Options

White birds, comments?

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited August 18, 2005 in Wildlife
This is when I first got to Magnolia. The sky is a Carolina crummy hazy sky, it is/was hot. That is why I took this shot and why I worked it up. There are 4 immature blue herons. Two have their mouths wide open, they are not talking, they are panting. Their little tongues are showing. I just find it interesting. I never knew birds did that until a few weeks ago.

32556687-L.jpg

Below is an egret. I could not get rid of the dark underarm stuff w/o it looking very fake. I would be interested if someone else has a way to do it. I have been able to sometimes, but not here. This is cropped from a slightly bigger photo w more green area. ??

32556695-L.jpg

I just found this little blue juvenile to be interesting in the way he/she appeared to be walking on the green water.
Any suggestions on how to do eye color in a shot like this, I would appreciate that.

32556701-L.jpg

The next one is kind of centered. I went right on a crop, I went left, I ended up in the middle. ???

32556683-L.jpg

That is all I have from the other day. Barring some unthought of desire to shoot mid day here, I plan to mail off this lens this afternoon. So the next very long shots will hopefully come from my "new" 400 f5.6 L from John Mueller. In the meantime, I still have my 70-200L and my 17-40L with extenders.

ginger (I should go check out the wood storks, but it is hot here, very!)

Comments are welcome, I am not emotionally invested in these shots.
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    The first shot is pretty good. You exposed it well under what looks to be lousy light. The other three are a bit over exposed. It looks like you were shooting in some very harsh light. When the light is like that I open up a Corona and hop into the hot tub. I'll hang out there for awhile getting mellow and waiting for some better light. :slurp
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2005
    You know what has happened, I think. The birds have moved, so I did, too.

There used to be a bunch closer in nesting on a couple of trees right where I came in.

Now they are all at a 90 degree angle (I think that is right. It is like a big square and you can only walk effectively on two sides.) I am now walking past where I used to shoot (and where I took the first shot of the panting birds), I am walking past that and hanging a right. The Night Heron is often there, I have had good photos of him there, but not from the direction I took the photo that evening. Same w the green heron, but they are not as plentiful at all. And all the birds are much further away than they were when nesting in those few close trees.

I think mornings would be just as bad, just from a different direction. But early morning??? Good gosh, I will have to think on that. And this place doesn't open until 8 or 8:30.

It took me longer than this to find out that the green growth was messing up my shots. So the good news is that I now know that my problem is where the birds are now. Cool, real cool.

I have always had problems shooting there, but I could fall back on the "good" area...............and the birds aren't there anymore.

I appreciate the comments, I really do.

no hot tub, no corona?,
    and light, right now the sky is hazy, as it often is. Last summer must have been a fluke. I wasn't shooting birds, I know that, I was hanging at the beach. Mornings and evenings. This year they have put up a bunch of ugly signs, and even so it is the same beach. Samo, samo, so to speak, except uglier. And they are building a big ugly house right in front of the lighthouse.

I will look on Andy's advice and watch for light. I do know that Magnolia, where any birds are, it does not get good sunsets, and I don't feel safe there that late. It is the only place, other than the beach, that allows people to stay past 5 or 6. I don't feel safe either place walking out after dark.

ginger
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    The important thing...
    ...is that you were out there shooting! I would love to see these scenes with the eye.

One program that has become indispensable to me and a big time saver is iCorrect Editlab. It is very powerful and easy to learn and use.

You can read about it here: http://www.pictocolor.com/editlab/default.htm
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2005
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    ...is that you were out there shooting! I would love to see these scenes with the eye.

One program that has become indispensable to me and a big time saver is iCorrect Editlab. It is very powerful and easy to learn and use.

You can read about it here: http://www.pictocolor.com/editlab/default.htm
    Hi, Ric, I don't want you to think that I didn't see this, or that I ignored it. I used your advice and spent several hours downloading the example and using it on the night heron photo to see what it would have done on that one.

So I was busy trying out your suggestion. I have to keep this post somewhere, if I were to have $100.00, which I don't, I would be saving it for when I could afford CS2, but I was interested enough to try it out.

I do thank you so much, it is still on my computer, I assume. I had never downloaded a plug in successfully before, so that took more time than it might for most people.

I might try it on some more photos. It is so frustrating. If I am shooting in all the wrong light then this thing would not make a difference.

How do you find that it helps you so much. I have CS. I found a lot of the same problems I was having with CS. Actually, I should have less trouble with CS. I did want more red in the eye, it did that, but it also put red where I didn't want it. Since it was the first time I had used it, I don't know if there is a way to stop that.

It did make the "water" less bright, kind of, the water is pretty washed out. I think blown is better than blue streaks.

But I really appreciate the suggestion. I wish I knew that it worked that well, I would scrape up the money somehow. But if it just makes things easier, I can't afford easier when I can't take the pictures to work up, if that makes sense. I need to take good photos, or something.ne_nau.gif

Ric, I just worked with that iCorrect thing a whole bit. I like it, I really do. If it were 25.00 I would buy it, if it were 50.00, I would think very hard about buying it, but $100.00, it would hurt a lot. Also, since I haven't bought it, once I was through working on the photos, it wouldn't let me see them anymore. So I couldn't see them large and make further corrections. That is important, the eye detail and stuff. But it was nice to see the colors and things fall into line better than I had done earlier. And with much less stress.

ginger:D