Options

Additional/favorite wedding lens

kyeeziekyeezie Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
edited November 8, 2010 in Weddings
What is your favorite lens to use at a wedding and why? I currently have the nikon kit lens, tamron 17-50mm 2.8, nikon 50 1.8, and nikon 70-300 4.6-5.6 VR. I like the long lens but only with plenty of light but I am finding myself using the tamron the most. Anyway, I would like to make an addition, another for low light and want some suggestions. I use the Nikon D200. Would like to stay under 350ish...is that even possible? I really but I just fine the tamron easier for me to use. Oh, thinking about adding the sigma 105 2.8 macro...thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2010
    I love my newly minted 35L (I was using the 24L as my mainstay for a while before that) and my 135L! 35L is great for PJing and 135 is great for stalking..

But, Kyeezie, if you feel like you need better lenses to shoot weddings, why don't you just rent them till you make the green to eventually purchase them? I spent an entire year and a half renting gear.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    I shot for years with a single lens.......a Sigma 70-210 with macro capabilities.....it was a 2.8-4, then I moved up to a Sigma 70-210f2.8.......then I added a Sigma 28-70 and found it was not wide enuff for my liking so I upgraded to a Sigma 24-70f2.8......now it is a combo of Nikon 18-70 and Nikon 70-200 the 18-70 will be upgraded to a sigma 17-70f2.8-4..........since I do not like switching lenses during a shoot, whether it be a portrait or wedding, I am looking at selling all my Nikon lenses and going back to Sigma as my most used lenses have always been capable of close focusing for ring shots and other times I need to focus close.......I also hate having to crop a shot down to get the perspective I want.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    I am going to start renting for my next wedding. I am hoping to get one new one and rent an expensive one. That was a reason for asking about your favorite lenses. I have a few ideas just from searching the board. I think one i was looking into renting was a sigma ( something like 50-150 2.8 or something like that). I was looking to purchase the macro used from here so we will see what happens. The bride wants extra fun pictures which is why I am looking into things(off camera flash). But this is a good time for me to have some time to experiment. Oh, and I am trying to lighten my load a little.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    My gear choice will definitely NOT lighten your load.......but switching back to only Sigma gear will definitely add a few extra bucks into my pocket book....but I am also buying
    lenses to move on up to full frame, except for the 17-70, that is def. a crop lens.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2010
    kyeezie wrote: »
    I am going to start renting for my next wedding. I am hoping to get one new one and rent an expensive one. That was a reason for asking about your favorite lenses. I have a few ideas just from searching the board. I think one i was looking into renting was a sigma ( something like 50-150 2.8 or something like that). I was looking to purchase the macro used from here so we will see what happens. The bride wants extra fun pictures which is why I am looking into things(off camera flash). But this is a good time for me to have some time to experiment. Oh, and I am trying to lighten my load a little.
    If you're shooting on a crop sensor, the Sigma 50-150 2.8 will be the love of your life. There's a reason that they originally made 70-200 for full-frame, it just WORKS as a zoom range. On a crop sensor it is just not as practical unless you're shooting sports where more is always better. In close quarters in photojournalistic situations, however, I just love love love the 50-150.

But I digress.

My current favorite wedding lens is, on full-frame, either the 35mm focal length or the 85m focal length, I don't know if I could live without either.

However it REALLY depends on your style. You should invest the most money in the lens that suits your style the best, NOT whichever lens we recommend. But that's what renting is for, of course. Find your favorite focal lengths, and consider buying either a prime or a zoom within that range. If you don't know what your favorite focal range is, just check the data in your Bridge or Lightroom filtering system. If you don't think you have ANY preference whatsoever though, I would definitely keep renting until you can sense that a style is indeed emerging...

Good luck!
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2010
    My favorite lens is probably the 85 1.2... very awesomely shop and the most amazing bokeh. Great for portraits.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2010
    If you're shooting on a crop sensor, the Sigma 50-150 2.8 will be the love of your life. There's a reason that they originally made 70-200 for full-frame, it just WORKS as a zoom range.

