Options

Anybody here tried a Canon SX130 yet?

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited November 17, 2010 in Cameras
I've wanted to upgrade my pns for a while, but have never seemed to find the right balance of function and cost. My heart's desire is an s95, but I just can't justify $400 for a pns when I'm setting pennies aside for lenses etc as well, but the 130 doesn't look bad at all: manual/av/sv modes as well as all the "goodies" with a couple of fun modes like fisheye and tilt-shift. I've been eyeing this series since the 110 (which now changes hands for ~$600 - boy did I goof when I didn't get that via the Canon Loyalty Program!); I don't mind the slightly chunkier size - and after my disappointment with the SD750 am willing to sacrifice supersmall if the quality is better - and the price is excellent right now with it onsale online and locally for $199. Also uses AA batteries, which is useful when travelling.

Anybody here had a chance to use one? Pros/cons?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    HowzitHowzit Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2010
    cameralabs: SX130IS full review

PowerShot_sx130is_front_450.jpg

PowerShot_sx130is_back_250.jpg
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2010
    My sister and her husband shoot with an SX120, but I can't tell you much more than that. The images of my niece are adorable, but I don't think that's necessarily a function of the camera ... :D
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2010
    Tx guys. I've read plenty of reviews, Howzit, was just hoping for some "real life" reports from trusted dgrinners :D After my last pns fiasco - the aforementioned SD750 which had AMAZING reviews and which I have loathed since the day I brought it home - I tend to want to hear from folks I know can take a decent picture as well as reading the review sites... ;)

I still keep vacillating between holding out for the s95 - which sounds like it has every feature I want and then some (manual control AND raw AND decent high iso for a pns AND tiny for factor) - vs the wide-ranging zoom and almost-all-those-features, along with a much lower price, of the sx130. I think I'm leaning towards the latter, but figured that I should do due diligence and ask around first :D

This would definitely be a "throw it in my bag so I always have a camera with me" model.

Of course, since we can now FINALLY switch phone providers, maybe I should just cut my losses and get an iPhone 4. Decisions decisions......
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited November 7, 2010
    I have an S90 and been very, very happy with it. More than even the G10.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,905 moderator
    edited November 7, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    ... After my last pns fiasco - the aforementioned SD750 which had AMAZING reviews and which I have loathed since the day I brought it home - I tend to want to hear from folks I know can take a decent picture as well as reading the review sites... ;) ...

The Canon PowerShot Elph SD750 was popular with many users as well as the reviewers. It would be helpful to know why you hated that camera and what you wish for in a replacement camera.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2010
    It was indeed well-reviewed, and by reputable sources, but mine has always been a disappointment. Maybe my expectations were too high? Dunno. I loved (and still have! My daughter uses it) my A75, which consistently produced sharper, more accurately focused pictures despite its lowly 3mp.

The main problems:

- IQ really isn't that good - many (most?) pictures are soft.
    - AF is incredibly inaccurate and often very slow. Because of this and the soft pix, I returned it once to have it fixed under warrantee, but although they replaced the lens I didn't find it much different when it came back to me.
    - quite bad shutter lag, often linked to above AF issue - it sometimes just WILL NOT focus, and then once it finallydoes grab on to something takes a while to take the picture

On the plus side, the battery life is good and it is indeed small, but I've really never been happy with the images it produced. A few good ones (my first DSS challenge qualifier was actually taken with that camera rolleyes1.gif) but I always felt like it was luck rather than being able to trust it......

What I want is:

- really sharp images. No fuzzies-even-in-bright-light.
    - something small enough to carry most of the time and/or use as a travel camera if I simply can't lug the dSLR rig with me.
    - some manual control
    - some low-light ability (although obviously I'm not going to match what I can with the dslr, it would be nice if it can manage iso400, or even 800 without turning into a snowstorm)
    - affordability. I can't really justify spending a huge amount on it when I'm stashing funds away for the next lens upgrade in due course. I could probably go up to about $300 and live with myself, but I think any more than that is a bit indulgent on my part. Iow, I'm attempting not to succumb to gearlust too badly (although it's not easy! :giggle).

If the s90 was a bit cheaper now the s95 has been released that might be an option, but it appears to be hanging around $359, so it would make sense to spend the extra $40 to get the newer model (if only for the non-slip finish).

ETA: If the CLP had a model I really wanted I'd go that route, but from what I saw of the recent listings they don't have any of the ones that might suit me. Now, a discounted s90 would definitely be of interest.... ;D
  • Options
    HowzitHowzit Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2010
    Tx guys. I've read plenty of reviews, Howzit, was just hoping for some "real life" reports from trusted dgrinners :D ....

Sorry divamum. I have the SX30IS which I picked up from BB for $385. So far I'm loving it but it is not the SX130IS so I cannot advise you.

...I can post some images from the SX30IS if you like. :D
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2010
    Fun comparison site. Frankly, if these are the results, the SX130 looks like an excellent bet for half the price of the s95.

