Options

Second Wedding

FstoplifeFstoplife Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
edited November 4, 2010 in Weddings
I am shooting my second wedding by myself. It's a small affair, well the part I will be shooting is. I am only shooting the ceremony and her getting ready, as I am also a guest in the wedding. It's for a friend and I know everything everybody says, but she already got married...in Paris (so jealous)...this is just a reception basically for her American family here. She is the total opposite of Bridezilla and we spoke about the photos and she said basically if I don't take the pics, she's not going to even have them taken, cause it's not something that she is really stressed about, she asked because she knows I am trying to build my portfolio, and she does love what I have done.

So it should be easy, and I already have one under my belt. That being said, I am thinking of renting lenses for it. I only have 50mm, 1.8, I have an 18-55, 70-300, but that is like a 3.5 ( terrible I know), so I am thinking of getting the 24-70, 2.8. Would you wedding photogs agree that is the lens to go with, or do I do the 70-300, or do I do both. I am charging her, because we agreed I am not doing it as a favor, and we want to keep it professional, I am going to roll the cost of the rental into the price. Are those two the best, or should I get primes? I love primes and I hear the 24-70 is really heavy. I have the Nikon D80, and I will have a backup body, nikon, just not sure which one yet :) Thoughts? I am not looking for anyone to say don't do it, I've done weddings, it's not my fav, but I've done it. This is more of a bridal portrait type thing. I am going to rock it!

TIA
Flickr My, not quite there yet, website

~This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.~

Comments

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2010
    Fstoplife wrote: »
    I am shooting my second wedding by myself. It's a small affair, well the part I will be shooting is. I am only shooting the ceremony and her getting ready, as I am also a guest in the wedding. It's for a friend and I know everything everybody says, but she already got married...in Paris (so jealous)...this is just a reception basically for her American family here. She is the total opposite of Bridezilla and we spoke about the photos and she said basically if I don't take the pics, she's not going to even have them taken, cause it's not something that she is really stressed about, she asked because she knows I am trying to build my portfolio, and she does love what I have done.

So it should be easy, and I already have one under my belt. That being said, I am thinking of renting lenses for it. I only have 50mm, 1.8, I have an 18-55, 70-300, but that is like a 3.5 ( terrible I know), so I am thinking of getting the 24-70, 2.8. Would you wedding photogs agree that is the lens to go with, or do I do the 70-300, or do I do both. I am charging her, because we agreed I am not doing it as a favor, and we want to keep it professional, I am going to roll the cost of the rental into the price. Are those two the best, or should I get primes? I love primes and I hear the 24-70 is really heavy. I have the Nikon D80, and I will have a backup body, nikon, just not sure which one yet :) Thoughts? I am not looking for anyone to say don't do it, I've done weddings, it's not my fav, but I've done it. This is more of a bridal portrait type thing. I am going to rock it!

TIA
    If you'd like to practice bridal portraits or something, then I cannot recommend renting an 85 1.4 highly enough. If you can it would also be awesome to rent a D700, but if you're not yet familiar with Nikon's pro level controls, that would be a step backwards in comfort. At the very least, get an 85 1.4 to rent, and rock some wide-open portraits / candids. I use this lens all the time on my D300 for both mid-length portraits, and medium-close candids. Such an amazing lens! (Either one, the old AFD version of the new AFS version although I doubt the new version is up for rental just yet.) You could also rent the 85 1.8 instead, but hey the difference in the rental cost is probably like $5 if you're renting locally, so why not splurge?

Either that or, if you're doing fewer portraits and more event photojournalism, I cannot recommend the Sigma 50-150 2.8 highly enough. It's got the HSM silent & accurate autofocusing, it's sharp as a tack, and rugged enough to have lasted a guy like ME 4+ years... That says a lot!

I definitely won't try and talk you out of this one, it sounds like a great situation to practice and get some great images. So good luck!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    FstoplifeFstoplife Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2010
    That D700 is on my wish list, If anything I would rent it way before the wedding, to get to know it, take it to the park, the beach, maybe some dinner....

See I think I am going to do a little of both some journalistic type things, plus the portraits. I really love primes, but I also love the ease of a zoom...I guess I'll rent a little of each before the event and see what really works best for me. I am hoping to have the 35mm before the wedding, maybe the 85, if I have those two, any others I should def get or will the three primes suffice?
    Flickr My, not quite there yet, website

~This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.~
  • Options
    mpauliempaulie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2010
    The new 85 1.4 is up for rent at lensrentals.com I just sent it back,:cry awesome lens.
  • Options
    krauzianimagekrauzianimage Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited November 4, 2010
    FSTOP, I lik you're tag at the botom http://www.krauzianimage.com
  • Options
    BuddyLeeBuddyLee Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited November 4, 2010
    I wonder how the Sigma 85 1.4 is going to perform.

If you'd like to practice bridal portraits or something, then I cannot recommend renting an 85 1.4 highly enough. If you can it would also be awesome to rent a D700, but if you're not yet familiar with Nikon's pro level controls, that would be a step backwards in comfort. At the very least, get an 85 1.4 to rent, and rock some wide-open portraits / candids. I use this lens all the time on my D300 for both mid-length portraits, and medium-close candids. Such an amazing lens! (Either one, the old AFD version of the new AFS version although I doubt the new version is up for rental just yet.) You could also rent the 85 1.8 instead, but hey the difference in the rental cost is probably like $5 if you're renting locally, so why not splurge?

Either that or, if you're doing fewer portraits and more event photojournalism, I cannot recommend the Sigma 50-150 2.8 highly enough. It's got the HSM silent & accurate autofocusing, it's sharp as a tack, and rugged enough to have lasted a guy like ME 4+ years... That says a lot!

I definitely won't try and talk you out of this one, it sounds like a great situation to practice and get some great images. So good luck!

=Matt=