I rented this lens from borrow lenses and you are right, it is the new love of my life,iloveyou.gif and am sad to have to send it back today. It was perfect for the wedding I was shooting and that will be my next lens investment. Thanks again for everyone's advice though! It took some thinking about what I was going to rent. I was in love with this lens after my first shot of my husband playing the drums on rockband video game. My first words were, man, this is wicked sharp. Then I said, this is not good though, because now I want this. Anyway, thanks again for the advice!!
  • Options
    jdorseydesignjdorseydesign Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2010
    If you're shooting on a crop sensor, the Sigma 50-150 2.8 will be the love of your life. There's a reason that they originally made 70-200 for full-frame, it just WORKS as a zoom range.

I rented this lens from borrow lenses and you are right, it is the new love of my life,iloveyou.gif and am sad to have to send it back today. It was perfect for the wedding I was shooting and that will be my next lens investment. Thanks again for everyone's advice though! It took some thinking about what I was going to rent. I was in love with this lens after my first shot of my husband playing the drums on rockband video game. My first words were, man, this is wicked sharp. Then I said, this is not good though, because now I want this. Anyway, thanks again for the advice!!

Wow, I've been looking online and it looks like the 50-150 has been discontinued and is out of stock in lots of places....

I should note, it's the Nikon that is out of stock, I can find a few Canon mounts for it.
    J Dorsey Design Photography • jdorseydesign.com • Facebook Fan/Friend • Twitter @bartdorsey
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2010

Wow, I've been looking online and it looks like the 50-150 has been discontinued and is out of stock in lots of places....

I should note, it's the Nikon that is out of stock, I can find a few Canon mounts for it.
    Not discontinued just yet!

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/50-150mm-f28-ex-dc-apo-hsm-ii-sigma

I should note however that being out of stock can be a good sign, it could mean an OS version is on the horizon! (If so, I'd gladly sell you my beat-up 50-150 mk1!) :-P

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2010
    (If so, I'd gladly sell you my beat-up 50-150 mk1!) :-P

=Matt=[/QUOTE]

Can I call first dibs on that??bowdown.gif
  • Options
    WeiselWeisel Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2010
    My favorite lens which I use 90% of the time is the Canon 24-70 2.8L I don't own it yet, but I rent it. I need to charge more, so I can buy one asap. With my full frame 5D, I rarely need anything wider. I wish it were a 10-250L though! (dream on)
    Canon 5D MK IV | 24-70 2.8L USM | 50mm F1.4 USM | 70-200mm F2.8L | AB 800 light | 430EXII speedlight (x2) | Lowel iLight | Cybersync remotes | bag of trail mix |
    My Weddings WebsiteBlog
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2010
    I shoot the majority of my weddings w/ 35L and 85L. 85L probably gets my all time favorite photos for sure, it's just such an amazing lens! I own 5 other lenses in addition to those, but I only use them for certain specialty shots, the rest of the time I just leave those 2 lenses on my bodies.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2010
    Shima wrote: »
    I shoot the majority of my weddings w/ 35L and 85L. 85L probably gets my all time favorite photos for sure, it's just such an amazing lens! I own 5 other lenses in addition to those, but I only use them for certain specialty shots, the rest of the time I just leave those 2 lenses on my bodies.

85L is next on my "kill the bank account" list. rolleyes1.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2010
    Recently I have been shooting with either the 35 & 135 (indoors) or 16-35 & 135 (outdoors). Of course I keep an extra lens or two nearby incase I change my mood, but those are my starting points.
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2010
    I'm a big lens-renter. lensprotogo.com has been awesome, I highly recommend them.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    JRDPHOTOGRAPHYJRDPHOTOGRAPHY Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited November 8, 2010
    Canon200mm 1.8L
    While I love my 300 2.8 and 85 1.2's at weddings, the 200 1.8L is the best for Bokeh for me.

1083614614_wDMrH-M.jpg
    1083613118_Cxuur-M.jpg
    1083615080_3pfdC-M.jpg
    1083613794_TXaQS-M.jpg
    1083640750_THkZj-L.jpg