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=1&ma1=1&mo1=1225&p1=9573&ma2=1&mo2=1224&p2=9572&ph=3
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2010
    I have always used Canon pns cameras up until I bought the Nikon P100. I have an A1000IS my wife uses it, A70 before that. I bought my son the SX110IS. All have performed wonderfully. I have not delved much into the manual setting just use them as point n shoots. I bought the P100 from Nikon refurbished (299.99 compared to 500.00 when it first came out)for when I did not want to haul my DSLR equipment around and it fills that bill nice has a 25x zoom. Yes the aa battery option on the Canon is very nice
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2010
    I think I chimed into your previous thread with my endorsement of the sx110. I don't really mind the lack of raw, the SOOC shots are pretty good, and for my work, I don't really need to take multiple shots really quick. Here's a sample image from the 110- I haven't heard anything about the image quality declining, so I'd assume the 130 would be equally as good. I think my 110 met a sad and lonely death (user error during incipient heat stroke) so I'm in the market for the 130 as well.

(original size (shows much detail) here: http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/12875114_YKXZR)
    not exactly your kind of shots though, I can't speak much to indoor low light shots

password dgrin

929459621_rPjCB-L.jpg
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2010
    Fun comparison site. Frankly, if these are the results, the SX130 looks like an excellent bet for half the price of the s95.

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=1&ma1=1&mo1=1225&p1=9573&ma2=1&mo2=1224&p2=9572&ph=3

Remember that your Canon PowerShot Elph SD750 is also known (in other parts of the world) as the Ixus 75. That site shows comparative samples (from a different subject) and timings of that camera too. If you are unhappy with the SD750 you will, most likely, also be unhappy with the SX130.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2010
    Oo, thanks Ziggy - I'd totally forgotten that Canon renamed those models. Very interesting comparison indeed and gives me something more to go on. It's of particular interest to see how the IS in the newer camera makes a big difference in useability.

I wonder if I just got a lemon with my 750? A lot of those samples look much better than anything I get with it!

Tx for chiming in Kolibri et al - K, those shots are spectacular and if they've kept the same quality of optics then I'd be thrilled with that kind of uality. I could kick myself for not getting that sx110 via the CLP when I considered it 18mos ago! I've spent quite some time just "putting up" with my Elph (hence why I keep popping up asking questions about alternative pns models I'm considering as the available products and market shift yet again!) but really, at some point I just need to get on with it. We'll see if I finally take the plunge this time... rolleyes1.gif I think I need to check Target's return policy - they have the 130 for $199 and if they accept returns without a restocking fee, then that might be the way to go.....

Thanks for the input! thumb.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited November 8, 2010
    I wonder if I just got a lemon with my 750? A lot of those samples look much better than anything I get with it!

I think your comments were spot on about the 750. I have one I think is just so-so compared to past P&S's from Canon. I mostly use it for dirt biking since if it gets crushed, I'm OK with that.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2010
    I think your comments were spot on about the 750. I have one I think is just so-so compared to past P&S's from Canon.

Ok, it's not just me then :whew rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2010
    Adorama ftw (yet again)! clap.gif They also have the sx130 for $199 (looks like it's a Canon rebate driving the price down this week), no tax since I'm not in NY, free shipping and a guaranteed return policy. Kind of a no-brainer to give it a try.... We may be travelling in January and while it will kill me not to have a dSLR with me, I'm also not sure I can face carrying the full rig with me given the potential itinerary, so I'm trying to get a jump on this now. I'll report back on this model and let you know how I like it, or whether I succumb to the lure of the s90/95 in the end after all...
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2010
    Ok, it finally arrived. Haven't had a chance to test extensively yet, but so far ... meh. Not bad, but not great either. Most significantly it's really sloowwww to recycle after the flash has been used. The faux mini and fisheye modes are fun, but not sure yet if it will deliver the kind of optical quality I want overall. The slower lens is surprisingly not a big deal, especially since it's pretty easy to trick it into shallow depth of field by using the longer end of the zoom+macro mode :D

I'll give it a more significant run through its paces in daylight tomorrow, but if not, I guess I may have to dip into the lens fund and somehow find the extra for the S95. :(:

More in due course.....
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2010
    Ok, short version: I should always listen to Ziggy :D It does indeed have many of the same problems as my 750 in terms of slowness to focus and only "ok" image quality. The manual settings and modes are great, but the overall quality isn't what I want for my uses and since it isn't a significant enough improvement over what I've already got, back it goes. It was worth a try!

I'd describe it as a great camera for a "non-photographer" photographer. It offers more than a basic pns, the superzoom could be very useful if you were (for instance) travelling and it's not a bad camera, but it's not the one for me.

Back to counting pennies for the s95.......
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2010
    ... Back to counting pennies for the s95.......

I see that refurbished S90 cameras are still available for $280USD:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_262361_-1
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2010
    This morning, the s95 was $369 at Adorama. Tonight, it's gone back up to $389. Harumph.

Yeah, I saw thos refurbs; I'm considering it. But I really am digging the hdr and faux TS modes of the s95, so am trying to decide if it's worth holding out just a little bit longer... Honestly, by the time I finally replace this pns it's going to be three generations down the line and you'll all be sick to death of my wittering on about it every couple of months!! :hide rolleyes1.gif