Options

Space Station flyover

cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
edited November 18, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
20101113-_CAB3875.jpg

I know it's not the greatest photo in the world, but I am very proud of it. In my mind, it's a sign that maybe all this stuff I'm reading and practicing is paying off. Most of my photos are slightly glorified snapshots, although I do try and pay attention to composition, background, exposure, etc, and I feel myself improving as I develop more of a routine and practice practice practice!

How this was manifested in this shot was that I knew the ISS would be passing overhead on Saturday evening. I was a little concerned that it would be dark enough by 5:15pm, but it turned out okay. I thought about how I wanted to shoot it, and decided instead of a shot of just the sky that I wanted something in the foreground to "ground" the shot. Next time I'll try and put myself in place with something more interesting for it to fly over. I went with manual mode while I normally use aperture priority. Anyway, basically I'm happy because this is one of my first really "planned" shots, and while not spectacular, it worked out as intended, and you could ask my wife, I was positively giddy after it was done. :D

The down-sizing for upload created more banding than I want - it looks a ton better on LR, so I will want to play with it some more, but this is good enough to get the idea across. So at the risk of breaking my arm patting myself on the back, for me, this is one of those shots that makes me want to keep going and getting better!
Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
My site 365 Project

Comments

• Options
    dsloandsloan Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    clap.gif awesome!
    D300s : Nikkor 35 f/1.8 : Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 : Sigma 85 f/1.4
    won't you like me on facebook?
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    Very cool! How long was the exposure on this one? I'd love to try to capture it one day. I saw the ISS fly over when I was out in PA over the summer, but it was just before dark, and I had about 2 minutes notice (the local weatherman reported it during the news...) so I wasn't able to get a shot.
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2010
    This shot was 36 seconds at 42mm, f/4, ISO200. Of course, since the viewfinder was blacked out, I don't know if the exposure needed to be that long. I waited until I was "pretty sure" that it had passed out of the field of view, then released the cable. I had long exposure noise reduction on, so it took another 36s until I could take another shot. I ended up getting 3 shots, but this was my favorite. ISS was above the horizon for about 4 minutes at my location, and since I was behind those trees, it took a bit to go from horizon to my view of it.

When I first saw it, I wasn't sure it was ISS, as it was VERY bright and moving fast enough that I first thought it might be a plane.

If you go here you can enter your location and it will tell you when it will pass you, and at exactly what angle to look for it. For me, Saturday night was perfect, it was early enough in the evening that I got to take my 3y/o daughter out with me to see a moving star. Plus, it was almost directly overhead at 82 degrees max elevation. My next reasonably long sighting (4 min) is on Saturday, but at 5:48am. Not likely to get out and set up for that one. ;-)
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited November 15, 2010
    Well done. thumb.gif
  • Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    Howdy,

Wonderfully done, and your research and hardwork really
    paid off on this one.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    That is a cool photo. My hubby thought he saw it, but he didn't have the camera.

Just looked at the link...I'm gonna watch for it sometime :D
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2010
    Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the comments.
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2010
    Thanks for the details on the shot, Cab. Checking the website, there should be a good flyover in my neighborhood just after sunset tonight. Unfortunately, all the clouds and rain in the forecast may get in the way...:cry
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    I really like the shot and the details you shared. Time to go hurl my url to see if and when it is my neck of the woods.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    JChurillJChurill Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    The art in the capture can far exceed the image itself. This is one such image! Great shot!
    Blending The Arts!