Options

What profit to set?

bobbykbobbyk Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
edited November 3, 2010 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I am just now setting up my pro-site. I have been selling on microstock sites for the past 2 years earning $.25 to $28 per image sold (depending on rights). I have no experience with selling prints.

That is my only photo sales experience

What is a good starting profit to set for my images. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    chicagophotoshopchicagophotoshop Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2010
    I do 100% over smug's prices. I think its fair (and easy to do)
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,251 moderator
    edited November 3, 2010
    I do 100% over smug's prices. I think its fair (and easy to do)
    That seems pretty low to me. For some products that seems fair, but for many it seems very low.

Might be better to compare prices from other photographers before deciding that a simple 100% markup is the right thing to do.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2010
    That seems pretty low to me. For some products that seems fair, but for many it seems very low.

Might be better to compare prices from other photographers before deciding that a simple 100% markup is the right thing to do.

--- Denise

I never said I was the authority on what pricing should be. of course he/she should compare others. 100% works for me though.

maybe you should offer your own advice instead of criticizing mine?
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,251 moderator
    edited November 3, 2010
    I never said I was the authority on what pricing should be. of course he/she should compare others. 100% works for me though.

maybe you should offer your own advice instead of criticizing mine?
    Sorry, I didn't mean that to come across as criticizing you. I quoted your recommendation but was trying to tell the OP that I thought 100% was low. Obviously I didn't do that well, and I apologize to you.

100% markup on the smaller size prints seems quite low to me, especially when I look at small print sizes. For example, an 8x10 glossy on EZPrints is $1.99. Doubling that means that the photog is getting under two dollars of profit for taking and editing the photo.

Depending on the type of photography the OP is focusing on, it may be worth looking at prices set by other photographers in his or her own area.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2010
    fair enough. I agree with you for the most part.