Options

Bay Photo Giclee Canvas Stretched Price Inconsistency

haynesmahaynesma Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited January 11, 2011 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hi,

I am new to smugmug and bay photo, so I hope my question is just my confusion.

I am interested in giclee canvas gallery wrap. Bay Photo offers two types of canvas prints, one is Giclee and is printed directly onto the canvas. This is the more expensive option.

The other way is to print the photo on photo paper and then mount (with heat and pressure) the print to the canvas.

Both of these descriptions are from the Bay Photo catalog.

Looking at the canvas SmugMug offers from Bay Photo, it says it is directly printed on canvas also, meaning it is the same as the more expensive option.

But comparing prices, this does not make sense.

16x20 Giclee Gallery wrap Stretched is $86.00 (Bay Photo) and $59.99 (Smugmug)
16x20 Print mounted on Canvas Stretched is $54.50(Bay Photos) and not available on SmugMug

Also note that these prices are out of the Bay Photo Economy (no color correction) ROES software and catalog.

What am I missing here? Could the product being offered by SmugMug be the lower end print on photo paper mounted on canvas? If so, the SmugMug description is wrong.

I have a similar pricing problem with plain ole glossy prints:
Bay Photo (no color correction) 16x20 glossy print = 13.5
SmugMug 16x20 glossy print = 17.99

or

Bay Photo (no color correction) 20x24 glossy print = 19.99
SmugMug 20x24 glossy print = 22.99

I verified the Bay Photo prices in both the ROES software and their on-line catalog.

Please point me in the right direction so I can get my pricing straightened out.

Thank you very much

Mark
mark@haynesphoto.com

What

Comments

• Options
    HinsonHinson Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    Mark; just happened on this and definitely see your confusion. I had never compared the SM prices to Bays but definitely will. Since SM is getting a 15% commission on everything we sell, there is no reason for an additional mark up to the Bay prices. Unfortunately, because of some problems, SM is read-only right now. As soon as they are back online, I'll start checking and let you know what I find. I'm most interested in the stretch canvas question. If SM is not offering the Giclee (inkjet) canvas, then I"ll have to rethink my subscription. Many of my clients like the stretched canvas images of their cars and I don't like the paper bonded to canvas type.

Hinson
    Serving Him by Serving Others
    www.Jerrywhitephotography.com
  • Options
    rnrjoshrnrjosh Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    All of the canvas items SmugMug offers through Bay Photo are the giclee canvas products (inkjet process where image is printed directly on the canvas). We're not offering the other type of photgraphic paper/peeled canvases through the SmugMug shopping cart at this time.

The pricing you see through Bay Photo directly may not match the prices in the SmugMug cart exactly. Some may be a bit higher, some may be lower. But, all the canvas products are indeed the giclee canvas products, to answer your question.
    Josh
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    HinsonHinson Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    rnrjosh wrote: »
    All of the canvas items SmugMug offers through Bay Photo are the giclee canvas products (inkjet process where image is printed directly on the canvas). We're not offering the other type of photgraphic paper/peeled canvases through the SmugMug shopping cart at this time.

This is good to know. Thanks for the prompt response.
    Serving Him by Serving Others
    www.Jerrywhitephotography.com
  • Options
    haynesmahaynesma Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited November 15, 2010
    Thanks for the response rnrjosh and Hinson.

Very good to know that you are offering the hi-end canvas Giclee. That is what my clients want as well.

But this does beg the question about the difference in price. I am seeing a 46% difference.

Again, 16x20 Giclee Gallery wrap Stretched is $86.00 (Bay Photo) and $59.99 (Smugmug)

Smugmug is getting the short end here, by 46%. Something seems amiss.

Mark
  • Options
    CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2011
    Has anyone gotten one of the canvases from SM i would like to see and hear how they looked compare to my other sources.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited January 11, 2011
    CookieS wrote: »
    Has anyone gotten one of the canvases from SM i would like to see and hear how they looked compare to my other sources.
    I have several canvas prints that I ordered from Smug / Bay Photo, and the quality is great. I am very happy with them.

I can't help with a comparison to your other sources though. You might consider ordering a small canvas yourself so you can look at the two side-by-side.

--- Denise
  • Options
    MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2011
    I have a few of the canvas boards, and love them. Great quality. We put a small foam block on the back to float them off the wall and they look great.