Options

Canon IXY 500 operating temperature

QuasimodoQuasimodo Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited June 6, 2004 in Cameras
Hey all,
Im new to the forum :) and i just got myself a Canon S500/IXUS/IXY (depending on your location) and was wondering if somebody could advise me what the consequences of shooting in 'snowy' conditions like a ski field would be? is condensation on internal workings of the camer an issue? will bad stuff happen to my new pride and joy?

Please offer any advise you might have regarding this coz im planning a snowboarding trip shortly, and want to take lots of pictures in the snow :D

Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2004
    shoot away !
    Quasimodo wrote:
    Hey all,
    Im new to the forum :) and i just got myself a Canon S500/IXUS/IXY (depending on your location) and was wondering if somebody could advise me what the consequences of shooting in 'snowy' conditions like a ski field would be? is condensation on internal workings of the camer an issue? will bad stuff happen to my new pride and joy?

Please offer any advise you might have regarding this coz im planning a snowboarding trip shortly, and want to take lots of pictures in the snow :D

Cheers.

i shoot in the snow all the time. not a problem. just be careful about direct dampness!

good luck
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited June 6, 2004
    Quasimodo wrote:
    Hey all,

Cheers.
    Getting snow flakes on your camera is not a problem.
    Modern cameras tolerate cold very well but batteries will die much quicker if they get cold tho. May need to keep the battery next to your torso to keep it warm. Not such a good idea to keep your camera next to your torso to keep it warm though, because of condensation when the cold camera reutrns to a warm moist environ.lickout.gif

Lanscape photogs who shoot out in real cold conditions for several hours ( kind of like snowboarding), take along a plastic garbage bag and place the camera inside it with the mouth of the bag tied shut before returning to a warm building. After several hours when the camera has rewarmed inside the dry bag, it can safely be removed. The real concerns are condensation in the electronics or between lens elements.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    QuasimodoQuasimodo Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 6, 2004
    Hey guys thanks for your tips :)
    I'm looking forward to giving it a shot!!

So, just be careful about the transition from freezing to warm huh? i think i can manage that :)

Thanks again.