and slacks? Because it's easier to move around and access the camera. Plus the black blends in, especially at the reception. The guests don't see you. I've often had the comment, "I can't believe you got a shot of ..... I never saw you."
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2010
    Last weekend everyone thought I looked like either (1) a ninja or (2) a swat team member.

But I break all of these rules. Sometimes I wear black, sometimes brown, sometimes a red shirt (seriously). I like to wear nice & stylish clothes and don't pay too much attention to the colors. To me it's important to look nice and be comfortable - however you get there is up to you.

And for god's sake don't wear a tux.
  • Options
    mdruizmdruiz Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited November 2, 2010
    I couldn't image shooting a wedding in a suit...remember guys..most weddings you are with the bridal party for at least 9 hrs. Running around...getting on the floor, climbing on chairs, doing what ever you need to do to get that shot. Most of all sweating, and on top of all that probable carrying at least 5 lbs of camera equipment with u. I shoot weddings business casual,usually all black.
  • Options
    roccorocco Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited November 2, 2010
    Thank you all for your input. Looks like I will wear black pants, black pin strip shirt with a grey silk tie. Not sure about a jacket yet. May do a black fleece vest, it has been pretty cold up there. I have lived in Fl. for 25 yrs.
    Thanks again!