Options

vineyard engagement | different lighting experience

marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
edited November 4, 2010 in Weddings
It's kind of different this time. I actually got to second shoot an engagement lol. Kind of tricky because while I'm setting up lights or helping set up lights for the main, I'm thinking about how I'm going to set up my lights too. It's really fun being able to tag team the session, but really kept me on my toes since I'm also assisting at times.

As usual, here's the link because I don't have permission to use the images outside of my blog.

CC appreciated (only a handful of photos hehe), and thanks so much!

PS. Things I need to work on:

1) I don't really have much time with the clients, so more dynamic compositions pretty much escape me. I find one thing that works, then I run it to ground till the next setting -_-
2) Better posing. Again my mind kind of blanks out with all the stuff going on lol. I should carry around a posing guide. I hate getting home and then realizing I didn't use the poses I wanted to at all.
3) Figure out where the modeling light button is for the Quadras. Honestly, what a pain the butt.
4) As soon as I get Goo Be Gone from the mail, I am putting some serious elbow grease on my LCD. The screen protector left gunkage when I tried to change it. It's cool that i can rely on the histogram, not so cool when I can barely see the composition. (Also not cool: when the clients say, "oh can I see the photos?" during the session.)

Comments

• Options
    gerry2153gerry2153 Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited November 2, 2010
    Very nice shots I like them a lot -
    the one where they are making the heart, and the hug, look a touch hot (at least on my monitor at work) for my taste- but overall I think they are very good - my fav is probably the last one - very nice
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2010
    Thanks, gerry. The hugging photo doesn't look hot on my monitor (though would love to get that verified by others) but I toned down the finger-heart photo. It had been giving me problems earlier and I couldn't put my finger on it.

Also, there are unfortunate instances of flare in both that is definitely not helping lol.
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2010
    O-h m-y G-o-d! Love the look you are going with, the light setup is top notch! Looks more like a magazine type shoot, would not be anything I'd do as I move & jump around much and would never have the time nor nerves to set up anything like this. Having said this, girl these shots are awesome and I envy you for having them in your portfolio. Way to go & learn!!!
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2010
    WOW... great shots. Love the lighting and the setting.

BTW, that guy way over-married. Good for him.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2010
    Agniezska > Thank you! In fact, I started setting up my triflash for the main photographer to use, but what a pain in the butt that was! They wouldn't pop. My plan had been to set that up for the main, and while she was shooting, I'd go set up my quadras elsewhere.

The venue was late opening it up for the couple so 9AM turned to 10:30AM real quickly, and the sun just blasted down on us. Thank goodness I had the pack. I whipped it out, metered the exposure and done. The other photographer had been shooting the couple elsewhere (thank goodness, or her clients would have been melting) while I was quietly swearing at the triflash lol.

I really can't wait to see her images. She's so good and I'm learning so much just observing her. In the cellar, I set up the quadra for main and a speedlite for backlighting, while she used a snooted speedlite for drama. I love being able to experiment in these gorgeous settings.

anonymouscuban > Thanks! In fact, everyone who saw the two being photographed kept remarking on how good looking a couple they are. Not to mention that the bride to be is so photogenic, it's just impossible to take a bad photo!
  • Options
    mpauliempaulie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2010
    BTW, that guy way over-married. Good for him.

Laughing.gif! Awesome lighting in these, gives me a cool magazine feel and the ones inside look like a fashion ad. Really Great!clap.gif
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2010
    Very nice set! How many lights did you use? What was the basic lighting set up?
    Thanks,
    John
  • Options
    p27rpyp27rpy Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2010
    great lighting! love the crisp look and saturated colors. however, i would remove the light stand in the last photo as it is a bit distracting. Maybe also that green wire above her head in the second to last shot, too.

keep em coming!
  • Options
    FstoplifeFstoplife Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2010
    Love these!! They look amazing!!
    Flickr My, not quite there yet, website

~This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.~
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2010
    THanks, guys!

FlyNavy > Outside shots (about 10:30AM to noon-ish): one Quadra light in an Elinchrom octa on full power (400ws); inside shots: same light as outside but added a speedlite for back lighting.

p27rpy > Good eye, thank you. I can clone those out.
  • Options
    MoxMox Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2010
    Beautiful! I've really enjoyed watching your style develop (with an envious eye)! :)
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2010
    Thank you, Mox! I appreciate the encouragement :)
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2010
    I really like the lighting and poses. Good work. I think you got something going on here. And, you are right, isn't it nice when you have photogenic clients. I look forward to seeing more of your work.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2010
    Lighting on one and 2 are amazing! Love her expression on 1, his is his but could use a different direction (probably him looking at her instead of looking away looking perturbed)

3 is a great candid moment, I dont care for 4 or 5(cheese)

6 rocks!

7 I wish she was looking at him, or possibly her looking at him and him looking at you (it reminds me of a scene from "Ed TV" and a scene with Elizabeth Hurley)

Their so good though! I wouldnt have said anything negative about these unless someone was so specific about a critique....

The lighting is supurb! Great work!